House Price Crash Forum

Buy to let is dead (Telegraph article), buy shops instead!

HOLA441

Ironically, a few years ago, it was a Telelegraph article , that told us Lloyds was technically bankrupt if it sold commerical property that had fallen 45% .

so they could not sell it to realise 'value' & parcelled it off into exotic fiancial packages / trusts etc ..however now...

From 6 months ago..

RBS and Lloyds most at risk from collapse of commercial property market Taxpayers could lose out as the part state-owned lenders are most exposed to falling property values

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/rbs-lloyds-most-at-risk-collapse-commercial-property-market-brexit-eu-referendum-a7124566.html

A while back 

Warning Over Commercial Property Crash

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/185205-warning-over-commercial-property-crash/

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
6 hours ago, Si1 said:

Why can't they just invest in normal investment grade vehicles and markets?

Why does it have to be batsh1t mental all the time?

Those who have no skill, no talent, are low intelligence, don't want to work will always be attracted to owning the means of production.

HOLA443
10 hours ago, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

What type of shops? All I see are empty units or massive shopping centres owned by corporate interests. Can't see there being any gold at the end of that rainbow, the future of shopping for many is online, the retail space required to cater for the luddites and those who want to shop as a hobby is well bellow our current capacity.

just what i thought ,,, like selling your tulip bulbs to buy railway/south sea stocks! :):):)

HOLA444
HOLA445

It's probably worth mentioning that I know of big residential landlords in the south who bought up loads of commercial property & sat on it waiting for permission  / market conditions to be able to turn it into housing. 

i theorise that perhaps this permission never materialised & due to having to pay biz rates on voids when empty, given struggling high st retail, they are trying to get joe public to bail them out by buying said commercial property.

Maybe they became forced sellers ? 

As is widely know, it's a big liablilty due to biz rates on voids

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
12 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I posted this article on twitter and I got this reply....

@HousePriceMania Remember when mass air travel was dead after 9/11? And high-rise buildings?

1 reply0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

I'm still laughing.

Weird, I don't remember anyone saying those things after 9/11.

HOLA449
On 17/01/2017 at 10:39 AM, Northern Welsh Midlander said:

What type of shops? All I see are empty units or massive shopping centres owned by corporate interests. Can't see there being any gold at the end of that rainbow, the future of shopping for many is online, the retail space required to cater for the luddites and those who want to shop as a hobby is well bellow our current capacity.

Read something today that said something about buildings out of favour with real businesses can be turned into gyms! 

HOLA4410

Aah the old budget gym approach. Take on a 'big box store' building on the edge of town which is no longer used because it's previous occupants have gone online, fill it full of cheap gym stuff and use the associated economies of scale to undercut your rivals. 

Decent enough plan if you've got the cash to get somewhere big enough to make it work. Otherwise, good luck. The traditional health club type places in the market town where I live are dropping like flies in the face of easy gym etc. Bannatyne and the local equivalent are hanging on thanks to the 'status' of paying 60 quid a month to be seen swimming a couple of lengths and drinking a smoothie in the right place (before you jump in the financed merc and head back to the new build box bought on help to buy; God I hate millennial snobbery, it's the blandest variant yet). 

I suspect a very small minority of btl people have deep enough pockets to compete with these chains. 

As for self drive being a threat to car parks, where are you supposed to keep these self drive cars? Genuine question. 

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

Aah the old budget gym approach. Take on a 'big box store' building on the edge of town which is no longer used because it's previous occupants have gone online, fill it full of cheap gym stuff and use the associated economies of scale to undercut your rivals. 

I suspect a very small minority of btl people have deep enough pockets to compete with these chains. 

The guy is a fan of 'rich dad poor dad'.

HOLA4412
19 hours ago, man o' the year said:

Mr Chilvers is a telegraph regular. Link

Some priceless comments among the 1,149 replies to that article, including from old favourites such as Miles Shitside, Property11Hate, and Busta himself.

Also it was a bit lazy of Richard Dyson to recycle some of the material from the article he wrote about Mr Chilvers when previously employed by the Daily Mail in 2011:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-2046925/Buy-let-nation-renters.html

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

As for self drive being a threat to car parks, where are you supposed to keep these self drive cars? Genuine question. 

In places where there's lots of room that don't need to be near important stuff like jobs houses and shops.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
21 minutes ago, John51 said:

Industrial units can do ok when converted to leisure activities. Nightclubs, go-kart tracks, Quasar, skateboard parks etc. The units usually come with a decent amount of parking space too.

Not even a hint of irony in the post.

I've seen no end of industrial units given over to storage/leisure.

WHERE HAVE THE F**KING PRODUCTIVE JOBS GONE

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
16 hours ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

They drive around picking up uber fares, while you are at work.

They drive to charging stations on their own to refuel.

They drive to cheaper out of town parking spaces (the ones that have cheapest charging and hourly storage, the places that were not economical before because no one wanted to walk from there to the shops/work/whatever).

Your GPS location app notices you have left work and your car is ready waiting for you outside the door when you leave work.

Another 1980s idea coming into being (Knight Right).

HOLA4420
On 17/01/2017 at 11:12 AM, Si1 said:

So has Graham Chivers for a moment considered that he might be caught by S24?

I was thinking the same.  Perhaps having been at it for 30 years he has very little borrowing but I doubt it.  I imagine he'll just sell a few when S24 bites and use the proceeds to pay off debt.

The attraction of commercial property is presumably the possibility of getting residential consent.  An old friend of mine used to buy failing corner shops and rework them into flats to sell.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
3 hours ago, Odin said:

They drive around picking up uber fares, while you are at work.

They drive to charging stations on their own to refuel.

They drive to cheaper out of town parking spaces (the ones that have cheapest charging and hourly storage, the places that were not economical before because no one wanted to walk from there to the shops/work/whatever).

Your GPS location app notices you have left work and your car is ready waiting for you outside the door when you leave work.

Another 1980s idea coming into being (Knight Right).

What you've just described is a taxi. Why would I go to the trouble of owning a car if I could effectively get the same service from a cab?

What if my wife's about to give birth and I need the car nearby at all times? Or what if I just don't know when I'll be done shopping and don't fancy waiting an hour whilst my self drive car wades through the traffic generated by all the other self drive cars bowling around all day? What if the cheaper parking is actually more or less outside my front door and the additional fuel costs of the car effectively doing double the number of journeys makes any saving redundant? What if I just don't like the idea of some grotty stranger riding around in the car I use to get my kid's to school?

Owning a car is all about the freedom to have your own transport available on demand. Whilst I can well believe that people will eventually believe that people will be won over by the idea of self drive, the concept that at least some people won't still want their car available on tap is a stretch in my opinion. 

Also, taken from another angle, set up a cheap out of town self drive car park. Land's cheaper out of town so you can get more space to make it work. 

HOLA4423
9 minutes ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

What if my wife's about to give birth and I need the car nearby at all times?

Ahhhhh, I remember those good olds days in 12th century  Germany when the pregnant german women were all rushed off to the midwives in a VW camper donkey.  What happened to those people that can't get their donkey to start when they need it, or someone has pinched their donkey, or their donkey has been clamped ?

You don't seem to understand how child birth works do you ?

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
17 minutes ago, Simon Taylor said:

I wonder if there is any correlation between the rise of self-storage chains and the ever diminishing size of the nation's new build housing?

How a Genius Lived in a Storage Locker for $200 a Month

http://www.gizmodo.com/how-a-genius-lives-in-a-storage-locker-for-200-a-month-1791172402

https://t.co/gZlbuJEWhi