House Price Crash Forum

Cambridge drops 10%

neuvilla

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

That's interesting then: at this time Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire look set to cross?

Based upon the graph, the two have been at approximate parity before, but Cambridge appears to lead the wider area up and down. Wish the data extended further back to confirm this.

Or, perhaps this is a new era of relative pricing, reflecting the fact that living in Cambridge is fact, not that amazing (from my own experience of residing in the overpriced, crowded, smelly and socially divided car park).

HOLA446
HOLA447
44 minutes ago, btd1981 said:

Or, perhaps this is a new era of relative pricing, reflecting the fact that living in Cambridge is fact, not that amazing (from my own experience of residing in the overpriced, crowded, smelly and socially divided car park).

Yes. Cambridge isn't special at all...it's an ok place to live - a bit boring if you like topography but not bad. 

But where the emperor really has no clothes is re: salaries. They are, in the large part, pathetic. People have been suffering under a long standing delusion that they are lucky to be doing 'gods work' and somehow seduced themselves into thinking it was worth paying for the privilege to live here. It's totally backwards.

HOLA448
42 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Yes. Cambridge isn't special at all...it's an ok place to live - a bit boring if you like topography but not bad. 

But where the emperor really has no clothes is re: salaries. They are, in the large part, pathetic. People have been suffering under a long standing delusion that they are lucky to be doing 'gods work' and somehow seduced themselves into thinking it was worth paying for the privilege to live here. It's totally backwards.

You're about the only Cantabrigian that thinks so. I'm usually told to shut the f%5k up up when I try and explain that a terraced house in Cambridge could get you an executive property in its own grounds elsewhere. They tell me it's special, so i guess it must be.

HOLA449

I'm thinking about selling/buying in Cambridge in the next few months.

Valuer coming round next week.

Viewing one specific property in next few days.

Likely I won't end up doing it as I'll decide the sums of money involved are ridiculous.

Market has slowed dramatically though and number of properties on the market much higher. However yet to see anything like 10% falls in asking price in my area of the city. Still all time high.

Edit - not quite true. Last recorded sale in my street is slightly higher (3%) than current asking price of similar property. So 5% fall from peak possible.

Edited by Timak

HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Frugal Git said:

The things is, these people (scientists, innovators) should be getting paid well, but instead the money goes to spivs in the city who buy properties in the area because of its prestige. Loose lending and speculation are the cause.

HOLA4411
2 hours ago, rantnrave said:

Throw in a sterling devaluation too and the Chinese still aren't tempted to buy back in?

They are subject to currency controls and can't get their money out as easily any more. Vancouver has recently had a drop of ~50% in sales of 3-bed houses, possibly in part for this reason.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The 10-12% average price drop isn't really the whole story, though. Lower quartile prices are still rising, average price per square meter is rising and time to sell is dropping again.

This would all suggest the drop is to do with the properties on the higher end skewing the average. The fact that the lower quartile is still rising in price is much more significant in terms of affordability

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, MuTron1 said:

The 10-12% average price drop isn't really the whole story, though. Lower quartile prices are still rising, average price per square meter is rising and time to sell is dropping again.

This would all suggest the drop is to do with the properties on the higher end skewing the average. The fact that the lower quartile is still rising in price is much more significant in terms of affordability

You're right. But, I'd assume that price reductions at the top would have, maybe further down the line, some effect of prices at the bottom. Its just an assumption, and I would like to see some analysis of this sort of thing from Cambridge or elsewhere. 

HOLA4418

Went to my first house viewing in over 10 years in Cambridge this morning.

I had arranged to meet the agent at the property. On turning up I discovered it was an open-house viewing (nobody else knew that either). 17 lots of potential buyers shuffling around a house someone has died in very recently, the entire house stuffed with a lifetime's possessions, food still in the kitchen, expensive electronics left out on view.

Agent said they had already had 2 above asking price offers that morning and it would be best and final offers by Monday. Only those who could complete asap would be considered.

Ruled us out. 

If there is a slow down it wasn't in evidence this morning.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
On 3/25/2017 at 2:26 PM, Timak said:

Went to my first house viewing in over 10 years in Cambridge this morning.

I had arranged to meet the agent at the property. On turning up I discovered it was an open-house viewing (nobody else knew that either). 17 lots of potential buyers shuffling around a house someone has died in very recently, the entire house stuffed with a lifetime's possessions, food still in the kitchen, expensive electronics left out on view.

Agent said they had already had 2 above asking price offers that morning and it would be best and final offers by Monday. Only those who could complete asap would be considered.

Ruled us out. 

If there is a slow down it wasn't in evidence this morning.

House was on for £400k, there are 9 offers on the table and it has gone to best and final offers.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425