House Price Crash Forum

Mortgage slave malfunction

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

'But the historic Brexit vote in June last year also had an impact on the decision – saying once it kicks in foreign travel will become hard for Brits.'

Are they aware British citizens have visa free access to 175 nations as tourists and visitors - the places where you need visas are not places you would want to visit anyway like Afghanistan or Iraq or Syria or Sudan? Clearly they assume they are going to be banned from ever visiting Spain or Italy again after March 2019?

Good luck to them - but really!

Edited by MARTINX9

HOLA445
HOLA446

A clear case of fake news... the article implies that some members of 'greater' society, who are not yet retired, value their pathetic little lives and the time they have to spend with each other.

The boomers must be sh1tting their pants that some of their rental slaves will have heard about this and be plotting to 'head for the hills' before the, long awaited, branding and hobbling of non-homeowners is put into motion on 8th March.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I reckon they could come out ahead in the long run having done this, if they decide to settle down and rejoin the rat race in some capacity they'll probably end up inundated with interviews and job offers. Applying for jobs, hiring managers will probably want to interview them just to find out how they did it & will enjoy the process rather than listening to the usual "I turned up early, stayed in late & blew my boss every day so that one day I might be able to rent a slavebox off the bank" crap they have to sit through most of the time. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

The family waved goodbye to modern-day suburbia, long commutes and £900-a-month nursery fees and hit the road.

When they put it like that then last year's referendum vote has a lot to answer for.

One suspects that the story got published because of the Brexit line.  Good luck to them and them having a great time in their adventure - possibly they realised the Brexit tag would sell the story..

I guess lots of small stories could use it and maybe get a little extra income to fund things - I stopped eating bananas because of Brexit etc.

I had to lose weight/put on weight because of Brexit.  Britain canceled manned moon landing because of Brexit.  

Edited by billybong

HOLA4415
14 minutes ago, billybong said:

When they put it like that then last year's referendum vote has a lot to answer for.

One suspects that the story got published because of the Brexit line.

I guess lots of small stories could use it and maybe get a little extra income to fund things - I stopped eating bananas because of Brexit etc.

I had to lose weight/put on weight because of Brexit.  Britain canceled manned moon landing because of Brexit.  

I had to stop listening to James O'Brien because of Brexit. Does that count?

HOLA4416

Love the mental gymnastics some of you are having over this.

"Good on them for selling the slave box but wait...... they criticised Brexit, better go back to slating them."

To be honest travelling may very well be harder in Europe after Brexit; we just don't know that's kind of the point so good on them for doing this now. Also they can pick up a bit of work in Europe now to stretch out the trip if they like. Bang on about Visa free travel all you like but that won't be the same after Brexit.

Loved the picture of the little one crawling around a mountain in his Southampton hat. Makes me want to do this with my son. He may not remember much about it but the bonding between him and his parents will be priceless.

HOLA4417

Travel is awesome. The missus and I took a one year sabbatical (unpaid) from our I.t. jobs in our early 30's and went around the world a decade ago. £5 a day each was the budget. 15 countries, 3 continents. Thinking that if we could do it now with three young kids.... We would... Really opens the eyes and mind, and gives a point on perspective of this tiny isle. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
4 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

Did he have a shorter working day prior to the EU Referendum result ?

Apparently their long hours and high housing and childcare costs only started on 24 June.

They could probably  simply buy a remote house in rural southern Spain for the price of their campervan do it up and live there.

HOLA4424

Am I exceptional in that a "from leaving home to returning home from work" working day of +12h is normal? I.e. less than being 12-14 hours away daily as being abnormal? This has been my working pattern over the last 20 years in the south east (>1h+ from London mainline). 

Would of moved closer to work but 4+ bed house prices being £800-£1m (plus sdlt/costs) meaning unaffordabilty even for couple touching £100k gross. This state of affairs is, to me, becoming more unacceptable for me with young (3*<8 y.o. ) kids (and into my mid 40s) and a working partner but not abnormal or have I been conditioned? My peers seem to accept it. 

What's the consensus amongst hpc'ers? Only paid for 37.5h but, adding 15h commute and 10h 'dedication and catch up time', averaging 65+h p.w.. Sooo tired, all the time... 

HOLA4425
On 03/03/2017 at 10:44 AM, honkydonkey said:

Welcome to the club peeps! They now live off less money than their nursery cost per month. 

Why work? Seriously?

When we had 3 kids in nursery, my wife's entire £2,200 per month net was taken by childcare costs. What was the point indeed. She took redundancy after 18 years with a major blue chip company and a year later got more for less hours from a more innovative company.