House Price Crash Forum

Cheap 10 day holiday - any ideas

southmartin

HOLA441

I have a golden opportunity to get away for about 10 days this April... however I really don't know where to go. 

I need a place that's cheap to live, ideally English speaking, but with good internet access and lots of things to see and do. Ideally want to avoid the chav spots in Europe as I'll get very bored. India might be an option (though 10 days might be too short if I try to fit too much in). US is great, but then it's not exactly cheap to be there

Help!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

If you are tempted by India maybe Sri Lanka, problem is comms is not totally up to spec but is cheap once out there and having recently got its terrorist issues behind it has only just started the large scale development of tourism so thus far is relatively untouched by the sampling effect that tourism has after a while.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Luxor, Egypt? Won't be too hot yet, loads to see and cheap. One of the most genuinely interesting places I've ever visited.

While there, you could take a side-trip on the train up to Cairo for the pyramids. or hop over to the Red Sea.

Only downside is a vanishing chance of being slaughtered by Islamic militants, but your odds are good.

HOLA447
3 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Luxor, Egypt? Won't be too hot yet; loads to see and reasonably cheap. You could conceivably be slaughtered by Islamic militants but the odd of that are low.

I've been to Egypt a few times. It's probably safer than Belgium.:mellow:

Although you will end up with a suitcase full of tat!

HOLA448
HOLA449

If you can get a cheap flight the US can be great value. Hire the base car (with the flight, much cheaper, I use Dial a Flight for this and the flight), pick up the discount book at the state line visitor centre on the interstate to get a coupon room (usually twenty dollars off), eat at diners.

It's very cheap if you do it this way and you can go wherever takes your fancy, beach for a couple of days, mountains or cities: the choice is yours.

I only ever pay full price for one hotel room: the first night one as you need this for an initial address.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

IMO it's not worth visiting the USA or India for ten days. For the US it might be ok but India needs a fortnight minimum. 

I would suggest the following, all places I have visited, which have reasonable weather (mild and sunny) at this time of year, with plenty to see and do. All easily accessible by budget airlines. 

Malta
Mallorca
Rhodes
Crete
Gran Canaria (warmest of the list) 
Biarritz (France, weather will be cooler than others on list but probably ok)
Lisbon
Seville

If you stay in an air bnb you won't risk ending up in a chav resort as you would do on a cheap package deal. Also, air bnb works out cheaper if you can use the kitchen to prepare your meals. The hosts are often very friendly as well. 

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, onlyme2 said:

If you are tempted by India maybe Sri Lanka, problem is comms is not totally up to spec but is cheap once out there and having recently got its terrorist issues behind it has only just started the large scale development of tourism so thus far is relatively untouched by the sampling effect that tourism has after a while.

+1. Yep was there last March and can fully recommend. People generally freindly and service oriented. Cheap accommodation available as is eating out particularly if you like the local spicy food. Though obviously more expensive now since GBP has taken a hit.

Plenty to do culturally with buddist and hindu sites. Ancient settlements on top of hills with stunning views. And the highlight for us seeing lots of elephants on safari. There is also good snorkeling and scuba diving. But we didn't do it on our visit.

If you want more info PM me and I'll give you places names and more info as required.

As per above, flight time might be a bit of a pain just for ten days. Our was about fourteen hours out of Manchester but we did get to fly on the A380 which was fun.

HOLA4413

Thanks for suggestions so far... I Just thought I had found the ideal thing - it was an 'RV return from Las Vegas to Texas' - they give you 10 days to get it back to them (a previous customer is doing a one-way, and you're basically doing them a favour). You have to pay – get this – $1 per day for the RV, plus most of your fuel

The only downsides was the £400 flights each way (Texas one was a 21hr with 2 stops also) ****!!

Hell of a road trip for under a grand though

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
16 minutes ago, southmartin said:

Thanks for suggestions so far... I Just thought I had found the ideal thing - it was an 'RV return from Las Vegas to Texas' - they give you 10 days to get it back to them (a previous customer is doing a one-way, and you're basically doing them a favour). You have to pay – get this – $1 per day for the RV, plus most of your fuel

The only downsides was the £400 flights each way (Texas one was a 21hr with 2 stops also) ****!!

Hell of a road trip for under a grand though

That's brilliant, not heard of that before.

HOLA4416

These one way things are generally not bookable well in advance and are more of a few days in advance thing - if that. From when I have looked into them anyway.

You also get autodriveaway in the US for folk relocating. Again though it can be very hit and miss. Ive tried a few times but never been lucky enough to have one available on the right route. I do know of someone who got a Mustang convertible East to West coast though - so it does happen.

HOLA4417
7 minutes ago, ccc said:

These one way things are generally not bookable well in advance and are more of a few days in advance thing - if that. From when I have looked into them anyway.

You also get autodriveaway in the US for folk relocating. Again though it can be very hit and miss. Ive tried a few times but never been lucky enough to have one available on the right route. I do know of someone who got a Mustang convertible East to West coast though - so it does happen.

*dream holiday*

HOLA4418

What's wrong with a Mustang convertible? Better than a Pontiac Sunbird. And you can still can still get bits

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
9 hours ago, southmartin said:

I have a golden opportunity to get away for about 10 days this April... however I really don't know where to go. 

I need a place that's cheap to live, ideally English speaking, but with good internet access and lots of things to see and do. Ideally want to avoid the chav spots in Europe as I'll get very bored. India might be an option (though 10 days might be too short if I try to fit too much in). US is great, but then it's not exactly cheap to be there

Help!

why not isreal?

easyjet flights are dirt cheap, most people speak english, and it's got meditteranean coast so nice and warm...and turkey is basically buggered now because you can't take laptops...and the food is first class.

..just avoid the public holidays...ie easter/passover and september/sukkot are crazy prices....ideal time to go is may or june, or end of october.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
17 hours ago, oracle said:

why not isreal?

easyjet flights are dirt cheap, most people speak english, and it's got meditteranean coast so nice and warm...and turkey is basically buggered now because you can't take laptops...and the food is first class.

..just avoid the public holidays...ie easter/passover and september/sukkot are crazy prices....ideal time to go is may or june, or end of october.

+1

Civilised, safe and fascinating

And smoking hot chicks

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived