CunningPlan

Energy Efficiency - Next year's landlord headache

fru-gal   
26 minutes ago, macca13 said:

So I rang British gas and the pre pay meters they supply would need to be ripped out and replaced to pay monthly. There is only 1 tarrif (most expensive) on pre pay and the pre pay smart meters are different to their monthly smart meters.. 

I rang other providers and they told me British gas smart meters are not compatible with their systems.. so the meter would need to be ripped out..

lots of hassle, a leaving charge per service and a meter changes.. and get this all approved by the landlord.. 

so I bought a smart thermostat so the heating/hot water only works when i want it 2. Has saved me money, fitted it myself. The thermostat that was connected was toast and the timer made the heating and hot water come on at the same time, now I can control them seperatly. Changed every bulb to energy saving, kept the old bulbs/stat to put back when I leave. 

Deposit protected

If you can get access to your loft, you can bulk buy the stuff to line it or buy loads of bubble wrap (I know it sounds crazy but I know a few people who have insulated that way). Lots of videos on Youtube.

39 minutes ago, macca13 said:

So I rang British gas and the pre pay meters they supply would need to be ripped out and replaced to pay monthly. There is only 1 tarrif (most expensive) on pre pay and the pre pay smart meters are different to their monthly smart meters.. 

I rang other providers and they told me British gas smart meters are not compatible with their systems.. so the meter would need to be ripped out..

lots of hassle, a leaving charge per service and a meter changes.. and get this all approved by the landlord.. 

I had a meter changed in a rental from pre-pay to billed about 5 years ago - they did this without charge as well. I didn't inform the landlord; he didn't inform me it was pre-paid before I moved in, and I believe the unfair terms in contracts legislation would mean this is ok to do anyway. i.e. a person shouldn't be forced on to a higher cost of energy with no justification.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/get-a-better-energy-deal/switching-energy-supplier-if-youre-a-tenant/

Having prepayment meters removed or installed

Your landlord can’t stop you replacing a prepayment meter with a normal meterthat lets you pay after using energy rather than in advance. You don’t need your landlord’s permission to do this.

If you get behind on your gas or electricity bills, your energy supplier might want to install a prepayment meter. Your landlord can’t stop this, and you don’t need their permission.

Returning the original meters at the end of your tenancy

If you install or remove prepayment meters, you might have to put the original meters back at the end of your tenancy. This is because the change will count as an alteration to the property. You'll have to pay any fee your energy supplier charges for changing the meters back.

Most people's suppliers don’t charge a fee for installing or removing meters. If yours does, think about switching supplier. Or tell your current supplier you’ll switch to another one - they might remove the fee if you stay with them.

fru-gal   
1 hour ago, macca13 said:

so I bought a smart thermostat so the heating/hot water only works when i want it 2. Has saved me money, fitted it myself. The thermostat that was connected was toast and the timer made the heating and hot water come on at the same time, now I can control them seperatly. Changed every bulb to energy saving, kept the old bulbs/stat to put back when I leave. 

Deposit protected

FYI;

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/switch-prepaid-gas-electricity

You should check your tenancy agreement to see what it says about switching utility suppliers. But even if your contract bans it, Ofgem's guidance states that if you pay the energy bill, you're still entitled to change supplier (check your tenancy agreement too – though if it says you can't switch, challenge it).

You don't need to get permission from your landlord to do this, but it's a good idea to let them know in writing so they're aware as it will impact future tenants.

Edited by fru-gal