Sancho Panza

University Bubble Making Hissing Sounds

3 hours ago, spyguy said:

People - rightly- pick on he VC for their large salaries.

But what about all the extra workign in the HE sector?

Students are 3-4 the numger 30 odd years ago.

But the number of lecturers admin staff (unis dont do low numbers of admins)

Again, like Browns other ventures, the HE is keeping 100,000s i pointless work, dumping the cost on kids future earnings.

You want to see the cranes in Leicester and Coventry, building student flats.................taht's the only growth in these cities,fooling lots kids into overpaying for cruddy degrees.

On 05/07/2016 at 5:52 PM, Sandwiches33 said:

spend 30k on a degree in poetry to make coffee for boomers.

Excellent idea. 

I'll pay extra/the asking price if offered a ditty each time I got my coffee.

You know, something like:

Roses are Red

Violets are blue

Here's your coffee

Now feck off you!

Edited by Fence

3 hours ago, Save me from the madness! said:

The reality is that many people are being asked to get degrees to do jobs that don't require a degree.

The kids are waking up and about time to.I did a History degree 20 odd years ago and it was an utter weaste of time and taxpayers money.

The universities are money making machines these days and the sooner people realise it the better.

'But universities face their own problems.

This year's Ucas application figures have been much worse than superficially they might have appeared.

Among applicants in England, the numbers are the lowest since at least 2009 - even below the slump that happened when fees trebled in 2012.

There is also an emerging pattern of high status universities getting bigger and attracting more applicants, while others, often doing the hardest work in widening access, are seeing a collapse in student numbers and funding. '

Edited by Sancho Panza

34 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

The reality is that many people are being asked to get degrees to do jobs that don't require a degree.

The kids are waking up and about time to.I did a History degree 20 odd years ago and it was an utter weaste of time and taxpayers money.

The universities are money making machines these days and the sooner people realise it the better.

This year's Ucas application figures have been much worse than superficially they might have appeared.

Among applicants in England, the numbers are the lowest since at least 2009 - even below the slump that happened when fees trebled in 2012.

There is also an emerging pattern of high status universities getting bigger and attracting more applicants, while others, often doing the hardest work in widening access, are seeing a collapse in student numbers and funding. '

Are you sure that less people are studying your course than 20 years ago?  I hope it is true, fear it is not.

17 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

If all the extra money that has gone into Peak Education had instead been spent on social housing and solutions to the private housing stock to make homes cheaper we would not now need a HPC forum. Kids are going through university at a cost of about £60,000 (most will never be recovered) , you could just build a bloody house for that up north and hand it to a young person for free. With such interventions house prices would be easily back to 1996 levels. Guess left wing intellectuals had other ideas post 1997, enriching themselves in both jobs and housing wealth in places like Cambridge.

56 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Guess left wing intellectuals had other ideas

University is also a great place to brainwash the youth, a favourite tactic of leftists.

58 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

If all the extra money that has gone into Peak Education had instead been spent on social housing and solutions to the private housing stock to make homes cheaper we would not now need a HPC forum.

Nope. House prices are being driven by easy access to credit. Lack of housing is not a major factor at this point.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

University is also a great place to brainwash the youth, a favourite tactic of leftists.

What is this brainwashing conspiracy?

1 hour ago, btl_hater said:

What is this brainwashing conspiracy?

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-gross-academia-conservatives-hiring-20160520-snap-story.html

At the time of our study, a fifth of all American adults described themselves as liberal. Simmons and I found that about half of the faculty did. Even among professors who chose the label moderate, liberal political opinions were quite common, especially on social issues such as gender equality and gay rights. Only 14% of professors in our survey identified as Republican.

3 hours ago, Locke said:

Charging them 50k for a pretty useless degree, then throwing into a hard job market is hardly going to make Student Joe a liberal, is it?

There's a massive kick back against non vvocational degrees.

22 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Charging them 50k for a pretty useless degree, then throwing into a hard job market is hardly going to make Student Joe a liberal, is it?

I disagree, making people poor is more likely to make them left wing.  Neil Kinnock said IIRC "I cannot say to a man with own home, 2 cars and regular holidays in Spain, brother vote for me and I will deliver you from this misery.

39 minutes ago, spyguy said:

"And you know why your first class degree isn't getting you a job, Sarah? It's because old boy's club capitalists are discriminating against women's studies graduates."

3 hours ago, Locke said:

I don't remember being brainwashed at university, mostly it was listening to people explaining chemical reactions and cell biology then going to a lab to pipette some cells around. Possible they used some kind of Men in Black memory wipe device after the leftie brainwashing sessions.

1 hour ago, Locke said:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-gross-academia-conservatives-hiring-20160520-snap-story.html

At the time of our study, a fifth of all American adults described themselves as liberal. Simmons and I found that about half of the faculty did. Even among professors who chose the label moderate, liberal political opinions were quite common, especially on social issues such as gender equality and gay rights. Only 14% of professors in our survey identified as Republican.

Er, so what? I have no idea which party my boss votes for, we only talk about work. Same between lecturers and students in a university. It's fun that you think lecturers have time to sit around with their students talking about how brilliant leftie politics is.

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

Er, so what? I have no idea which party my boss votes for, we only talk about work. Same between lecturers and students in a university. It's fun that you think lecturers have time to sit around with their students talking about how brilliant leftie politics is.

I was told by friends who did economics that their essay had to agree with the political view of their lecturer to get a good mark.  It was true for both left wing and right wing lecturers.

On 14/02/2018 at 9:44 AM, crashmonitor said:

If all the extra money that has gone into Peak Education had instead been spent on social housing and solutions to the private housing stock to make homes cheaper we would not now need a HPC forum. Kids are going through university at a cost of about £60,000 (most will never be recovered) , you could just build a bloody house for that up north and hand it to a young person for free. With such interventions house prices would be easily back to 1996 levels. Guess left wing intellectuals had other ideas post 1997, enriching themselves in both jobs and housing wealth in places like Cambridge.

+1

21 hours ago, Dorkins said:

I don't remember being brainwashed at university, mostly it was listening to people explaining chemical reactions and cell biology then going to a lab to pipette some cells around. Possible they used some kind of Men in Black memory wipe device after the leftie brainwashing sessions.

Me too - mostly recall learning about things like relativity, electromagnetism and quantum mechanics!

In this day and age there is no excuse to be ignorant and uneducated.....the internet means people who want to can educate themselves for very little money, everything at your fingertips....why pay big sums when don't have to.....many employers recognise self motivated, eager to learn..... no high cost certificate required......AI working at its best.;)

1 hour ago, winkie said:

In this day and age there is no excuse to be ignorant and uneducated.....the internet means people who want to can educate themselves for very little money, everything at your fingertips....why pay big sums when don't have to.....many employers recognise self motivated, eager to learn..... no high cost certificate required......AI working at its best.;)

Exactly, but none of the hospitals I've contacted will let me loose on patients despite me having watched loads of medical stuff on Youtube.

7 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Exactly, but none of the hospitals I've contacted will let me loose on patients despite me having watched loads of medical stuff on Youtube.

Sure certain jobs require certain certs.....but the best way of learning is doing your own research together with on the job training from the people who actually do it every day and know.;)

Counterpoint. Universities aren't yet panicky from an anecdote perspective: I am looking for a good business school to do a part time (self funded) PhD and the laziness in response from the research teams from many universities is staggering. It's like they are too busy with doing what they do (left wing propaganda or some shit) or they don't want the money. 

I'll keep this thread bookmarked with the intention of adding some insights as things move on. 

2 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

Counterpoint. Universities aren't yet panicky from an anecdote perspective: I am looking for a good business school to do a part time (self funded) PhD and the laziness in response from the research teams from many universities is staggering. It's like they are too busy with doing what they do (left wing propaganda or some shit) or they don't want the money. 

I'll keep this thread bookmarked with the intention of adding some insights as things move on. 

We tried farming out some CAD/design work to a local red brick uni a few years ago. Their lack of professionalism and missed deadlines brought an end to that experiment. They seem to have a very relaxed attitude to delivery dates.

4 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

PhD students don't bring much money to the department and are often a ballache to supervise. The worst ones to supervise are the ones with a strong sense of entitlement and a tendency to blame their problems on everybody but themselves.

1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

PhD students don't bring much money to the department and are often a ballache to supervise. The worst ones to supervise are the ones with a strong sense of entitlement and a tendency to blame their problems on everybody but themselves.

Haha. The worst ones to supervise are those who are driven and have been working with industry for years or decades...and have to suffer the slug-like pace of career academics and their ability to lay down a heavy fog of war over any normally simple administrative functions.