House Price Crash Forum

Things I wish I knew before buying a new washing machine.

Bossybabe

HOLA441

Have just had my new (LG) washer dryer delivered. As there's been no working washing machine here for a week I'm eager to get it working. So, uncharacteristically, I read the instructions before I put a load in. 

I'm disappointed to find that I can't use it to wash my vegetables. :o Should I return it and choose one that does wash my lettuce and cabbage?

IMG_3239.JPG

HOLA442
HOLA443
11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I take it somebody has done so and tried to claim!

It hadn't crossed my mind but if you, say, had a load of lettuce (like about thirty) to wash and dry you could stick them in on a quick cold wash and spin.

I was thinking of a boil wash and spin, throw a sack of spuds in and mashed potato out. Just add a knob of butter to the detergent drawer.

HOLA444
1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

I was thinking of a boil wash and spin, throw a sack of spuds in and mashed potato out. Just add a knob of butter to the detergent drawer.

I see an idea for a cook book! 

I've heard of people coooking fish wrapped in foil in the dishwasher or cooking something on their car engine but using washing machines is news to me.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
1 hour ago, Bossybabe said:

Have just had my new (LG) washer dryer delivered. As there's been no working washing machine here for a week I'm eager to get it working. So, uncharacteristically, I read the instructions before I put a load in. 

I'm disappointed to find that I can't use it to wash my vegetables. :o Should I return it and choose one that does wash my lettuce and cabbage?

IMG_3239.JPG

It it an LG direct drive ? - they're excellent

HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Bossybabe said:

IMG_3239.JPG

Duh, can't you read?

The clause is actually directing users to adopt trade union best practice. It forms part of a reciprocal agreement between Red Len and Ronnie Draper of BFAWU.

You'll find similar statements on buses and trains urging the public not to use those involved in food preparation for the purposes of driving vehicular transportation.

That said, quite what it's doing on a washing machine is rather a mystery.

HOLA4411

My washing machine stopped turning the other day. I fixed it with the help of YouTube and some brushes for £7. I got many man points for this, and it feels awesome :P

Hopefully we will get another 8 years out of it now.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Ah yes, the Fawlty technique, tho can't say I've ever paid for the things.

Yeah they were privet bushes. A bit of a pain to fit but I got there in the end ;)

HOLA4414
11 minutes ago, Reebo said:

Yeah they were privet bushes. A bit of a pain to fit but I got there in the end ;)

Joking aside, I know your pain. A bearing replacement on my dear old Mum's top loader broke a bush in the main gearbox - oil would have continued to drain until the whole thing seized, so there was nothing for it. Bush was about a quid (id'd generic type rather than rip-off manufacs spares). Then spent half a day rebuilding it from ground up. But she got her ol' faithful back ... and to think the other day, after having watched "How to build a human" she declared she could never get emotionally attached to a machine.:P

HOLA4415

Apparently it is common for Chinese folks to wash spuds in their washing machine so the manual is a direct translation from the maker's manual. Re-enforced bearings are fitted for that market. (this may be a story like council tenants keeping coal in the bath, a story current in the 1960s).

Also you are not supposed to mend them or all that cheap labour will starve! Mr Ford wanted to weld the bonnets of his cars shut to keep people out. Nowadays they just put a fsck-up chip in the appliance so that if you use DIY or fit non original parts the device deliberately goes wrong. Case in point - a HP2600n laser printer starts to print the colours all out of alignment. If you dismantle it you can see that there is no way on earth that it can physically go out of alignment. It detects a refilled cartridge and rewrites its firmware so that it will never work right again. Your only option is to buy another printer -not a HP.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, LiveinHope said:

It it an LG direct drive ? - they're excellent

Yes. I was impressed by them when I bought my old machine in 2007 but couldn't afford one. I like bed the common sense of the direct drive, which is guaranteed for ten years.

This time the old one needed a new PCB, which I know nothing about. Cheaper to have a new machine than pay out £200 to fix a nine year old machine that will pack up soon anyway. Used Christmas money to make up the difference and bought a washer dryer. 

HOLA4418
3 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Great idea!  I can't wait for Guy Fawkes!! Can finish them off in a hot dry to get that just-baked skin. 

HOLA4419
2 hours ago, SarahBell said:

Does it have a kitten adding door on it?
And when will the 'add a kitten' feature be withdrawn from sale?

(Assuming if kids are stupid enough to eat those huge multi-coloured washing tablets they're stupid enough to put a kitten in the wash)

And stupid enough to crawl in the kitten door!!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
46 minutes ago, Bossybabe said:

Yes. I was impressed by them when I bought my old machine in 2007 but couldn't afford one. I like bed the common sense of the direct drive, which is guaranteed for ten years.

This time the old one needed a new PCB, which I know nothing about. Cheaper to have a new machine than pay out £200 to fix a nine year old machine that will pack up soon anyway. Used Christmas money to make up the difference and bought a washer dryer. 

They are very well engineered and, importantly well put together and so are very easy to work upon. I've taken mine to bits twice and was very impressed with the build quality.

I found that mine can occasionally eat socks and the sock can get stuck between the inner and outer drum, which is a pain, hence the dismantling. I now put socks in a net bag.

But because they are well put together they are easy to take to bits this will help should you have to.

The drive might as well have a lifetime guarantee - nothing to go wrong with it. The weak spot will be the PCB and that is user serviceable, but because there is much less vibration as it's direct drive the PCB should last longer.

HOLA4422
4 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

IMG_3239.JPG

You can wash them but they have to be placed carefully and sealed in pillow case, washed on gentle wool wash, cold water fill and slow spin, no bio soap and no conditioner.....;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

If you don't tell people they will do it.

74c3bbe4e2a22095e87102453c6cbcf5.jpg

It's the same with Karvol capsules - I assume you can't get them now because people were swallowing them....or giving them to their kids/babies :o

You can still get them in the USA and India - maybe they are cleverer than us?

HOLA4425
4 minutes ago, 200p said:

If you don't tell people they will do it.

74c3bbe4e2a22095e87102453c6cbcf5.jpg

It's the same with Karvol capsules - I assume you can't get them now because people were swallowing them....or giving them to their kids/babies :o

You can still get them in the USA and India - maybe they are cleverer than us?

They used to come in a small cardboard round container with a lid. 

Archived