House Price Crash Forum

Graduates In England Facing Debts Of £44,000

HOLA441

http://news.sky.com/story/1686421/graduates-in-england-facing-debts-of-44000

Graduates In England Facing Debts Of £44,000

(one of) Britain's shame.

Imposed on the young by people who got their tertiary education for free.

It must be only after they have run up the debt they become educated enough to realise what a f**king con it is.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Coincidentally I was discussing this with a colleague yesterday.

Her daughter was thinking of doing a three year degree (in dance!)

Looked at tuition costs (£9k) and then maintenance loan (£8,200) and she would leave with a debt of £51,600 after three years.

Add on that if she doesn't go to Uni she could earn about £15k per annum, the qualification (assuming she passes) will have cost her over £96,000.

I don't think she is going.

HOLA444

I heard this morning Its almost double the US average. Imagine even considering that even 10-20 years ago.

Everyone used to think US Colleges were crazy mental with the amounts people left owing. Now we haven't just caught up - we have absolutely smashed them.

Brilliant work.

HOLA445
HOLA446

I heard this morning Its almost double the US average. Imagine even considering that even 10-20 years ago.

Everyone used to think US Colleges were crazy mental with the amounts people left owing. Now we haven't just caught up - we have absolutely smashed them.

Brilliant work.

My teen daughter has decided she'd like to get a degree and go to uni. I suggested to her that if she's going to run up tens of thousands of £ in student debt for her education, then she may as well make a real adventure of it and go to a college in somewhere like the USA. It sounds like it could also be the rational choice for financial reasons too.

HOLA447

I handed my accountancy practice (what was left of it) to a 30 year old girl that had become an ACA at 26, she left school at 16. May I suggest there are alternatives to university, and tbh it's a rite of passage not anything that can honestly be applied to real work.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I handed my accountancy practice (what was left of it) to a 30 year old girl that had become an ACA at 26, she left school at 16. May I suggest there are alternatives to university, and tbh it's a rite of passage not anything that can honestly be applied to real work.

There were. But even your own example is showing there are less and less at the mo.

I'd guess accountants have been more than decimated in the last 20 years.

The old trick of charing out book keepers at accontant's rate has long gone.

The software is too good and computers too cheap.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

There were. But even your own example is showing there are less and less at the mo.

I'd guess accountants have been more than decimated in the last 20 years.

The old trick of charing out book keepers at accontant's rate has long gone.

The software is too good and computers too cheap.

Plenty of work, wouldn't recommend it myself as I didn't enjoy the job, but some do. Folk don't like doing tax returns, if quarterly reporting replaces the annual tax return, then not only will firms and individuals be in chaos but there will be even more call for accountants.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Because their lecturers and vice chancellors are worth it.

Of course they are....

So much in fact that they, any MP who voted for fees and the uni fee lobbyists should put their money where their mouth is and retrospectively pay back the education they got for free.

Only fair

HOLA4418

Why can't we just learn off of each other for free or do our own research......why should a good employer request a certain expensive and sometimes time wasting certificate?... they should be judging the person, what they have done and are interested in, not the persons background, previous schooling or ability to memorise useless facts......a short series of tests and questions and answers will sort the wheat from the chaff for most occupations, build on that......not difficult. ;)

HOLA4419

Why can't we just learn off of each other for free or do our own research......why should a good employer request a certain expensive and sometimes time wasting certificate?... they should be judging the person, what they have done and are interested in, not the persons background, previous schooling or ability to memorise useless facts......a short series of tests and questions and answers will sort the wheat from the chaff for most occupations, build on that......not difficult. ;)

You shoud watch the Wizard of Oz "If I only had a brain". :huh:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Because a whole economy of BTL, academics and support staff has been spawned. Think of GDP man. But it rather suits the masses imo.........their kids can go off on a Brideshead revisited fantasy rite of passage once the preserve of teddy bear carrying toffs. and the best thing is it is buy now, pay later. That is sure to appeal. Don't deny them their Human Geography and Drama degrees.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4422

Don't feel too sorry for the young.

They get great jobs, final salary pensions, cheap housing, no wars, jobs for life. loads of sh*gging.

Just popped back to 1960 in my time machine for a mo there

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4423

Because their lecturers and vice chancellors are worth it.

Lecturers on around £35-60k (Profs above that) after a shed load of prior study/training/work. Yes they're worth it.

VCs on the other hand are a waste of space but even they are "only" on £300-500k for, in some cases, running world class institutions with over 10k staff plus all the students. That's chicken feed compared to the parasites in the city.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425