Sign in to follow this  
SarahBell

Really? What madness.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

It's a pellet gun that is powered by a spring as far as i understand it. (At least mine upstairs is :) )

 

 

Careful about posting on forums about you firearms.  :lol::ph34r:

ta though. So is it an air rifle or summat else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, One-percent said:

Careful about posting on forums about you firearms.  :lol::ph34r:

ta though. So is it an air rifle or summat else?

I've edited my first post. According to Wikipedia i know sweet FA about BB guns :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrPin   
4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Your colleague sounds like a bellend. I remember doing this with my friends only about 10 years ago. I'm sure people still do it in more rural parts.

He's a total bellend!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I've edited my first post. According to Wikipedia i know sweet FA about BB guns :)

 

I've gone to wiki but am no wiser. It's like an air gun but not. :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Your colleague sounds like a bellend. I remember doing this with my friends only about 10 years ago. I'm sure people still do it in more rural parts.

In his defense he was, in many respects, a great guy. But he was a total townie. Which, unwittingly, you more or less predicted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sexton   

We used to play jungle warfare with air pistols, it was amazing how close you can get without your target knowing.The rule was to only shoot below the waist.The bruises were quite small.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sexton said:

We used to play jungle warfare with air pistols, it was amazing how close you can get without your target knowing.The rule was to only shoot below the waist.The bruises were quite small.

Depends.

.22 bruises tended to be worse than .177

"Be careful," me mam would say, "You'll have someone's eye out with that."

No mam. It's an air-rifle - and they don't call me Harold....

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

Edited by The XYY Man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MrPin said:

I'm a bit of a heath and safety strict bloke. You have to have rules, but I see the silly side of it! I don't need a hi-viz vest to collect something from the stores, but somebody sillier than me says I do!

There's somebody sillier than you?  I don't believe it. :wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The XYY Man said:

Depends.

.22 bruises tended to be worse than .177

"Be careful," me mam would say, "You'll have someone's eye out with that."

No mam. It's an air-rifle - and they don't call me Harold....

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

When I was a kid we used to have BB gun wars in an abandoned warehouse. It was brilliant, we'd charge about the place pretending we were in Predator or something and shoot the bejesus out of each other.

My enjoyment came to an abrupt and painful end when- despite the 'no closer than 5 yard' rule - I snuck up on a mate and scared the shit out of him. He responded by shooting me square in the face from about 3 inches away. The total bellend.

We may have thought we were in Predator but I'm pretty sure Arnie never had to go to school for about two weeks while sporting a wound that looked like a colossal and messily exploded zit directly between his eyes. <_<

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

When I was a kid we used to have BB gun wars in an abandoned warehouse. It was brilliant, we'd charge about the place pretending we were in Predator or something and shoot the bejesus out of each other.

My enjoyment came to an abrupt and painful end when- despite the 'no closer than 5 yard' rule - I snuck up on a mate and scared the shit out of him. He responded by shooting me square in the face from about 3 inches away. The total bellend.

We may have thought we were in Predator but I'm pretty sure Arnie never had to go to school for about two weeks while sporting a wound that looked like a colossal and messily exploded zit directly between his eyes. <_<

As a teenager, we had air-rifle wars on the same beach where the final scenes of "Get Carter" were shot.

Michael Caine never chose to join us though.

Shandy-drinking bastad...

 

XYY

                                                                                                               

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

As a teenager, we had air-rifle wars on the same beach where the final scenes of "Get Carter" were shot.

Michael Caine never chose to join us though.

Shandy-drinking bastad...

 

XYY

 

                                                                                                               

 

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

 

 

We used to have stone throwing fights down the estuary; we couldn't afford guns.  Priveleged monkey hangers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, One-percent said:

I've gone to wiki but am no wiser. It's like an air gun but not. :huh:

It is an air gun designed to fire round balls rather than waisted pellets. Usually cheaper, less powerful and less accurate than a pellet firing air gun. BB in the title refers to the origin of this type of ammunition in America and is the size designation of a type of lead shot used in shotgun shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
richc   
3 hours ago, One-percent said:

Ok, I know I could google this but can someone explain what a BB gun is?  Afaik, it's an American term. Cheers 

I could be wrong, but a BB gun shoots little metal balls, whereas a pellet gone shoots small metal cylinders.  A BB gun can be powered by compressed air, so I don't think it's a question of being powered by a spring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crow   
1 hour ago, Freeholder said:

It is an air gun designed to fire round balls rather than waisted pellets. Usually cheaper, less powerful and less accurate than a pellet firing air gun. BB in the title refers to the origin of this type of ammunition in America and is the size designation of a type of lead shot used in shotgun shells.

Nah, BB stands for ball bearing, which is the little metals slugs that they fire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, crow said:

Nah, BB stands for ball bearing, which is the little metals slugs that they fire. 

Often said but not true. Ball bearings are steel. BBs may be lead, steel, copper or any other material. Originally they were a way of using an existing load, BB size shotgun pellets, as cheap ammo for a cheap low powered gun.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

 

edit typos, just back from pub

 

Edited by Freeholder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
crow   
On 3/21/2017 at 0:07 AM, Freeholder said:

Often said but not true. Ball bearings are steel. BBs may be lead, steel, copper or any other material. Originally they were a way of using an existing load, BB size shotgun pellets, as cheap ammo for a cheap low powered gun.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_(pellet)

 

edit typos, just back from pub

 

Well I stand firmly corrected! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DEATH   

I remember something I had as a kid that fired pieces of potato or maybe this was just a weird dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DEATH said:

I remember something I had as a kid that fired pieces of potato or maybe this was just a weird dream.

Spud guns were real, I had one where you dug the nozzle into a potato and fitted a "cap" (chain of red plastic cylinders with a tiny amount of gunpowder in) under the hammer. I haven't seen anything that uses "caps" since the 70s. Selling gunpowder (to children) over the counter is probably illegal now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Riedquat   
42 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Spud guns were real, I had one where you dug the nozzle into a potato and fitted a "cap" (chain of red plastic cylinders with a tiny amount of gunpowder in) under the hammer. I haven't seen anything that uses "caps" since the 70s. Selling gunpowder (to children) over the counter is probably illegal now.

Had some in the 80s. The two I remember from then were rolls of caps for a cap gun (just made a bang, didn't shoot anything), and yellow plastic ones that went on the end of a plastic rocket or dart or something so it would bang when it hit something. Sure you could get the paper caps into the 90s too, wrapping a load of them around a 2p along with a lot of sellotape made a good bang when you threw it at a hard surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Had some in the 80s. The two I remember from then were rolls of caps for a cap gun (just made a bang, didn't shoot anything), and yellow plastic ones that went on the end of a plastic rocket or dart or something so it would bang when it hit something. Sure you could get the paper caps into the 90s too, wrapping a load of them around a 2p along with a lot of sellotape made a good bang when you threw it at a hard surface.

Yeah, the cap on my spud gun didn't power the shot, that was just air pressure like a water pistol, it just added an impressive sound effect.

I remember the darts with caps on the end too. I had totally forgotten about them until you mentioned them though.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Goat   
33 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Had some in the 80s. The two I remember from then were rolls of caps for a cap gun (just made a bang, didn't shoot anything), and yellow plastic ones that went on the end of a plastic rocket or dart or something so it would bang when it hit something. Sure you could get the paper caps into the 90s too, wrapping a load of them around a 2p along with a lot of sellotape made a good bang when you threw it at a hard surface.

What I remember is stuffing the entire roll of 100 paper caps into a pen lid then setting them all off at once, made quite a bang.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MrPin   

I used to hide potatoes behind clocks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sexton   

Caps and red match heads compressed in a nut between two bolts and then thrown at the tarmac. Started small but then it got up to 3/4 inch bolts and became a bit scary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John51   

One difference between a BB gun and a regular air rifle is that the BB ammo is spherical. Makes it easy/cheap to have semi automatic reloading. I had one that was styled like a Winchester. The trigger guard was also the spring cocking and reloading lever. With other air rifles, the pellet has to be loaded separately before each shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.