House Price Crash Forum

UK given "final warning" by EU over air pollution limit breaches

Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA441

So this is the 1 meter Scientists predict by 2100.. imagine what that would do to house prices.. There are many areas that will not exist in the next few 100 years. you should see what 5 meters looks like, anyone want a posh house with access by boat.. So yes, we must stop our pollution, and we must reduce our population, the planet is dying..

1 meter.jpg

lon1meter.jpg

HOLA442
HOLA443
9 hours ago, Digsby said:

Rubbish. That's the only way without anyone changing their behaviour, yes (well apart from the behaviour of being alive), but we could massively reduce pollution with the current population if people were willing to live their lives differently. Unfortunately it would involve the plebs becoming more wealthy and self sufficient- we must have continuous consumption prevent that.

In London, there has been a massive increase in population.  All these people need to get around. The public transport system is not only one of the most expensive in the world, it is close to full capacity. Stations are temporarily shut as platforms become dangerous through overcrowding, people are left behind on platforms because the trains are full.  Sometimes they don't even both to stop at stations they are that full.  

So, it is difficult to see how people can change their behaviour, there is just not an alternative to driving for many.

now turning to cars.  There has been a vast increase in the number of cars with foreign plates.  Some of these look to be quite well kept, others are spewing out clouds of smoke.  I genuinely don't know the answer to this, but I wonder what checks are in place to ensure that these cars are properly maintained and do not overly pollute. 

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

This will all be solved when we leave the EU because we'll have no limits to breach. This annoying bit of red tape will simply be removed. 

One of my reasons for leaving London nearly a decade ago was the pollution. My sinuses were always blocked. I lost my sense of smell for several years (replaced by the smell of something burning) and my eyes were always swollen and streaming during the summer.  Allergy tablets did nothing except make me sleepy.  Eventually, I was allergy tested by the NHS after I left London - turned out I had acquired a dust allergy. 

Disappeared completely now I live in North Wales. 

HOLA448
4 hours ago, StainlessSteelCat said:

This will all be solved when we leave the EU because we'll have no limits to breach. This annoying bit of red tape will simply be removed. 

One of my reasons for leaving London nearly a decade ago was the pollution. My sinuses were always blocked. I lost my sense of smell for several years (replaced by the smell of something burning) and my eyes were always swollen and streaming during the summer.  Allergy tablets did nothing except make me sleepy.  Eventually, I was allergy tested by the NHS after I left London - turned out I had acquired a dust allergy. 

Disappeared completely now I live in North Wales. 

Its good to know that its possible to live a normal, non-bunged up life.. I just need to get out of London.

HOLA449

Yes, outside London - even in the South East - the air is much better. Basically fine provided you don't live next to a major road.

London is just absurd really. It should never have been allowed to get this bad and it should certainly never have been allowed to carry on for this long.

• 4 years later...
HOLA4410

Fireplaces and stoves are bigger polluters than traffic

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/07/fireplaces-and-stoves-are-bigger-polluters-than-traffic

Pollution and house prices in the UK

https://nethouseprices.com/news/show/2272/pollution-and-house-prices-in-the-uk

As such, it seems highly probable that the experts are right: not only will people increasingly look to environmental markers when buying new homes, but it's conceivable that new property listings will be required by law to include information on air pollution.