Sign in to follow this  
spyguy

Oh dear Labour

Some politicians are only cut out for jumping up and down in opposition and to most folks it blatantly obvious even before they get their hands on power.

Once they get into power it can very quickly become farcical. Ms Sturgeon has entered that territory, whilst Jezzer is still in the relative safety of opposition.

9 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

Some politicians are only cut out for jumping up and down in opposition and to most folks it blatantly obvious even before they get their hands on power.

Once they get into power it can very quickly become farcical. Ms Sturgeon has entered that territory, whilst Jezzer is still in the relative safety of opposition.

Brown was the best/worrst example of this.

When he became PM he'd fcked up the party, he spent all the money and more.

12 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

Corbyn's making enough of a hash of that that the relative safety of it isn't enough for him. Whether you agree with their policies or not a government needs a decent opposition, and Labour is failing to be that. He's probably the first leader who'll stand a chance of being remembered for being a drag on the country for not even being a vaguely decent opposition.

6 hours ago, spyguy said:

Murdoch press .....

Not sure on this.

Most Scots I know dont like Sturgeon.

They do like Davidson.

It's about 50:50 for the Scots I know. One of them thought Corbyn had got off lightly in the SKY poll.

Labour Policy Forum has suddenly become very active.  I realise that policy submissions are not the same as policies, but some of them are completely bonkers:

Balanced Admissions:  Universities must recruit at least half their new intake from students predicted to get less than CCC but who demonstrate good critical thinking and passion.

State control of the media:  News media should be subject to scrutiny by an independent panel of experts who can assess neutrality of news reporting.  News organisations found to have acted outside of acceptable ranges of tolerance should be sanctioned.

5% tax on all financial transactions.

And countless 'stop Brexit because I disagree with it' submissions.

On ‎24‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:13 AM, Will! said:

Labour Policy Forum has suddenly become very active.  I realise that policy submissions are not the same as policies, but some of them are completely bonkers:

Balanced Admissions:  Universities must recruit at least half their new intake from students predicted to get less than CCC but who demonstrate good critical thinking and passion.

State control of the media:  News media should be subject to scrutiny by an independent panel of experts who can assess neutrality of news reporting.  News organisations found to have acted outside of acceptable ranges of tolerance should be sanctioned.

5% tax on all financial transactions.

And countless 'stop Brexit because I disagree with it' submissions.

This is really interesting. I didn't know the labour party did that - do you have to be a party member to submit an idea or could it be anyone? The conservative party seems to require that you join a local group and go to meetings if you want to suggest policies. I bet that generates a much more boring set of suggestions.

The three submissions you link to are completely detached from reality. I particularly like the idea of, say, medicine degrees having to fill half their places with people who just managed a D in Biology. But it's a real mixed bag. 

2 hours ago, Still Dews said:

This is really interesting. I didn't know the labour party did that - do you have to be a party member to submit an idea or could it be anyone?

Anyone can submit an idea, there's no need to be a member of the Labour party.

https://www.policyforum.labour.org.uk/account/register-choose

Many of the more specific and constructive submissions seem to get a response, regardless of whether they're made by party members or not.

This is my new favourite submission:

Big landlords v little landlords:  A Labour party member arguing that BTL landlords are the "little guys" who deserve our sympathy.

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Will! said:

This is my new favourite submission:

Big landlords v little landlords:  A Labour party member arguing that BTL landlords are the "little guys" who deserve our sympathy.

Yes a surprising point of view for a labour supporter - or maybe not as many people must have formed their views in the period when labour were in government encouraging people to put money in property. He's probably representative of quite a lot of voters and it illustrates the problem.