R K

HOLA441
  • Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The Saudi is interesting.

One of the memes that was kicking around a few years ago was that all these cash rich (oil or exports) countries would be snapping up all the bonds issued by the US + UK (Euro area is balanced).

Still, the UK have had an easy 5 years to get its finances in order before the trouble arrives.

HOLA443

I posted this on the other thread before I noticed you had started a new thread...

I've already posted on another thread that we have seen a large up swing in applications from Saudi students wanting to study in the UK. The ones I have had dealings with do not intend to go back. In the past their students have always wanted to go back to get more free money.

Saudi is a big problem, as pointed out they produce nothing but oil and the country has one of the most inhospitable environments on earth. Also I suspect the fabulous wealth is the only reason any of them out up with the medieval religious beliefs.

Apart from the upheaval in the Middle East, if it goes off the west may see a significant nos of wealthy Saudis looking for properties (to get back on topic...)

HOLA444

Saudi is a big problem, as pointed out they produce nothing but oil and the country has one of the most inhospitable environments on earth. Also I suspect the fabulous wealth is the only reason any of them out up with the medieval religious beliefs.

Wasn't this one of Bin-Laden's gripes against the Saudi rulers that the country only produced oil and there was nothing else?

HOLA445

I've already posted on another thread that we have seen a large up swing in applications from Saudi students wanting to study in the UK. The ones I have had dealings with do not intend to go back. In the past their students have always wanted to go back to get more free money.

They may not want to go back, but they'll have to - under this and last Govt opportunities for O/S students to remain in UK following graduation have been decimated. Recent visa changes are making it nigh-on impossible. As Dyson has said often, it's sheer economic madness educating O/S students in order for them to take their new skills back to home country rather than stay in UK and contribute to UKPlc....

HOLA446

They may not want to go back, but they'll have to - under this and last Govt opportunities for O/S students to remain in UK following graduation have been decimated. Recent visa changes are making it nigh-on impossible. As Dyson has said often, it's sheer economic madness educating O/S students in order for them to take their new skills back to home country rather than stay in UK and contribute to UKPlc....

Although it would be even better to educate native students so that they contribute to UKplc.

But they don't bring in as much wonga to the educational institutions, of course.

HOLA447
HOLA448

As Dyson has said often, it's sheer economic madness educating O/S students in order for them to take their new skills back to home country rather than stay in UK and contribute to UKPlc....

Not really. If they are skilled and want to stay then they can apply for a skilled worker visa. Why should they get a leg up over candidates educated overseas?

HOLA449

I guess if they pay up front, they repatriate pounds...though I have a sneaking suspicion most foreign students load up on debt once in the UK and then bugger off without paying it back...as they consume but don't produce, they are nothing more than agents of inflation.

HOLA4410

I guess if they pay up front, they repatriate pounds...though I have a sneaking suspicion most foreign students load up on debt once in the UK and then bugger off without paying it back...as they consume but don't produce, they are nothing more than agents of inflation.

What sort of debt would they load up on?

EU students can get tuition fee loans, though not maintenance loans.

I didn't think overseas students from outside the EU could get any student loans.

HOLA4411

If civil war breaks back home in the next 4-5 years they will get asylum, just like all the iraqi's did in 80's / 90's

HOLA4412

There was a suicide bombing at a Mosque in Abha (SW KSA) the other day. Doesn't seem to have made the news here. Interesting twist to this is that it was a Sunni mosque. Instead of the usual blaming of 'Shia Deviants' they Govt have already admitted that it was carried out by ISIS.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Also heard today that a guy I worked with here and previously in KSA was going back but the Saudi's have pulled the plug on 100's of work VISA's for expats.

There appears to be a very large leg down in laying off OAG contractors and permis at the mo.

I thought the ;ayoffs had stopped about 6 months ago. I was wrong. The layoffs have come back, massively.

HOLA4415

There was a suicide bombing at a Mosque in Abha (SW KSA) the other day. Doesn't seem to have made the news here. Interesting twist to this is that it was a Sunni mosque. Instead of the usual blaming of 'Shia Deviants' they Govt have already admitted that it was carried out by ISIS.

Biggish attack killing 17, was reported but not very visible.

Have been another few attacks in recent weeks 'just' killing 4 or 5 at a time.

The destabilisation and financial problems are closely related imho

HOLA4416

rubbish. look at the abilities to buy citizenship. Not a problem for that sort of money.

HOLA4417

There appears to be a very large leg down in laying off OAG contractors and permis at the mo.

I thought the ;ayoffs had stopped about 6 months ago. I was wrong. The layoffs have come back, massively.

This was Aramco - Grade code 15+

Also speaking to old colleague last night - he said loads of GC11+ vacancies frozen indefinitely.

HOLA4418

[deleted]

Saudi is a big problem, as pointed out they produce nothing but oil

Saudi is also the world's largest exporter of religious bigotry. Most of the Islamic misery is from Wahabi preachers (and of course the 9/11 crew were Saudis too). The sooner it ends the better.

HOLA4419

US onshore is a secondary objective and there is no way that this policy was not in someway sacntioned by the US. The Saudis flooding the oil market is ALL about Iran. They want the lowest oil price they can muster when Iran is de-sanctioned and for the period just after so that all the Iranian FDI is done on the worst terms possible for the Tehran government.

Also don't forget we are talking about Saudi running down reserves at this rate being done in 4,5 years whilst their debt to GDP is 1.5%! They have already announced they will do some debt issuance and who would not fund them vs. all the insolvent nations out there are also looking for funding.

Last important thing is a de-val. They could easily re-peg the SAR at a slightly lower FX rate. This would signal to the people that there were some serious problems depending on how it was communicated. They might not be the smartest tools in the box out there but they must realise that oil halving isn't great.

HOLA4420

Bank of America says OPEC is now "effectively dissolved". The cartel might as well shut down its offices in Vienna to save money.

The telegraph article might be correct but there have been similar articles for decades now although to be fair with shale oil etc things are at least for the moment a bit different than before.

As for OPEC being "effectively dissolved" they've also being saying something like that for decades now so it's nothing new and likely it's the truth that it is pretty ineffective in controlling things and has been for a long time.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4421

US onshore is a secondary objective and there is no way that this policy was not in someway sacntioned by the US. The Saudis flooding the oil market is ALL about Iran. They want the lowest oil price they can muster when Iran is de-sanctioned and for the period just after so that all the Iranian FDI is done on the worst terms possible for the Tehran government.

Also don't forget we are talking about Saudi running down reserves at this rate being done in 4,5 years whilst their debt to GDP is 1.5%! They have already announced they will do some debt issuance and who would not fund them vs. all the insolvent nations out there are also looking for funding.

Last important thing is a de-val. They could easily re-peg the SAR at a slightly lower FX rate. This would signal to the people that there were some serious problems depending on how it was communicated. They might not be the smartest tools in the box out there but they must realise that oil halving isn't great.

Except Irans economy is far more diverse than Saudi's and they don't require millions of expats to do all the work there. Iranians are generally pretty hard working.

HOLA4422

Except Irans economy is far more diverse than Saudi's and they don't require millions of expats to do all the work there. Iranians are generally pretty hard working.

Why is that an "except"?

I agree with you and that makes it worse for the Saudis!! Unleash the Iranians and that is one very fromidable arch enemy who is back at the international table - very frightening for them indeed.

HOLA4423

Why is that an "except"?

I agree with you and that makes it worse for the Saudis!! Unleash the Iranians and that is one very fromidable arch enemy who is back at the international table - very frightening for them indeed.

Not aimed at you but at the logic of KSA's strategy to drop oil prices to punish Iran when its even more reliant on oil than Iran is.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

a case of "when the only tool you have is a hammer, all problems look like nails" perhaps...

Defintiely they have 2 tools.....oil price manipulation and war. Both tools are being used agressivley right now, the former we have discussed and the latter being evident with the war in Yemen to the south and their boys in ISIS violently exporting wahhabism.

Edited by bankstersparadise