House Price Crash Forum

Moving to the middle of nowhere

DTMark

HOLA441

There was a recent documentary about Loch Lomond on TV. Even gets basking sharks and humpback whales occasionally. Resident harbour seals. Really stunning.

The trip wasn't really about "sight-seeing" and tourism, but we did stop off at Urquhart Castle briefly, at Loch Ness.

urq.jpg

Glasgow and Edinburgh were a long way south of where we were.

"You walk for hours to get to the top, and all there is, is another bloody ruin" (One of the characters in Agatha Christie - Poirot - TV series)

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
1 hour ago, DTMark said:

There was a recent documentary about Loch Lomond on TV. Even gets basking sharks and humpback whales occasionally. Resident harbour seals. Really stunning.

I love the ending of Free Willy but this sounds even more impressive. :D

HOLA443
HOLA444
7 hours ago, Scunnered said:

I've never been there, and I don't recall anyone else ever telling me that they've been there either.  Coincidentally, however, there's an article on the Scotsman website about the fact that the National Museum of Scotland is the most popular tourist attraction in Scotland which has a list of the top ten at the end:

Who on earth are all these people who go there?

I think it's a staple on the tour bus route (hence the naff shopping mall) . Also I think a large part of Glasgow decamps there during holidays/weekend.

According to Wiki, Blackpool receives around 10 million visitors a year, that's a number I'm slightly dubious about.

HOLA445
21 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

The last time I was at Loch Lomond I was stunned to find that on the shore of this beautiful stretch of water, some dildo had decided that what it needed was a shopping mall of infinite crapness, just to round it off. All he had to do was find some blind people to sign it off, which they did.

Hardly visible from the lake.This is taken from about 300m away.The tall building is the aquarium.

soppin.png

HOLA446
HOLA447
53 minutes ago, sexton said:

Hardly visible from the lake.This is taken from about 300m away.The tall building is the aquarium.

soppin.png

I think you've managed to get a picture of the Loch Lomond monster! 

HOLA448
HOLA449

From Wiki on Pebbledash:

Though it is an occasional home-design fad, its general unpopularity in the UK today is estimated to reduce the value of a property by up to 5%.[2]However roughcasting remains very popular in Scotland, with a high percentage of new houses still being built with roughcasting.[citation needed]

This exterior wall finish was made popular in England and Wales during the 1920s, when housing was in greater demand, and house builders were forced to cut costs wherever they could, and used pebbledash to cover poor quality brick work, which also added rudimentary weather protection

HOLA4410
22 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Does Pebbledash exteriors not somehow protect from rain better,e.g. stop water ingress from all the horizontal rain?

I always assumed that was why it was there. As it's always pig ugly. 

It's incredibly long lasting and doesn't go green as paint does; I know one house which has been pebble dashed for at least forty years and still looks fine.  This is traditional pebble dash - like small beach pebbles - which I'm not a huge fan of, nor do I like the older grey finish so beloved of council house builders.  The modern versions, however, come in pastel colours and having walked along a run of 80s bungalows the other week which were all pebble dashed about ten years ago (one had it done, the neighbours liked it, so they did too) I especially liked the pale pink.  I have about five years until the walls need doing and I may well go for pebbledash at that point. 

HOLA4411

Compiling the video now. We actually have about an hour of video footage and a stack of photos so I'm trying to compress this down to no more than 10 minutes.

In other news, I managed to get caught by a mobile greed camera on the A9. News of that particular misdemeanour arrived in the post today. 80mph in a 70. I'm sure that the tax demand will follow.

I know precisely where this was. Mobile greed camera van on the side of the dual-carriageway more or less invisible until it's too late. I was wondering where all the money was coming from for the infrastructure.

Moo!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Pebble dashing is hugely popular here on Anglesey as well, I don't really buy into the argument of it being for weatherproofing I think some people just (bizarrely) like it!

I don't think the weather here is any worse than rural Derbyshire where I lived previously, in fact it's probably more benign here, yet everything here is pebble dashed. I'm surprised they don't try and pebble dash their cars.

Last year the council built a 100m stretch of wall along a road on the outskirts of my village, they did a nice job of it, all natural stone and neat pointing.... then when it was finished they went and pebble dashed the whole thing!

HOLA4414
On 23/02/2017 at 9:27 AM, Snafu said:

Does Pebbledash exteriors not somehow protect from rain better,e.g. stop water ingress from all the horizontal rain?

I always assumed that was why it was there. As it's always pig ugly. 

Yes it does hence it's popularity where I come fro, Donegal. In white it looks fine but obviously it has to be repainted every few years. Sonowcem when I was a child, I would presume Sandtex these days.

HOLA4415
6 hours ago, nome said:

Last year the council built a 100m stretch of wall along a road on the outskirts of my village, they did a nice job of it, all natural stone and neat pointing.... then when it was finished they went and pebble dashed the whole thing!

Urgh, I thought it was an unpleasant legacy from the 50s - 70s rather than anything anyone in their right mind did now.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
On 25/02/2017 at 2:22 AM, DTMark said:

More positively:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-64271573.html

That's less than we pay now for a 2 bed cottage in Hampshire.

Council tax F my goodness, what was it's valuation in 1991....... A house in London valuation far higher than  that would be in the region of C or D band.......Still doubt the owners worry they will not be paying it.:o

HOLA4419

We had the idea of seeking out episodes of "Treasure Hunt" set in Scotland and one of them actually has (we're pretty sure) one of the houses available to rent in shot in the first scene :) overlooking a loch.

No fixed-line broadband available, we're going to actually have to visit these places with the 4G modem to see if such a place is realistic. Satellite broadband is a last-resort, but perhaps an inevitability.

In the meantime, some more full-length video (will get cropped for the "main highlights video") for those who like videos of driving.. the roads are fantastic.

Scenery - this comes just before the "Lost Our Way" video a couple of pages back - just stunning:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I watched the last one and very nice too.  Mountains with snow on them are an amazing site.

Although I was disappointed that, given Mark's desciption of his driving on past occasions, it wasn't more like a rally video with "sharp right turn approaching" accompanied by tyre squeal, mud thrown up, and the occasional spin.

HOLA4425
9 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I watched the last one and very nice too.  Mountains with snow on them are an amazing site.

Although I was disappointed that, given Mark's desciption of his driving on past occasions, it wasn't more like a rally video with "sharp right turn approaching" accompanied by tyre squeal, mud thrown up, and the occasional spin.

Souped up Vauxhall Corsa I think ?! 

Archived