House Price Crash Forum

Things That Smartphones Have Ruined

HOLA441

Louis CK is right: smartphones have become a blight on our society

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technology/micwright/100010648/louis-c-k-is-right-smartphones-have-become-a-blight-on-our-society/

The author mentions concerts and other live events, pub quizzes, passing slack time by talking to others. To these I would add adventure travel and dating.

Anything else?

HOLA442

I always think it's surprising how much continues, as if google and the internet didn't exist. Such as pub quizzes and radio stations doing mystery years features.

So far fhe internet doesn't really seem to be as disruptive as it ought to be. Apart from the disappearance of record shops and tax discs the massive changes don't really seem to have occurred - probably explains a lof about the torpor in the economy.

HOLA443

I've just turned 36, and have done 2/3rds as many live concerts this year as I had done in the rest of my life up until the start of it. 4 of them were at my best mate's instigation - Billy Joel and Tony Bennett / Lady Gaga in New York, and Frank Sinatra Jr twice in the last week. I only organised the one myself, Steel Panther at Wembley Arena.

Now Steel Panther have at least one live DVD / Blu-Ray out; my wife bought it for me for Christmas, after I'd bought the ticket for the March show. I've not watched it yet but I've seen highlights on Youtube and so I know it's a cracking live vid. I'm pretty sure they were filming the concert I was at. And yet when Satchel strolled down to the front of the stage and started one of his brilliant solos my first instinct was to whip my phone out and record it. Which meant that I missed the first 5 seconds of brilliance and then spent the rest of it holding my phone up rather than rocking out. Which is a shame, and I won't make that mistake again.

Still, Steel Panther are a heavy rock act and you don't really notice what the other punters next to you are doing when you're dancing and headbanging. I was more peturbed by my best mate being more obsessed by taking crap smartphone photos of Billy Joel and Tony Bennett than enjoying the music. I found it incredibly distracting, and it must be equally so for the people sat behind him.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I think it's spoiled the ability for most people to sit on a bus or train and simple watch the world go by out the window for 30 mins.

I suppose for some it just replaces a newspaper or a book. Maybe it's rose tinted memories - but I am pretty sure even just ten years ago the majority on a bus or train sat quite happily without the need for entertainment.

HOLA448
HOLA449

The problem I have with them isn't the phones themselves, it's the cultural change that means everybody expects to be able to communicate with you at any time. Nobody properly arranges anything as there's no need to plan properly in advance when you can just talk to anybody at any point.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

A smartphone is just a tool (advanced as it is) - the operator decides when it's on, what it's doing,etc

If there are times in your day when your smartphone is not switched off then I think you've probably been assimilated.

A

Tell your boss or kids tell their parents that.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

The freedom of being unobtainable and uncontactable....... Having said that there are still lots of hot or free spots in the UK where people still can't be reached:-)

Easily achievable if you leave your phone at home.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

They probably cause some families to communicate less.

At least when everyone was huddled around a TV in the living room you had something in common to talk about.

With smart phones family members tend to vanish to the furthest corners of the house, only emerging for food and toilet breaks..

HOLA4419
Guest eight

At least when everyone was huddled around a TV in the living room you had something in common to talk about.

With smart phones family members tend to vanish to the furthest corners of the house, only emerging for food and toilet breaks..

Clearly your house is too big.

HOLA4420

I think it's spoiled the ability for most people to sit on a bus or train and simple watch the world go by out the window for 30 mins.

I suppose for some it just replaces a newspaper or a book. Maybe it's rose tinted memories - but I am pretty sure even just ten years ago the majority on a bus or train sat quite happily without the need for entertainment.

I certainly seem to be in the minority when I'm doing that. That everyone else is searching for distractions and can't deal with sitting back and watching the world go by is pretty tragic (and damaging, when that attitude is the one that directs society). That said I get increasingly pissed off looking out of windows on trains (even when I'm lucky enough not to be in a seat with legroom not set to Ryanair standards).

HOLA4421

Two people communicating giving each other 100% attention......with no irritating rude, interuptions.

People on the street not seeing where they are going and bumping into other people and street furniture unintentionally.

More accidents in autos due to distractions.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

You could make a similar argument for electricty ruining live events as per that infamous Mcr Dylan concert.

Or the camera ruining live events

Or the telephone causing the demise of the carrier pigeon or smoke semaphore

What a crock of old sh1te.

HOLA4424

The black and white minstrel show? Yeah, being able to text/talk to my children even when they're thousands of miles away is truly a step backwards in familial communication.

HOLA4425

The black and white minstrel show? Yeah, being able to text/talk to my children even when they're thousands of miles away is truly a step backwards in familial communication.

To be fair, this thread was only about the negative effects of smart phones.

There are clearly many positives.. I'm currently enjoying the MeteoEarth app showing predictive weather patterns in a Google Earth format :)

Archived