House Price Crash Forum

car tax up, including leasers?

SarahBell

HOLA441
HOLA442

I'm a bit peed off with the obsession with CO2. Mine emits quite a lot!

If you are mug enough to plonk £15 on a car with zero VED, just watch your depreciation. Mine has already done that for somebody else. When it breaks I will throw it away, and get something else.

HOLA443

Car tax really hammers home politicians willingness to create bewildering complexity. Reckon there will now be 5 'regimes' in place, albeit two only differ by the 'RX8' scrapping tax band split in March 2006.

Suspect that the £140 rate will be jacked up before long.

Can anyone work out how many different tax possibilities there are for light passenger vehicles?

Regime 1: Pre '74 or whatever it is now, free.

Regime 2: 74-01; two bands on engine capacity only

Regime 3: 01 to Mar '06: 11 Bands based on CO2

March 06 - Apr '17: 13 bands based on CO2 (11 same as before, plus 2 extra)

Apr '17 onwards: 13 different bands based on CO2

29 different possibilities? And that ignores the first year rates, and other modifications like the £40,000 supplement irrespective of CO2, so it's more like 50 or so. Crackers.

HOLA444

Was going to change mine after ten years and 130000 miles, but as it is a Euro IV I'm not bothering now and am going to run it to destruction as I think Euro V and Euro VI will be an expensive headache. The new extra screw applied by the revenuers has made my mind up so thats no extra VAT, registration tax or increased VED from me. If I am forced into getting a new one it will be a small petrol to tide me over until sanity returns.

As an aside, a big switch to electric could seriously screw the governments energy policy up in the short to medium term.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
1 minute ago, ChewingGrass said:

Keeps crossing my mind as it would fit in the van, could use red diesel and charge it when it is stationary.

Exactly, and it is "tax efficient"! Although the real way to avoid VED is to buy a car over 40 years old!.

I'm thinking 1967 Eldorado!

HOLA449
5 minutes ago, DoINeedOne said:

Thanks for starting this thread just reminded me that my tax was due in january at some point and not received any reminders just checked and it ran out on the 1st january

Renewed now but still wondering why i got no reminders

Because they make more money out of the fine you are about to receive?

P.S. yes, you do need one.  Sorry, couldn't resist!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
22 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

tables in these sections https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/overview

Where did the £40K come from for new cars? Is this the politician saloon car?Agree on the leasing.  Wonder where the range rover sport evoque is on the first 12mths CO2. £1K in yr1?

I couldn't make head nor tail of it. Something simple has been turned into a bureaucrat's dream. How much is that again? Well only a footballer will be buying one of those then?

HOLA4414
On 1/18/2017 at 8:32 PM, MrPin said:

I couldn't make head nor tail of it. Something simple has been turned into a bureaucrat's dream. How much is that again? Well only a footballer will be buying one of those then?

I can see why the lower emission vehicles are getting more tax - clearly some rebalancing was required as newer cars produce less CO2.  

However, the £40k thing is very confusing.  Potentially, you could have a £39,999 list price car; add £100 option (to take if over 40k limit) and end up with £1550 + £100 of additional cost.

It will be interesting to see how the manufacturers will reprice.  Particularly those manufacturers who have historically set high list prices but gave heavy discounts.  

I expect to see:

- drop of list prices for cars just under £40k or even under £35k (where options list is very long)

- slight increase of prices for cars well under or over £40k .  

Archived