House Price Crash Forum

How Much Does A Smoker Devalue The Selling Price Of Their House Or Car ?

HOLA441

That very much sounds like something odd is going on then. One stove really shouldn't make noticable difference unless something is rather wrong with it or the person using it is burning unseasoned wood, which may be unpleasant and is asking for a chimney fire. Significant smoke is a sign of bad combustion. A slight hint of smell in the air is the most you should be getting, enough to agitate the throat means someone needs to sort their fire out, urgently.

The reason it's seen as green is purely on the old CO2 front rather than local air quality, although they shouldn't be affecting that either, either due to being in a low enough density area or in a smoke controlled zone where they can get in a lot of trouble if enough comes out of the top (not all wood burning stoves are approved to be used in smoke controlled zones, and even where they are they have to be used properly).

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA442

I must say I do find it incredible that wood burning stoves' smoke is seen as 'green' and acceptable by all, but car pollution, bonfires and ciggy smoke etc. is seen as a menace. In the winter months I can walk thru the residential area near where I live and find large areas (a few streets) are very unpleasant due to the smoke from, I guess just 1 stove. You walk to the next street and the air is clean and fresh, before entering another smoked out street. It is not just unpleasant but agitates the throat.

Sorry, RQ has spoken, it's all in your imagination, you're just fussy. Burning wood is fine.