House Price Crash Forum

Immigration Raid On Byron Hamburgers Rounds Up 35 Workers

copydude

HOLA441

Not sure what you're getting at, but there was someone on reddit the other day trying to drum up outrage, and it sonds like social media picked it up and now the mainstream press.

Its weird in that if I had to think of a nationality/language common in London, (American) Spanish would not be it.

All I can think is that this is a diaspora from Spain and friends of friends have recruited each other over the years.

One thing I have noticed and am awaiting the outcome on is the fate of the huge number of restaurants + eating places that have expanded/opened up over the last 5 years - Zivvi, pizzahut, wildwood, loads of thai places.

All are staffed by non-brits. esp. the sit down type, which appear to be run by young Polish mums - I know as I see them in the park with their kids.

Come the removal of TCs/in-work benefits for non-Brits there's not a chance in hell these people can afford to stay in the UK.

HOLA442

Its weird in that if I had to think of a nationality/language common in London, (American) Spanish would not be it.

All I can think is that this is a diaspora from Spain and friends of friends have recruited each other over the years.

One thing I have noticed and am awaiting the outcome on is the fate of the huge number of restaurants + eating places that have expanded/opened up over the last 5 years - Zivvi, pizzahut, wildwood, loads of thai places.

All are staffed by non-brits. esp. the sit down type, which appear to be run by young Polish mums - I know as I see them in the park with their kids.

Come the removal of TCs/in-work benefits for non-Brits there's not a chance in hell these people can afford to stay in the UK.

Are you serious there are loads of Latin Americans in London, there is at least one Spanish language newspaper

http://www.expressnews.uk.com/

HOLA443
HOLA444

Yep. I know a French couple who opened a Creperie and did it the traditional way of actually trying to run a viable business. They folded after a few months. Rents were crippling. Although to be fair they really should have done their homework and it would have been obvious that it was a stupid idea. Having to compete with lots of nearby fast food places run by tax credits meant they couldn't keep going.

HOLA445

Could it be after so many years of many breaking conditions of visas, forging documents, overstaying and slipping through the system, the authorities turning a blind eye to people who are living and working illegally they are now toughening up to show they are doing more to deal with this....who knows?

I think there's a lot in what Winkie says here.

I learned the other day that no one keeps good statistics about the number of illegal immigrants in the UK. The Government itself abandoned exit checks in 1998 - no reason given.

In 2009, the London School of Economics guesstimated the number at some 670,000. In 2010, Migration Watch put it at 1.1 million.

Why are the Government so shy about this? Well, around half the employment growth in the UK is down to immigration. I think it was George Osborne who boasted about 'Europe's Factory for Jobs'. So, illegals are good for something.

Something else that supports Winkie's perception is from the original report:

“It is ******ing disgusting. Some of these people worked here for four or five years and they weren’t even given a chance to say goodbye,” said the worker who spoke on condition of anonymity.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

They were deported

One of the kitchen staff said she arrived for the meeting at 9.30am, but within minutes four immigration officers burst into the building. ‘They said, ‘nobody move, we’re immigration, stay where you are’.

Another staff member told how one worker was taken away in handcuffs.

‘I worked hard, I paid taxes and Byron did this to us.’

He was sent to a series of detention centres before being deported. First, he was taken to Tinsley House near Gatwick airport, then to Verne immigration removal centre, a former prison in Dorset. He spent a week there, then was sent to Harmondsworth near Heathrow.

‘We had no chance to call friends, to collect our belongings. I had things like a laptop, my clothes, all the things you need for life in London.’

HOLA449

The Daily Mash does it best, of course:

Employer obeys employment law

BURGER restaurant Byron has been accused of acting in full accordance with UK immigration law.

The chain has angered customers by co-operating with immigration services, betraying employees who had lied about their identities, just to avoid potentially unlimited fines.

HOLA4410

If these lefties had any brains they'd be protesting outside the Home Office against our immoral and self-defeating immigration rules, not picking on a business that took the only sensible course of action when the jackbooted thugs from Immigration turned up and held a metaphorical gun to their heads.

I personally would never co-operate with immigration, or pay their £10,000 fine, because I've never voted for anyone who has gone on to form a government, and I've no problem with economic migration. If the government don't want illegals here they can chuck them out themselves, or, y'know, maybe not let them in to the country in the first place. Not my problem.

HOLA4411

If these lefties had any brains they'd be protesting outside the Home Office against our immoral and self-defeating immigration rules, not picking on a business that took the only sensible course of action when the jackbooted thugs from Immigration turned up and held a metaphorical gun to their heads.

I personally would never co-operate with immigration, or pay their £10,000 fine, because I've never voted for anyone who has gone on to form a government, and I've no problem with economic migration. If the government don't want illegals here they can chuck them out themselves, or, y'know, maybe not let them in to the country in the first place. Not my problem.

Illegals often don't enter the country illegally, they come here as tourists and stay illegally. Of course they - like anyone else -should not be rewarded for breaking the law.

After all as was said in the 12 century "With laws we build up the land, but with lawlessness we destroy it".

Allowing law breaking of any type, is the first step on a very slippery slope.

HOLA4412

Allowing law breaking of any type, is the first step on a very slippery slope.

Correct. But with the business of crime and punishment, proportionality is also a firmly established judicial principle in our society.

After turning a blind eye for years, officers do appear to have suddenly acted in a less than civilised fashion.

HOLA4413

Correct. But with the business of crime and punishment, proportionality is also a firmly established judicial principle in our society.

After turning a blind eye for years, officers do appear to have suddenly acted in a less than civilised fashion.

What else could the officers have done? The people were found to be here illegally and got deported. BTW I will going to eat there very soon.

HOLA4414

If they are illegal immigrants they should be deported immediately. I'm not sure why there is all this nonsense in the press about how it was 'unfair' or something.

They have no rights, in my view. First plane back to wherever they came from.

HOLA4415

If they are illegal immigrants they should be deported immediately. I'm not sure why there is all this nonsense in the press about how it was 'unfair' or something.

They have no rights, in my view. First plane back to wherever they came from.

I hope you will vote with your mouth and eat at Byron hamburgers soon. I will otherwise I am worried this will never happen again.

HOLA4416

I hope you will vote with your mouth and eat at Byron hamburgers soon. I will otherwise I am worried this will never happen again.

But the Byron's guys were let off. So why wouldn't it happen again? And don't tell me the management had no idea assorted Albanians and Nepalese were working as slaves for no reason. 70-80 hour weeks?

Deportation, I have no problem with that. But why the handcuffs and not being allowed even to pick up personal effects? They paid taxes here for 5 years.

Anyway, enjoy your **** (roach) Au Vin.

Edit to add . . . I should have written Coqroach.

Edited by copydude

HOLA4417

But the Byron's guys were let off. So why wouldn't it happen again? And don't tell me the management had no idea assorted Albanians and Nepalese were working as slaves for no reason. 70-80 hour weeks?

Deportation, I have no problem with that. But why the handcuffs and not being allowed even to pick up personal effects? They paid taxes here for 5 years.

Anyway, enjoy your **** (roach) Au Vin.

Edit to add . . . I should have written Coqroach.

How can you tell Albanian from a Pole or Slovak? I guess if they been allowed to pick up personal effects then they would have left. Or should the taxpayer have paid even more money to pick up their stuff for them?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

By their passport.

Maybe illegal workers use fake passports.

BTW the food was amazing, I wish I had gone to the Holborn branch but the one I went to was as busy as the neighbouring restaurants.

The only bad thing is that I don't think I can buy a burger from another shop ever again, it was that good.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421