House Price Crash Forum

Do You Know Any People Who Are Almost Insane With Anger At The Brexit Referendum Result?

Si1

HOLA441
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

If so, what are their defining characteristics apart from their view on the brexit result?

One category I can think of is those EU citizens that are most affected, but weren't allowed to vote. This despite paying insane amounts of tax in this country and sometimes having lived here a decade or more......

btw) Obviously the same applies to British expats in the rest of the EU.

HOLA444

I spent Friday to Sunday at a corporate retreat for my partner's work. Not a single person there was on less than 100k a year, and it was absolute shock on Friday morning -- grown men were actually crying. Corporate London exists in a bubble. These people never meet anyone on average wages unless they are a waiter in a restaurant. In this group, though, there does seen to be a correlation between size of mortgage and emotional attachment to the EU.

HOLA445

I spent Friday to Sunday at a corporate retreat for my partner's work. Not a single person there was on less than 100k a year, and it was absolute shock on Friday morning -- grown men were actually crying. Corporate London exists in a bubble. These people never meet anyone on average wages unless they are a waiter in a restaurant. In this group, though, there does seen to be a correlation between size of mortgage and emotional attachment to the EU.

Similar experience where I work, although no tears. Generally on Friday it was the higher up the food chain the bigger the disappointment

HOLA446

My entire family, they personally accused me, with my single vote, of destroying their entire world and their children's world (even though they can apply for Irish passports). One, a rich but lifelong labour supporter, even said that democracy should be guided by those who know better than the proles when we complained about the non democratic EU. They avoided the uneducated and racist bit given I have a degree and am married to an Eastern European. Fun family lunch it was not.

HOLA447

If so, what are their defining characteristics apart from their view on the brexit result?

The only real nutters I've seen are all lefties.

That said in the last couple of days a few have calmed down, so maybe at least partially it was a shock thing. I actually had a mate of mine messenger me Friday morning telling me 'thank you very much, you've destroyed my business'.

Expect LibDem membership to rise as I'm seeing a lot of people saying they are going to sign up to fight this thing.

HOLA448

My entire family, they personally accused me, with my single vote, of destroying their entire world and their children's world (even though they can apply for Irish passports). One, a rich but lifelong labour supporter, even said that democracy should be guided by those who know better than the proles when we complained about the non democratic EU. They avoided the uneducated and racist bit given I have a degree and am married to an Eastern European. Fun family lunch it was not.

Yeah, I have a degree and am married to an Eastern European as well. Who voted leave, incidentally. :D

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Seems like everyone I have met, apart from two, voted out. The two who voted in consist of a rich widow who listens to all the privileged stuff from her dead husbands associates and the other is a married couple with kids who are in the process of buying a £750.000 house with what I can only assume a very large mortgage. They appear apoplectic...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Been laughing my **** off all weekend at the hysteria from friends as well as the media, funnily enough it was watching discussions on Youtube byTony Benn and Tariq Ali that crystallized the doubts i had about remaining in and so voted out..........................oh the irony!

HOLA4413

Was a strange weekend indeed, my parents voted remain by post as they think leaving will result in WW3 as they were children in WW2. The other half was distraught at first (but calmed down later) after voting leave! The sister in law went ballistic with a huge rant on twitter as a remainer who sucks the teat of local government and the highways agency. My 3 sons in their 20s voted leave (1 is a uni student the other 2 work in engineering) and are quite indiffernet to all the fuss.

Went to a party where everyone who mentioned it had voted Leave, one who is a court officer said the 3 Judges/Magistrates on duty on friday had all voted leave as had most of the court staff (huge workload dealing with the issues of the large local Eastern European community).

The Indian born Engineers at work all voted leave.

Only one Engineer that I know of voted remain, a known lover of all things EU related he was worried about what standards we would use as we won't be able to use the EU ones that have usurped British Standards, I said don't worry we will use Chinese ones as virtually everything will be made there anyway, after all CE means Chinese Equipment :-)

The managers however all voted remain, these guys are in the £75K range and were mortified at the result and were worrying over their travel arrangements, the price of their next BMW/Merc and how they would deal with French clients.

HOLA4414

After spending all of Friday seeing phd' s and profs having some sort of mental breakdown about: shares, the pound, petrol prices etc. I then have a family member going on about how leaving is commiting economic suicide as every business is now going to leave the country. Honestly, I have never seen reasonable people go so mad that I thought i was going to be attacked.

HOLA4415

I take it your wife agreed with your vote as well, I used my vote for the both of us.

Yeah, we walked down to the polling station together actually, as we always do.

She finds British elections very quaint and sort of uplifting, oddly enough. She's old enough to remember communism and brings that up every time we go. ;)

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Corporatism?

HOLA4419

The anger is mostly from the Guardian crowd in my experience. They are in well paid jobs, nice homes in nice areas (but with large mortgages).

They are not at the point of listening to reason at the moment in the main. Pointing out that this is democratic process for example seems to merely antagonise them even further. I'm not sure why.

I'm not the first to say this, but the one thing that does unite them is a very odd understanding of the democratic process. I'm still trying to understand it, but it seems to go something like this:

1) Anger at Cameron (he should never have called the referendum). With the result going the "wrong" way it isn't democratic, it is "mob rule" or "populism"

2) Hate / bile at the evil self-serving boomers that have destroyed their future.

3) Having argued that there shouldn't have been a referendum, there now should be another one, immediately. The "people" clearly didn't understand the question is an often used reason

4) In the event that there isn't a referendum (who should yield the right result of course) any means necessary to divert (be it the SNP north of the border, general election with pro-EU MPs, etc. of combination of) is the route to go

The other shared common theme (from the remain "ranters", which isn't everyone of course) is a no acknowledgement at all that any other person in the UK would have had anything other than the largely positive experience that they themselves have had. That simply does not resonate at all.

HOLA4420

It was hard going explaining to remainiac friends after getting the now well trodden, "its the working classes that'll be hardest hit" to which my reply's been they've been getting it in the **** for the last forty years hence the result. Some people live in bubbles i guess!

HOLA4421

The only large poll I'm aware of was funded by Lord Ashcroft.

Remain voters were more likely to be...

• Under 45
  • Graduate
  • Supportive of multiculturalism
  • From London, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Make of that what you wish.

HOLA4422

Yeah, I have a degree and am married to an Eastern European as well. Who voted leave, incidentally. :D

And me three. There seems to be a lot of us on here! Btw, if my wife had a vote, she would have voted out as well.

Most my family voted out. It was almost a bonding moment as I don't get on well with them (all HPI lovers) most of the time!

HOLA4423

And me three. There seems to be a lot of us on here! Btw, if my wife had a vote, she would have voted out as well.

Most my family voted out. It was almost a bonding moment as I don't get on well with them (all HPI lovers) most of the time!

My other half would have voted in. It seems UK based Greeks have gone full on Stockholm syndrome.

Fortunately, my FiL (in Greece) thinks I did the right thing.

HOLA4424

My 3 children (all in their 30s). They've all gone very quiet in the last few days as they know I voted leave. We all have degrees but they are "Blair's children" and unfortunately seem to have imbibed that mindset despite my best efforts. I see it as brainwashing by the elite which they've fallen for :)

HOLA4425

It was hard going explaining to remainiac friends after getting the now well trodden, "its the working classes that'll be hardest hit" to which my reply's been they've been getting it in the **** for the last forty years hence the result. Some people live in bubbles i guess!

I've got this, the poor will get it worst. Just given as a fact I should accept, because clearly I'm selfish like that and haven't given other people any thought. Grrrr.