DTMark

Moving to the middle of nowhere

335 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, winkie said:

 

These are people staying in during the winter in the UK as it's too cold and boring to go outside. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The drive took about 13 hours including three stops. We both took turns.

This was the scene shortly after getting into Scotland. Like a massive Lake District. The landscapes were stunning. The sky seems huge.

20170215_125259386_iOS_zpshdzl4k0j.jpg

As we arrived at 2pm we were both fairly knackered so opted to get some provisions, check in, have dinner at the hotel, and collapse into bed.

Today we took the route to Lossiemouth, which is a lovely little seaside town, then across to Inverness, stopping there briefly, then along the road that runs alongside Loch Ness and stopped at Urquhart Castle.

Here's Loch Ness:

20170216_131846427_iOS_zpsfdfkcsyi.jpg

20170216_131830880_iOS_zps6jm0i03l.jpg

Some lovely places near here. Stunning views and not far from the city. Could even commute so as to have a workable internet connection; in the South East you get used to seeing at least 3G in most places. Up here, even GPRS is a novelty.

We took some videos driving around but one of them shows the speed and I don't want to incriminate myself ;)

We also got lost and ended up on a single lane backroad for miles. These places really are "in the middle of nowhere".

Perhaps the prettiest places, apart from the Loch Ness surrounds, were on the "Whisky trail" on the way up here; really lovely, a landscape encased by mountains, a sky that looks really low, and many "fields of nothing" (my expression for "perfection").

Tomorrow - heading out North East of Inverness.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've probably got a itinerary mapped out already, but there's some stunning Victorian properties in Strathpeffer if you have time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at it now, I suspect we'll be going there tomorrow.

Earlier today.. echoes of the film "Clockwise".

"Lost our way.."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks the other direction from where you are but still an idea. Newtonmore and Kingussie are nice wee places just south of Aviemore. Stunning scenery.

Aviemore itself is a bustling wee place with loads to do and just up the road.

Perth only an hour away and Edinburgh only two.

For a place that's in the "Middle of nowhere" in Scotland but also pretty close to all the things you may want occasionally - I can't think of many better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ccc said:

Perth only an hour away and Edinburgh only two.

I like the "only", and I just wish more people did, unfortunately we live in a world where people would complain about things being too slow if the teleporter to Alpha Centauri took ten seconds instead of five.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ccc said:

Aviemore itself is a bustling wee place with loads to do and just up the road.

Perth only an hour away and Edinburgh only two.

Google says that it's 128.9 miles from Aviemore to Edinburgh, so you'd have to be making pretty rapid progress.

 

Mind you, it also says that it's 9,132 miles from Aviemore to Perth...

 

Edited by Scunnered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aye but the two places I mentioned are bit South of Aviemore. 

West Edinburgh to Newtonmore early doors in 1 hr 45 no bother. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exhausted today so stayed around Elgin. I got chatting to the receptionist last night and got the lowdown on the local area. In the meantime someone with a small girl appears to have checked in.

It's like something from a horror film. Sounds of a child giggling followed by running footsteps in the corridor outside the room. I must acquire some string to set a tripwire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ccc said:

Looks the other direction from where you are but still an idea. Newtonmore and Kingussie are nice wee places just south of Aviemore. Stunning scenery.

Aviemore itself is a bustling wee place with loads to do and just up the road.

Perth only an hour away and Edinburgh only two.

For a place that's in the "Middle of nowhere" in Scotland but also pretty close to all the things you may want occasionally - I can't think of many better.

Think we skirted near Aviemore yesterday - Drumnadrochit at the "end" of Loch Ness was very pretty.

Looking at the map - having taken a course along the edge of Loch Ness and then towards Aviemore we almost touched the west coast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As for the video, I bloody well love roads like that, give me two or three days travelling like that (with that much traffic) instead of a few hours on the motorrway, even if it's not a one off. Probably just as well you stopped at "turn left on to the A9" :) And you weren't driving like a dawdly tourist at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We also stopped by the Glen Moray distillery today and had the tour. This neatly ties back to my exploration of whisky. So now I know how it's made and some of the differences.

We got to sample the drinks. Maybe reassuringly the 12 year old didn't do much for me but the 16 year old single cask bourbon/Chardonnay finish one @ circa 59% was stunning.

Thats the tourist stuff all done now, house hunting ideas to be explored tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch out for joggers.

 

I left on wednesday, but the weather was still amazing. February isnt normally like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

As for the video, I bloody well love roads like that, give me two or three days travelling like that (with that much traffic) instead of a few hours on the motorrway, even if it's not a one off. Probably just as well you stopped at "turn left on to the A9" :) And you weren't driving like a dawdly tourist at least.

The roads are fantastic. Once you get used to oncoming HGVs frequently putting two wheels across the central line and so timing to avoid meeting them on bends.

The Skoda Fabia we have has small wheels and tall sides so not conducive to being pushed round the bends. Though it did leave the following boy racer in the Corsa behind in the mountains. I guess that corners even worse.

With a decent car and so little traffic you could make remarkable progress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Steppenpig said:

Watch out for joggers.

 

I left on wednesday, but the weather was still amazing. February isnt normally like that.

Bright and sunny today, more like May than February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DTMark said:

Think we skirted near Aviemore yesterday - Drumnadrochit at the "end" of Loch Ness was very pretty.

Looking at the map - having taken a course along the edge of Loch Ness and then towards Aviemore we almost touched the west coast.

I think you may have your map upside down!

Drum is about 2/3 the way up the loch on the north side. Fort Augustus is at the south west end and Lochend is, well, you get the picture.

i assume you took the south road if you got close to Aviemore. High elevation up there and a bit banjo country, long winters but stunning.

Grantown-on-Spey might be another option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.