House Price Crash Forum

Graduates Not Repaying Should Be Arrested.

HOLA441

Student loans were all about training people to be in debt and normalising it.

The loans are a tradable commodity on financial markets.

Both Labour and LibDems broke iron clad manifesto promises. As well as the bankers I think they should be arrested and charged with fraud also.

HOLA442
HOLA443

Student loans and fees are an utter disgrace. The system has been engineered to simultaneously devalue the worth of a degree whilst making it a must have for any sort of half-decent job. Basically, degrees have been turned into A-levels on steroids so while a degree no longer sets you up for a high value job/career, you now need to have one even for more basic stuff that you could once have done with A levels or even O levels plus a HNC.

You think that's bad, take a look at +24 advanced loans which are offered to most adults entering further education. An A level will set you back around a grand in total, about how much I paid per annum for university tuition. just over a decade ago.

They were also used to fund adult apprenticeships because the government can't get away with paying 18-21 minimum wage rates to them. Ironically accepting a pittance wage is better than taking a loan as things stand.

Edited by spacedin

HOLA444

This comment typifies the the mindset of 'progressives'. Having created an environment of higher education needed for everything, which the state couldn't and can't afford they get upset when they have to pay. Their suggestions are that everyone else should pay but them.

I see, so the expansion/dilution of higher education in the 90s and 2000s under Major and Blair was the fault of "progressive" people who are now in their late teens and early 20s so they have no right to complain how expensive it is to get a degree. Makes perfect sense as long as you ignore how time works.

P.S. It's not all Norse poetry and media studies, people doing science and engineering at good universities are also walking away with life-changing amounts of non-dischargeable debt. Still, it's all their own fault I expect, always is when the young are getting reamed by older generations who already have their housing and education in the bag.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA445

P.S. It's not all Norse poetry

If you visit Denmark, Sweden or Norway you can study Norse Poetry for nothing.

Sounds cool but what they show is how important it is to put education right at the core of your society. In my opinion free education is a civil rights issue and it reflects the kind of society you live in. I know you didn't say otherwise but it's not about wether a country can afford it it's about what kind of society we want to live in

Edited by spacedin