GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

4 hours ago, HairyOb1 said:

If we do leave, we're effectively going to trade war with 27 nations, 2 of which are far stronger than us.

Nothing is happening, nothing; civil servants are stating this, that nothing is happening, that they don't even have the staff to start doing anything.

And the nasty French are trying to take advantage of our foolishness.  What rogues!

4260884A00000578-0-image-a-13_1500153874

2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Undermining Hammond is just digging an even bigger electoral hole for themselves.  Apparently Boris is still favorite among Tory party members to take over from May, which seems to completely ignore the mood of the country and would play straight into Corbyn's hands. 

Don't they realise that whatever their views on Brexit this is not a time to be led by a clown. 

I can't decide who I want the most - Johnson or Mogg!

Both would result in a massive gift to Labour and the end of the Tories as a viable party for a generation. 

The complete lack of talent in the cabinet is quite astonishing. I can't remember it ever being worse, I mean most of them can't even do a quick interview without putting their foot in it.

1 hour ago, thecrashingisles said:

And the nasty French are trying to take advantage of our foolishness.  What rogues!

4260884A00000578-0-image-a-13_1500153874

Yes, fancy have the brass neck to try and compete with us for business. The bare faced cheek of it. Just imagine how outraged we are going to be when the Germans and Japanese box up their factories and ship them over to continental Europe.

Meanwhile, the Germans told the Irish they think the British government is "farcical" and "making it up as they went along" after a visit to Westminster.

Brexit: German politicians tell Irish counterparts ‘British are a disgrace’

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-german-politicians-irish-british-disgrace-farcical-a7843526.html

Not news to anyone who lives in the UK and has to listen the utter fantasy that our political class put out regarding Brexit, but worrying that the emperor's lack of clothes are starting to raise eyebrows beyond the English Channel.

6 hours ago, HairyOb1 said:

The bed wetting has been ridiculous from the leave group, but trust me, this is not all over and nor is it a football match with winners and losers, as it's a losing situation for both sides, so to dress it up as anything other than that's fairly foolish.

If we do leave, we're effectively going to trade war with 27 nations, 2 of which are far stronger than us.

Nothing is happening, nothing; civil servants are stating this, that nothing is happening, that they don't even have the staff to start doing anything. 

You're truly in a severe case of denial if you actually do think anything is happening.

Don't apply logic to this fella, he's clearly going to boil a blood vessel when we don't actually leave....

Nothing is happening ? Would you like to have a bet in that ? 

Money = mouth. 

6 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

:lol::lol::lol: You are very funny.

I have set up working groups is what you say when you have achieved nothing.

So Fox knows what's happening ? Unlike what you have said ? 

Come on - out with it. 

54 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

I can't decide who I want the most - Johnson or Mogg!

Both would result in a massive gift to Labour and the end of the Tories as a viable party for a generation. 

The complete lack of talent in the cabinet is quite astonishing. I can't remember it ever being worse, I mean most of them can't even do a quick interview without putting their foot in it.

Labour is not better. Now they want have the cake and eat it. They know that they don't get any credit by telling the truth, it is much better to tell fairy tales and let Tories crash the country and themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/16/labour-rebecca-long-bailey-brexit-cake-and-eat-it

11 minutes ago, slawek said:

Labour is not better. Now they want have the cake and eat it. They know that they don't get any credit by telling the truth, it is much better to tell fairy tales and let Tories crash the country and themselves.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/16/labour-rebecca-long-bailey-brexit-cake-and-eat-it

Of course they want the Tories to crash. Which is precisely why Corbyn didn't fall for May's "let's share Brexit together" trap. He wants all the s**t to be stuck to the Tories, as it will be.

I don't think Labour are better, but the Tories aren't exactly being straight with people over Brexit now are they? 

TBH the ideal scenario would be a vote of no confidence in the current government (highly likely) which leads to another general election where Labour get the most MPs but not enough for a majority and have to rely on the Lib Dems and SNP to keep them straight.

44 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Of course they want the Tories to crash. Which is precisely why Corbyn didn't fall for May's "let's share Brexit together" trap. He wants all the s**t to be stuck to the Tories, as it will be.

I don't think Labour are better, but the Tories aren't exactly being straight with people over Brexit now are they? 

TBH the ideal scenario would be a vote of no confidence in the current government (highly likely) which leads to another general election where Labour get the most MPs but not enough for a majority and have to rely on the Lib Dems and SNP to keep them straight.

Britain needs an urgent reality check. At the moment behaves like a spoil child, thinking it is exceptional and deserves some special treatment. Playing politics around this won't do much good for the country.

All looks now that Tories will do some show for the public how though they are with the EU hoping the other side will chicken out in the last minute and offer some solution that will avoid "no deal" scenario and the huge mess coming with it. Remembering Greece "negotiation" and how well the EU is prepared I wouldn't count on this.      

1 hour ago, Futuroid said:

What on earth makes you think that the Tories could not weather a vote of no confidence?

1 hour ago, ccc said:

So Fox knows what's happening ? Unlike what you have said ? 

Come on - out with it. 

Out with what - the fact that you must be one of the most gullible people on earth not to be able to see through that car crash interview.

8 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

At least we know you know nothing about music, literature or ballet.

Gravy - I have a soft spot for Eastern Slavs - long story.

Anyway I have friends, both Russian and Ukrainian. Been to both quite a few times. Their older cultural heritage was helped by their connection to Europe, the Tsars and royal families etc. The writing and music was supreme - albeit characteristically deep and downbeat. Since the revolution(s), they have not created much as most of the talent went into the game of either propaganda or creating against the state.

These days, the culture is one of either survival or oligarchy with courtiers. It's a very dangerous place. Humanity does not thrive under an umbrella of fear and hopelessness.

As I said, a real shame.

9 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Having worked in the US and several EU countries, I would argue that culturally we are nothing like the US despite our shared language.  In fact I felt we had far more in common with the Germans, especially the Bavarian's than the American's.

People keep on saying we should align ourselves more with the Americans. Their business, political and financial systems are truly alien to the traditions and good things of this country. I have no doubt their ability to innovate is (or has been) spectacular. But Wall Street has the country by the b*lls now, which is why there are no rocket scientists, only super-brained  PHD's working on how to make the sheep click and buy more.

People must be careful what they wish for. The UK will be completely hollowed out by the Elites of America if we get any closer. It's bad enough already.

Edited by jonb2

32 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

What makes you think they could.

Maths?

But then as my Gran always said, lefties can't do sums.

8 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Watching Fox being interviewed by Andrew Neil, he definitely doesn't know; bit of a car crash interview. 

39 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Out with what - the fact that you must be one of the most gullible people on earth not to be able to see through that car crash interview.

Does he know about various Brexit related things that are happening ? Yes or no ? 

It's a rhetorical question btw. He clearly does. Which makes your statement nonsense. Yet again. 

1 hour ago, Byron said:

Maths?

Your Gran hadnt't factored in the DUP and the possibility of a hard NI/Eire border, with possible reunification of Ireland ramifications...

3 hours ago, Byron said:

Maths?

I doubt it will come down to simple maths, 

If things get so bad they lose a vote of confidence, there is little or no chance they could get their version of Brexit through the house.

What then, the only options I can see are hold a GE to resolve the issue or put it to a second referendum (this would have to be the simple choice of do we accept the proposed deal or revoke A50 - as we don't have control over any other options). 

11 hours ago, Futuroid said:

The disorganised disunity of the UK is not going unnoticed by our biggest European trading partner:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/brexit-eu-und-grossbritannien-steuern-auf-scheitern-zu-a-1157448.html

Executive summary - they are starting to lose faith in the ability of the UK to get it's act together and decide what it wants. Interestly, even on the matter of citizen's rights post-Brexit, the UK doesn't seem to have a clear position.

Oh my !  The European Commission wants to continue  legal proceedings against London for 83 violations of EU treaties.  The Westminster clowns are toast.

Edited by ZeroSumGame

3 hours ago, ccc said:

Does he know about various Brexit related things that are happening ? Yes or no ? 

It's a rhetorical question btw. He clearly does. Which makes your statement nonsense. Yet again. 

Ok I agree. In your bizarrely limited interpretation, you are right he does know stuff is happening. But what that stuff is he seemed less clear about, as to what if anything concrete had been achieved he was completely unable to say.  

So in practical terms the interview revelled he knew nothing about where the negotiations are going, and seemed to disagree with both Boris and Hammond about some of the key issues being negotiated.   

15 hours ago, thecrashingisles said:

Having worked in the US and several EU countries, I would argue that culturally we are nothing like the US despite our shared language.

You only have to look at how Brits tend to blend in better when they emigrate to anglo countries. Compare that to the 'English' villages of France, the Spanish Brit 'costas'.

Even somewhere like Melbourne that still has ghettos where Italians, Greeks live (we are talking many generations too). No such British ghettos despite the million plus Brits who have moved out to Aus.

Sorry but on an individual level we have far more in common with people from anglo nations but that wasn't really my point.

My point was on a national level. It's been spelt out many times who are real friends are. The likes of Canada, Australia, the U.S., special relationships, first in line for trade deals, happy to lend negotiators etc etc.

I've never heard anything like this coming out of European leaders. We're now disliked even more due to Brexit. 

When it comes down to the vital issues of trust and security then look up 'five eyes'. Says it all to me.

7 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Ok I agree. In your bizarrely limited interpretation, you are right he does know stuff is happening. But what that stuff is he seemed less clear about, as to what if anything concrete had been achieved he was completely unable to say.  

So in practical terms the interview revelled he knew nothing about where the negotiations are going, and seemed to disagree with both Boris and Hammond about some of the key issues being negotiated.   

I was just pointing out that people on here saying "nothing" is happening or the people involved know nothing about what is going on are talking nonsense. 

And as people continue to come out with this nonsense - I shall continue to point it out. 

Morning all! Another day, another complete lack of preparation and notable absence of strategy...

UK 'sleepwalking' into food insecurity after Brexit, academics say
Study attacks complacency after years of stable food supplies and prices, saying lack of policy ‘suggests chaos unless redressed’

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/17/uk-sleepwalking-into-food-insecurity-after-brexit-academics-say

Leave voters: Feel free to dismiss this report, it was prepared by experts. As we can see from the UK government cabinet, on matters of importance the British public prefer the word of amateurs. Try humming "they need us more than we need them" while you keep your fingers in your ears.

Brexit-related anxiety and domestic political uncertainty continue

The UK needs to prepare itself for weaker economic performance, the downsides of the Brexit vote. Fragile business sentiment linked to Brexit-related anxiety, domestic political uncertainty and squeezed consumer budgets have caused UK business confidence to drop to its lowest point for almost six years. Meanwhile, Britain’s economic growth will continue to weaken this year due to a Brexit-related consumer-spending squeeze and muted earnings growth. Companies have become increasingly worried about the business outlook, largely as a result of heightened political uncertainties and the potential impact of Brexit.

Consumer spending, the economy’s main engine of growth, would continue to lose momentum as the pound’s collapse since the Brexit vote continued to stoke inflation. “The inflationary squeeze on consumers has been painful and shows little sign of easing any time soon. Sterling’s sharp drop is yet to fully feed through to the consumer price index, with inflation expected to reach up to 3.3% this autumn – well ahead of the growth in average earnings. Real household disposable income is forecast to fall by 0.2% in 2017. Guardian

Brexit must be now the number one excuse for everything, definitely overtook the weather.

2 hours ago, ccc said:

I was just pointing out that people on here saying "nothing" is happening or the people involved know nothing about what is going on are talking nonsense. 

And as people continue to come out with this nonsense - I shall continue to point it out. 

We you can but you just come across as unable to put comments in their context, maybe a bit of OCD going on. 

As almost anyone else would know when people say nothing is happening, they mean nothing useful or helpful to the UK's cause.   

12 hours ago, Futuroid said:

Your Gran hadnt't factored in the DUP and the possibility of a hard NI/Eire border, with possible reunification of Ireland ramifications...

Hardly a convincing reason.

The DUP are not likely to suddenly embrace Corbyn style left wing politics, and I doubt that the idea of a hard border with the Catholic South will bother them at all.