House Price Crash Forum

Fatties To Lose Benefits If They Don't Lose Weight - Cameron

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/obese-people-who-refuse-to-lose-weight-could-see-benefits-cut-david-cameron-to-announce-10422995.html

Overweight people who refuse to lose weight could see their benefits worth around £100 a week cut or suspended, David Cameron will announce.

“We must look at what we do when people simply say no thanks and refuse that help but expect taxpayers to carry on funding their benefits,” he will tell reporters during a trade visit to Singapore.

The aim of the policy will be to make sure more people seek treatment, the PM, who was described by one newspaper as “portly” when he was pictured topless on a Cornwall beach two years ago, will say.

He will add: “Over the next five years I want to see many more people coming off sick benefit and into work,” according to The Telegraph.

Professor Dame Carol Black, chair of the Nuffield Trust, will conduct a major review of the welfare system and will report back to the Prime Minister “on how best to achieve that”.

The cost of obesity to the NHS is £5 billion a year and £27 billion to the wider economy each year, according to the Department of Health.

Around 90,000 people also claim sickness benefits whose illness is primarily due to their drug or alcohol addiction, meaning that around 25 per cent of alcoholics and an estimated 80 per cent of heroin and crack users claim benefits, according to figures released by Downing Street.

While the PM will not explicitly say so, it is believed that drink and drug addicts could also be denied benefits if they refuse medical treatment.

David Cameron tackling the issues that really matter.

HOLA442

In other news, people with a title will not be denied £300 per day simply for being titled and turning up, no need to account for their previous fortnights efforts, no need to go on to Universal Job Match, and entitled to staff doffing their caps wherever they are rather then being scowled at and advised my a minimum waged staffer who would rather be somewhere where the aircon actually worked.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Some people claim disability benefits when their only real problem is they are too fat. It's ridiculous they should be living off our taxes. And even if they are only claiming unemployment they are effectively voluntarily unemployed since no one would give a job to a lazy lard ****. (Except Sainsbury's, they love a chubby. I met one so extreme the other day she didn't even have a uniform because they didn't have one big enough!)

Cameron is right to put the knife in.

HOLA447

124 peers in 'free money' racket: They pocket £300 a day despite having homes close to Parliament

2AE9EDE800000578-0-image-m-86_1438124091

Dozens of House of Lords peers are taking advantage of a scheme designed to make the system fairer following the MPs expenses scandal but which hugely favours those living in London.

Tax free too.

HOLA448

124 peers in 'free money' racket: They pocket £300 a day despite having homes close to Parliament

2AE9EDE800000578-0-image-m-86_1438124091

Dozens of House of Lords peers are taking advantage of a scheme designed to make the system fairer following the MPs expenses scandal but which hugely favours those living in London.

Well, not exactly tax free, but tax free to those that received it. That could be £70K PA, tax free.

HOLA449

Some people claim disability benefits when their only real problem is they are too fat. It's ridiculous they should be living off our taxes. And even if they are only claiming unemployment they are effectively voluntarily unemployed since no one would give a job to a lazy lard ****. (Except Sainsbury's, they love a chubby. I met one so extreme the other day she didn't even have a uniform because they didn't have one big enough!)

It is an offence to discriminate on grounds of disability

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Not all Nazis wear swastikas.

Some went to Eton, smashed up restaurants at Oxford, slick back their hair and wear blue ties to work.

Next up: Dementia patients to have "benefits" withheld if they refuse to get a grip & cancer patients told to stop their cancers growing else no more chemo.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

in my home town we have village idiot who is local drunk.

It is well know that he is registered alcoholic and he gets given money from the stae because of his 'disability'. I dont think he as ever worked in 20 years.

Given money to alcholic is just silly. he should be welfare vouchers so he cant buy special brew. The job center should make him clock in at 9am and clockout at 5pm to get benefits. It would stop him drinking and keep off the streets and they could find him somethink to do. Sewing mail bags ,breaking rocks , etc.

HOLA4415

Some fat people have addictive problems linked to mental health....just as some in positions of power, wealth and influence have mental health addictive problems.....both are given money, both have inadequacies. ;)

HOLA4416

in my home town we have village idiot who is local drunk.

It is well know that he is registered alcoholic and he gets given money from the stae because of his 'disability'. I dont think he as ever worked in 20 years.

Given money to alcholic is just silly. he should be welfare vouchers so he cant buy special brew. The job center should make him clock in at 9am and clockout at 5pm to get benefits. It would stop him drinking and keep off the streets and they could find him somethink to do. Sewing mail bags ,breaking rocks , etc.

Seems like madness, but perhaps this is better for society.

If it he is an addict, unable to recover and if he doesn't get money - what does he do? My suspicion is that like drug addicts, he'd turn to a life of crime. That could end up being more harmful to the rest of us.

HOLA4417

People don't tend to get too fat to move (and therefore work) unless there is some underlying mental health issue.

Then again mental health services are embarrassingly poor in this country. A friend of mine plucked up the courage to admit to mental health worries and was given a referral for a session of CBT therapy in 3 months time, this despite being housebound for a month. Fortunately for them they had the financial means to pay the £50 an hour and go private and now seem much better but had they not I dread to think what might have happened.

HOLA4418

Seems like madness, but perhaps this is better for society.

If it he is an addict, unable to recover and if he doesn't get money - what does he do? My suspicion is that like drug addicts, he'd turn to a life of crime. That could end up being more harmful to the rest of us.

He is allready banned form the local supermarket my mum works in for stealing. Perhaps a few months in prison would dry him out.

HOLA4419

The problem with the masses in this country is they want to have their cake and eat it, literally. Being overweight or obese is a lifestyle choice for the vast majority of those that have this affliction. People need to wake up and take responsibility for their actions. I would be curtailing access to the NHS based on such lifestyle choices, not worried so much about wellfare. Giving that sort of nudge in the right direction would be a win-win outcome for everyone, the individuals and society as a whole.

HOLA4420

It is an offence to discriminate on grounds of disability

Beautiful illustration of the hypocrisy/stupidity of equality laws.

In common sense land though, paying someone extra money to help keep them in a state of disability is silly. Removing disability benefits from someone who is disabled as a lifestyle choice or addiction seems like a sensible move, especially if the "carrot" side of the equation is using the money saved to provide psychological/addiction help (if that is really what they need).

That the state ever encouraged people to get fat to claim extra benefits was a travesty in the first place.

HOLA4421

It's one thing to talk about personal responsibility, but that ignores the fact that extraordinary sums of taxpayers' money has been used to subsidise the production of foodstuffs that are exceedingly bad news indeed for people. In a country of millions it is inevitable that significant numbers will succumb to them. Aiming the guns on these people rather misses the point imo, even if it is fair enough to criticize an individual. There is a bigger issue too.

Recent Coop (the ethical one, remember) £5.00 meal deal:

1 x Chicago Town stuffed crust limited edition (pulled pork) Takeaway pizza

1 x Coop Garlic Baguettes twin pack 310g

1 x Coop Potato Wedges bag 750g

1 x Coop Onion Rings bag 454g

1 x 1 litre tub of Mackies ice cream

HOLA4422

Beautiful illustration of the hypocrisy/stupidity of equality laws.

In common sense land though, paying someone extra money to help keep them in a state of disability is silly. Removing disability benefits from someone who is disabled as a lifestyle choice or addiction seems like a sensible move, especially if the "carrot" side of the equation is using the money saved to provide psychological/addiction help (if that is really what they need).

That the state ever encouraged people to get fat to claim extra benefits was a travesty in the first place.

I guess you could look at it as a subsidy for food companies.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

I guess you could look at it as a subsidy for food companies.

Correct.......the economy is run on the needy, disadvantaged, sick, poor, uneducated and addicted....all those who are unable to help themselves or know of no one that is prepared to help them.....when all you have is the state to help you, what have you got.......still most of the benefit money is cycled back into the tax pot to be redistributed again...... ;)

HOLA4425

It's one thing to talk about personal responsibility, but that ignores the fact that extraordinary sums of taxpayers' money has been used to subsidise the production of foodstuffs that are exceedingly bad news indeed for people. In a country of millions it is inevitable that significant numbers will succumb to them. Aiming the guns on these people rather misses the point imo, even if it is fair enough to criticize an individual. There is a bigger issue too.

Recent Coop (the ethical one, remember) £5.00 meal deal:

1 x Chicago Town stuffed crust limited edition (pulled pork) Takeaway pizza

1 x Coop Garlic Baguettes twin pack 310g

1 x Coop Potato Wedges bag 750g

1 x Coop Onion Rings bag 454g

1 x 1 litre tub of Mackies ice cream

That's fine if you do it on a friday night with a few beers and a film.

If you do it every day you have issues.

You will find Co-op stock an equally large selection of healthy food. People certainly shouldn't be encouraged to go for the former option because they'll get bigger hand outs from the state.

Archived