GreenDevil

Brexit What Happens Next Thread ---multiple merged threads.

38 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Ireland may do quite well out of a hard Brexit, already there is a shortage of high quality commercial property in Dublin as leases and options are being bought up as firms makes their contingency plans to move staff out of London.  We could easily see +5,000 jobs move to Dublin which is quite a big deal for a country the size of Ireland.  

One of the comments in the linked article:

Blackthorn
So a little know fact - 88% of Ireland's electricity comes from the UK - after Brexit if there are tarrifs their energy prices will go up - so by moving to Dublin businesses are putting themselves at more risk 

I have no doubt that other EU cities will be capitalising on potential Dublin wobbles.

51 minutes ago, Sheeple Splinter said:

One of the comments in the linked article:

I have no doubt that other EU cities will be capitalising on potential Dublin wobbles.

If the £ collapses they may be getting cheaper electricity even if tariffs were applied (which they won't be).  

In any case, in that event the exodus out of London would be so large Dublin would do well if it only took a few % of those leaving.

2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

What figures are you using.

Bit rich coming from you, Mr anything I don't like must be wrong.

About £50bn.

Maybe that would give us about £25bn if we went for 50-50 split of the benefits of a deal; but as the relative economic harm impacts about 10 to 1 on the UK, they may decide they don't need to. 

I see, so the UK benefits from EU trade to the tune of £100Bn+ per year but the EU only benefits by £50Bn? Right.

That must be because of the huge trade surplus the UK has with the EU. Oh wait....😁

Like I said, nonsense, made up Remoaner fabrications. Try harder.

rollover   

Brussels wants Britain ‘to pay for its £55BILLION pensions pot’ after Brexit

The gold-plated fund banks the average EU official £59,000 – and allows the most senior Brussels bigqigs to draw a maximum of £166,000 in yearly payments in retirement. And according to analysts, Brussels could demand Britain pays between £4.4billion and £5.7billion during Brexit negotiations. A senior Brussels source told MailOnline: “Commitments have been made and this is not theoretical. “These are commitments which exist and we need to make sure that the UK lives up to its part of these commitments.” Zsolt Darvas said “It really is a huge amount but it was agreed by the member states.”

Express

Commitments are commitments and should be honored.

12 hours ago, the gardener said:

I see, so the UK benefits from EU trade to the tune of £100Bn+ per year but the EU only benefits by £50Bn? Right.

That must be because of the huge trade surplus the UK has with the EU. Oh wait....😁

Like I said, nonsense, made up Remoaner fabrications. Try harder.

Well that's what the major economic forecasters think, your problem is you are not even trying as its just so much easier to make thing up.

For some reason when I read this I thought of you: https://www.indy100.com/article/flat-earth-conspiracy-theorist-spirit-level-plane-prove-curvature-7746121

Edited by Confusion of VIs

rollover   

Michael Fallon admits Tories do not know the cost of their immigration plans

Sir Michael Fallon has admitted the Conservatives have not costed out one of their key manifesto promises aimed at reducing immigration by two-thirds.

The Defence Secretary was forced to admit that they did not know how much a proposal to double the Immigration Skills Charge - a levy imposed on organisations for every skilled non-EU worker they hire - would cost the economy.

The proposal is one of a range of measures proposals by the party aimed at of reducing annual migration to the "tens of thousands" - a promise originally made in their 2010 manifesto.  The aim of the Immigration Skills Charge is to force business owners to train up UK workers instead of recruiting the skills they need from abroad.

But critics, including members of the party itself, have criticised the plans. Former small business minister Anna Soubry called it “a tax on successful business”. Independent

It looks like all parties just making up the figures.

It really does raise the question though of how the other members can afford this generous pension scheme to keep on going. If it is this bad now, how much money will need to be paid in 15 years time? It feels like the full cost of membership is not being charged each year and the membership fee needs to increase to cover these yet to be funded commitments the EU has

ccc   
2 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Totally agree, some of that money is mine. 

Well who would have guessed. 

ccc   

If there wasn't already numerous good reasons for leaving the EU the fact the average EU official gets a 59k per year pension really leaves us in no doubt. 

Corruption on a massive multinational scale. 

6 minutes ago, ccc said:

If there wasn't already numerous good reasons for leaving the EU the fact the average EU official gets a 59k per year pension really leaves us in no doubt. 

how is getting your contracted pension corruption.

Also plenty of similar pension schemes closer to home, the railways pension scheme is about as good as the Commission's.

ccc   
Just now, Confusion of VIs said:

how is getting your contracted pension corruption.

Also plenty of similar pension schemes closer to home, the railways pension scheme is about as good as the Commission's.

I'm not going to bother wasting my time arguing the point that - whether agreed or not - your average EU bod getting a 59k per year pension is a piss take of corruption on a massive scale. 

People can make up their own minds. 

pig   
14 minutes ago, ccc said:

In other words, as nearly all other rational arguments have failed, maybe stirring up some pension envy will add to the misdirected resentment ?

5 minutes ago, ccc said:

I'm not going to bother wasting my time arguing the point that - whether agreed or not - your average EU bod getting a 59k per year pension is a piss take of corruption on a massive scale. 

People can make up their own minds. 

We'll see if they're worth it when they go head to head with their Whitehall opposite numbers in the Brexit negotiations.  My money's on team Berlaymont.

8 hours ago, rollover said:

Seems like an extrodinarily large figure for a share of the pension commitment. There are commitments we need to honour, but this sounds extreme.

10 hours ago, rollover said:

I have no particular difficulty with this. We should honour the pension committments but of course:

1) There's no need to pay the entire lump sum in one go, instead pay as the pensions begin to be drawn

2) No further UK funded pension benefits are accrued from the date of leaving the EU. Accrued benefits up to the date of leaving are frozen. The EU27 will have to learn to live within their means without the largesse of the UK.

3) Any future changes to the EU pension scheme cannot result in an increase in UK liabilities. When the EU realise the unsustainability of their pensions and reduce the payouts the UK liabilities will fall in proportion. Another good reason to pay nothing up front.

rollover   

How Brexit haunts May’s Conservative manifesto

Theresa May heads into next month’s general election armed with a manifesto that kills off any lingering fear (or hope) of a soft, half-in-half-out Brexit.  The Prime Minister is very explicit: Brexit means out of the single market, out of the customs union and the return of full control over EU immigration. If she wins the election, as almost every pollster and academic expects, she will have a cast-iron mandate to force it through both houses of Parliament. Here are the major Brexit commitments — and obfuscations — which will shape the negotiations with Brussels:

Politico

They look like they don't really want to win the election.

ccc   
13 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

Probably anyone who read that I worked for the Commission.

No way !! You used to work for the EU !?

And your future monetary income could be impacted by our brexit negotiations !!

Who ever would have guessed it !!

:lol:

13 hours ago, pig said:

In other words, as nearly all other rational arguments have failed, maybe stirring up some pension envy will add to the misdirected resentment ?

All the Brexit rational arguments have won. Have you not been reading this thread ? 

Pension "envy" ? 

No.

Just staggered by the ludicrous numbers involved here. We all know the EU is a gravy train for all those jumping aboard. But this really takes the piss. 

rollover   
2 hours ago, ccc said:

All the Brexit rational arguments have won. Have you not been reading this thread ? 

Pension "envy" ? 

No.

Just staggered by the ludicrous numbers involved here. We all know the EU is a gravy train for all those jumping aboard. But this really takes the piss. 

You are probably the only one, who didn't catch up with parties manifestos. All of them are disasters, and far from rational arguments.

3 hours ago, ccc said:

Pension "envy" ? 

No.

So you have no problem with the  millions of Britons who are getting similar final salary pensions from the state and private companies in the UK  but the couple of thousand Brits getting the same from  the EU is an outrageous scandal?

3 hours ago, ccc said:

Pension "envy" ? No.

This is about the third time you have been surprised to find out I worked for the commission. 

The negotiations will have no impact on my pension, apart from any exchange rate fluctuations.

What ludicrous numbers, pensions cost what they cost  (the EU pension is pretty similar to the reformed civil service pension (actually worse for many staff as it pays out at 65, my civil service and Siemens pensions pay at 60).  

The EU is a pretty average gravy train considering how competitive the open competition to jump on board is. I left because there was more gravy on offer elsewhere.

ccc   

I was being facetious I know you worked there. B)

So you agree it's another gravy train. Just because other ones exist doesn't make it right or ok. 

rollover   

Brexit Secretary David Davis warns Britain will walk out of talks if EU demands €100bn

Independent

And what if EU will demand the original 50 billion? Everything is going to be okay?

pig   
7 hours ago, ccc said:

Pension "envy" ? 

No.

:lol::lol::lol:

There have been considered Leaver views that have floated above the general Leaver tendentious nonsense. Sheeple Splinter is right about the 'noise'.

But in the main its been a bit like the Leaver pin-up, Trump, winning the election and subsequently being exposed as the worst PotUS in living memory.