DTMark

Moving to the middle of nowhere

Riedquat   
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Perth only an hour away and Edinburgh only two.

I like the "only", and I just wish more people did, unfortunately we live in a world where people would complain about things being too slow if the teleporter to Alpha Centauri took ten seconds instead of five.

8 hours ago, ccc said:

Aviemore itself is a bustling wee place with loads to do and just up the road.

Google says that it's 128.9 miles from Aviemore to Edinburgh, so you'd have to be making pretty rapid progress.

Mind you, it also says that it's 9,132 miles from Aviemore to Perth...

Edited by Scunnered

ccc   

Aye but the two places I mentioned are bit South of Aviemore. 

West Edinburgh to Newtonmore early doors in 1 hr 45 no bother. B)

DTMark   

Exhausted today so stayed around Elgin. I got chatting to the receptionist last night and got the lowdown on the local area. In the meantime someone with a small girl appears to have checked in.

It's like something from a horror film. Sounds of a child giggling followed by running footsteps in the corridor outside the room. I must acquire some string to set a tripwire.

DTMark   
12 hours ago, ccc said:

Looks the other direction from where you are but still an idea. Newtonmore and Kingussie are nice wee places just south of Aviemore. Stunning scenery.

Aviemore itself is a bustling wee place with loads to do and just up the road.

For a place that's in the "Middle of nowhere" in Scotland but also pretty close to all the things you may want occasionally - I can't think of many better.

Think we skirted near Aviemore yesterday - Drumnadrochit at the "end" of Loch Ness was very pretty.

Looking at the map - having taken a course along the edge of Loch Ness and then towards Aviemore we almost touched the west coast.

Riedquat   

As for the video, I bloody well love roads like that, give me two or three days travelling like that (with that much traffic) instead of a few hours on the motorrway, even if it's not a one off. Probably just as well you stopped at "turn left on to the A9" :) And you weren't driving like a dawdly tourist at least.

DTMark   

We also stopped by the Glen Moray distillery today and had the tour. This neatly ties back to my exploration of whisky. So now I know how it's made and some of the differences.

We got to sample the drinks. Maybe reassuringly the 12 year old didn't do much for me but the 16 year old single cask bourbon/Chardonnay finish one @ circa 59% was stunning.

Thats the tourist stuff all done now, house hunting ideas to be explored tomorrow. 

DTMark   
47 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

As for the video, I bloody well love roads like that, give me two or three days travelling like that (with that much traffic) instead of a few hours on the motorrway, even if it's not a one off. Probably just as well you stopped at "turn left on to the A9" :) And you weren't driving like a dawdly tourist at least.

The roads are fantastic. Once you get used to oncoming HGVs frequently putting two wheels across the central line and so timing to avoid meeting them on bends.

The Skoda Fabia we have has small wheels and tall sides so not conducive to being pushed round the bends. Though it did leave the following boy racer in the Corsa behind in the mountains. I guess that corners even worse.

With a decent car and so little traffic you could make remarkable progress.

DTMark   
48 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

Watch out for joggers.

I left on wednesday, but the weather was still amazing. February isnt normally like that.

Bright and sunny today, more like May than February.

3 hours ago, DTMark said:

Think we skirted near Aviemore yesterday - Drumnadrochit at the "end" of Loch Ness was very pretty.

Looking at the map - having taken a course along the edge of Loch Ness and then towards Aviemore we almost touched the west coast.

I think you may have your map upside down!

Drum is about 2/3 the way up the loch on the north side. Fort Augustus is at the south west end and Lochend is, well, you get the picture.

i assume you took the south road if you got close to Aviemore. High elevation up there and a bit banjo country, long winters but stunning.

Grantown-on-Spey might be another option 

MrPin   

The best thing about the "Middle of Nowhere" is you are right near the centre, with all its facilities.

Edited by MrPin

DTMark   
13 hours ago, nome said:

More pics and vids please!

We've taken lots of photos and videos, will edit and upload when we get back on Monday.

DTMark   

This "Premier Inn" is truly a revelation.

The windows only open  a few inches which has made me think again about my plan to jump out of them.

The attached "Brewers Fayre" (apostrophe strangely absent) is a breakthrough in fine dining.

Every dish is lovingly prepared by hand using fresh ingredients and cooked to perfection resulting in a real taste sensation.

11 hours ago, DTMark said:

This "Premier Inn" is truly a revelation.

The windows only open  a few inches which has made me think again about my plan to jump out of them.

The attached "Brewers Fayre" (apostrophe strangely absent) is a breakthrough in fine dining.

Every dish is lovingly prepared by hand using fresh ingredients and cooked to perfection resulting in a real taste sensation.

I've stayed in a couple of Premier Inns where they've done this to the windows; it seems to be a recent thing and I don't like it though do like Premier Inns.

Brewer's Fayre is ok at a push but if there's an alternative then I certainly take it!

Just now, Frank Hovis said:

I've stayed in a couple of Premier Inns where they've done this to the windows; it seems to be a recent thing and I don't like it though do like Premier Inns.

Brewer's Fayre is ok at a push but if there's an alternative then I certainly take it!

I've wondered about this, is to stop customers smoking or topping themselves?

Premier Inns are OK, though any local to an airport can be messy with outbound stags and hens. Luton Airport Premier Inn was subbing as the local nicks drunk tank last time I was there.

Following this thread with interest. I'll be in Scotland in a month which I'm looking forward to.

MrPin   

It's elf an safety! People who jump out don't pay the bill!:mellow:

winkie   

Would be interested what others think about growing numbers of people having a need or desire to escape the smoke, lots of people, noise, traffic, polution, down to phones and texts, the technical pressures and time pressures on life......To find silence, freedom at one witn nature, peace and meditation.......maybe not to live in isolation permanently but to find a retreat to escape to and possibly find oneself, alone or another.....

I think more people will be looking to new experiences similar to this. Do we always really think we know what is good for us.;)

Riedquat   
2 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've wondered about this, is to stop customers smoking or topping themselves?

Proibably to stop people falling out in this pathetic day and age where you're responsible if idiots do something stupid to themselves.