House Price Crash Forum

Are the EU immigrants going home ?

TheCountOfNowhere

Are the EU immigrants going home ?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are the EU immigrants going home ?

• Yes
    • No

HOLA441

Very few of the EE I see around here are the "Applying" to work here type. 

One way flight on Ryanair - kip on pals couch - try and get any work they can.

I have no idea of the numbers but I'm pretty certain these EE absolutely dwarf the "Applying" to come here EE.

Either way it's a good thing if the numbers are dropping. More chance of UK citizens to get these roles instead.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
2 hours ago, fru-gal said:

They won't deport them but they could make life very hard for people, forcing them to apply for visa's every few years or to get permanent residency etc when many people have been living here years with families, homes, jobs etc. I wouldn't put anything past the current Government because they want to appear hard and make things as difficult as possible whilst saying they are not going to "kick anyone out". And they will probably reduce EU migrant numbers but allow lots more unskilled workers from other parts of the world so immigration won't necessarily reduce.

Won't work. The UK people have had enough. If they do this the likes of ukip will just have another policy to gain much ground on. Mass immigration from outside of the EU. 

The UK has had enough of mass immigration. Many immigrants themselves feel the same ffs !!

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Definitely have the feeling a lot of Britons who are here are getting out while the getting is good, wise move me thinks

FTFY.

Exile of Polish more to do with their economy growing and ours... not so much.

There's also plenty of Brits who don't want to work in our service sector, selling insurance and laundering money.... our manufacturing sector trend has been -4.5% YoY for decades. With no tenure, no security, growing cost of living/housing/education and social welfare/health care and pensions on the wane we're leaving too... and that will accelerate.

Next we'll have to start blaming Westminster for problems? (kind of like starting a murder/mystery novel from the back page)

Edited by cashinmattress

HOLA445
2 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

It's not often i'm vaguely right

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-immigration-idUKKBN162108

Definitely have the feeling a lot of immigrants who are here are getting out while the getting is good, wise move me thinks

My wife's NHS trust has had a significant increase in the number of EU staff leaving. giving exactly that reason at exit interviews. They felt uncertain over their long term prospects and thought it better to return home and secure a job rather than stay with the risk of having to leave at a time not of their choosing.         

HOLA446

NET immigration is down. Overall migration to the UK was still almost 600,000 officially for the year. 

And record numbers of Romanian and Bulgarian arrivals.

Oh and double the number of EU citizens applying for residency than any year before....

This is about the complete opposite of a "Rush for the exit" as it's possible to get.

Look at the details - not the headlines.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
1 minute ago, Confusion of VIs said:

The report was factually correct, what did you expect them to say.

The way facts are presented says a lot. A large headline "Lowest levels of immigration!" later followed by for two years for example reports the facts but would be a clear attempt at drawing attention to one part with an undue emphasis.

HOLA4410
57 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

The way facts are presented says a lot. A large headline "Lowest levels of immigration!" later followed by for two years for example reports the facts but would be a clear attempt at drawing attention to one part with an undue emphasis.

To be fair they did explain that and had an ONS guy on to say it was statistically insignificant.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

ITN were surprisingly honest about it. They even showed lots of pics of EE shops and stated in no uncertain terms many of the UK populace have serious issues with the level of migration.

Not seen this subject covered in such a way for - well - ever. That I can remember anyway. 

It was all in all a fairly balanced report.

I was shocked !!

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA4413

I think the truth about the grimness of life in Britain is hitting home.  The grass is not so greener.

NHS staff demotivated, no real pay rises in years and no prospect in future.  Pensions and benefits under attack.  Then you have the devaluation in the pound.

May as well be poor in the sun as in the rain.  SImple as that I think.

HOLA4414
28 minutes ago, kzb said:

I think the truth about the grimness of life in Britain is hitting home.  The grass is not so greener.

NHS staff demotivated, no real pay rises in years and no prospect in future.  Pensions and benefits under attack.  Then you have the devaluation in the pound.

That doesn't quite work with folk from Poland !! Summers a bit nicer - but winter is worse.

I can definitely see a real draw back home for the numerous Spanish over here. If their economy and work outlet for the young were to improve. As to Polish though - I doubt the weather has very much impact at all.

HOLA4415
16 minutes ago, ccc said:

That doesn't quite work with folk from Poland !! Summers a bit nicer - but winter is worse.

I can definitely see a real draw back home for the numerous Spanish over here. If their economy and work outlet for the young were to improve. As to Polish though - I doubt the weather has very much impact at all.

I get told that cold and dry is better than mild and wet, and I think most British would agree with that as well.  Also the food is better in Poland.

Seriously, no TV programme has looked into economic factors.  The cut in tax credits.  No pay rises since 2003. 

But surely they need  a job back home before they leave UK employment?  How does that work?

HOLA4416

Who knows what reasons could tempt folk to head back home. I can't see any sign of it around me that's for sure. AS you say though the only MMS discussion on this matter revolves around people not feeling welcome or wanted. Bit lame really,

As for Polish food being better than British food :o

All depends what you eat and where of course. But in terms of produce and top class food the UK is right up there these days. Changed times. (Not to say there isn't a lot of dire dross food still in the UK !)

HOLA4417

Yes I would agree dry and cold can be better than wet and cold. I was about the type in that its Baltic in Jockland today - but that sort of defeats the argument seeing as Poland is on the Baltic !!

Anyway I was just saying the weather is definitely a huge draw when it comes to many people moving countries. There's a huge difference between Spain and the UK but not much between Poland and the UK.

HOLA4418
9 minutes ago, ccc said:

Yes I would agree dry and cold can be better than wet and cold. I was about the type in that its Baltic in Jockland today - but that sort of defeats the argument seeing as Poland is on the Baltic !!

Anyway I was just saying the weather is definitely a huge draw when it comes to many people moving countries. There's a huge difference between Spain and the UK but not much between Poland and the UK.

I have numerous Polish friends and they would disagree on the weather. I might get cold in winter, but they describe Poland as having 'proper' weather'. In Britain we get 2 weeks of sun and the rest of the time its a sort of grey damp nothingness. They have a hot summer, a cold winter, snow and sun. 

They also complain about the food, which, while its a matter of taste they have a point about. Much of our vegetables and meats are devoid of flavour and mass produced 

HOLA4419
5 minutes ago, Pieman Pieface said:

I have numerous Polish friends and they would disagree on the weather. I might get cold in winter, but they describe Poland as having 'proper' weather'. In Britain we get 2 weeks of sun and the rest of the time its a sort of grey damp nothingness. They have a hot summer, a cold winter, snow and sun.

So brown and dead in winter (when not covered in snow), parched and brown in summer, with maybe two weeks of everything looking nice and green?

A little less damp in Britain would be nice but overall I'll take it over most of the rest of the world.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4420
13 minutes ago, Pieman Pieface said:

They also complain about the food, which, while its a matter of taste they have a point about. Much of our vegetables and meats are devoid of flavour and mass produced 

Weather is all a matter of opinion of course. As for the food - I would have to completely disagree. If we are talking what you buy in Tesco perhaps. I'm sure Poland is similar. Polish complaining about mass produced food :lol:

Have you ventured to the Polish aisles now set up in pretty much every UK supermarket these days ? I assume what is in these aisles is based on demand and not just a guess and its 99% processed junk.

HOLA4421
4 hours ago, ccc said:

Weather is all a matter of opinion of course. As for the food - I would have to completely disagree. If we are talking what you buy in Tesco perhaps. I'm sure Poland is similar. Polish complaining about mass produced food :lol:

Have you ventured to the Polish aisles now set up in pretty much every UK supermarket these days ? I assume what is in these aisles is based on demand and not just a guess and its 99% processed junk.

Agree, but ask a polish person and they will tell you that the food you find in the Polish aisle is nothing more than the crappy mass produced stuff they avoid in their own country. I've tasted many of their dishes and they are very nice. They do have better access to fresh food from what I can tell, we put up with a lot of crap here simply without knowing about it. 

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I was in a class in an FE college in London today.  Now this is anecdotal and not generalisable. However, the students were chatting on got onto the topic of equality and inclusion. They started talking about where they were from in general terms, i.e. They were not indigenous. They pointed at one girl and said 'she is the only one who was born here'

I will leave you to draw your own conclusions 

HOLA4424
8 hours ago, kzb said:

No, or at least not exactly No.

Portugal, Spain and Italy produce huge numbers of excess Nurses and medical staff.

There is limited opportunity for jobs in those places. Their skills will expire before they find their first job.

There was an article somewhere about interviewees for a Milan cop job. There was something like 10,000 applicants for 10 jobs.

Thats what the Med states are like. Sh1t.

I know a few iItlain and Portugese Nurses. They are not going anywhere. Their plan is work 5-10 years in the UK, get their  English language up and return home with a *lot* more experience.

The NHS pay much more than the European countries too.

HOLA4425
1 minute ago, spyguy said:

No, or at least not exactly No.

Portugal, Spain and Italy produce huge numbers of excess Nurses and medical staff.

There is limited opportunity for jobs in those places. Their skills will expire before they find their first job.

There was an article somewhere about interviewees for a Milan cop job. There was something like 10,000 applicants for 10 jobs.

Thats what the Med states are like. Sh1t.

I know a few iItlain and Portugese Nurses. They are not going anywhere. Their plan is work 5-10 years in the UK, get their  English language up and return home with a *lot* more experience.

The NHS pay much more than the European countries too.

One thing that strikes (yeah I know that there is a massive hole in my argument but bare with) is how do we know that the training in other countries provides the quality we require?  Government in this country is all over education like a rash yet seemingly seems to accept that those trained outwith our system are eminently qualified.