Grab_Some_Popcorn

Inconsequential Things That Annoy Me Intensely

Is there anything of minor significance that annoys you more that in should?

For me it is penguins on xmas cards. Everyone knows, or accepts for the benefit of children, that santa lives at the north pole. Penguins on the other hand live exclusively in the southern hemisphere. So why the heck are they on xmas cards.

1. Driving along a long emtpy road being the only car on the road. Up ahead someone operates a pedestrian crossing despite lookig at you and seeing that if they waited 5 seconds they could cross the road safely without the need for the car to stop.

2. Similiar as above. Again, driving along a long empty road with no traffic in front or behind you. A car in a side street pulls out in front of you in so much haste that it seems a matter of life and death that they must pull out in front of you... and then they proceed to crawl along at 15 to 20 MPH.

Both are just selfish and inconsiderate IMPO. Let the cars go past in both circumstances. I am not a big car driver but I find the above to just be inconsiderate.

3. Car driver in front of you who will brake sharply and repeatedly to allow cars out of side streets or to turn in front of him/her oblivious to the queue of cars behind him/her that all are forced to suddenly brake because.

Women who always turn the conversation towards their pussy.

I have a good friend who does this. She turns every conversation towards her cat. It is often a sign of loneliness or self-esteem issues but you have to wonder which came first - the cat stories or the social isolation.

chronyx   

Headphones being yanked out of my ears when I'm not expecting it (by objects not people)

I once smashed up an mp3 player when that happened as I was throwing a bloody heavy log into a skip :/

People who stop suddenly when I'm walking behind them. People walking towards me, but looking over their shoulder. People who gather in doorways when it's raining. People basically.

Is there anything of minor significance that annoys you more that in should?

For me it is penguins on xmas cards. Everyone knows, or accepts for the benefit of children, that santa lives at the north pole. Penguins on the other hand live exclusively in the southern hemisphere. So why the heck are they on xmas cards.

It's no wonder people are confused when children's books are often spectacularly wrong too. I have a penguin adventure book which has the intrepid hero returning home to his icy environs, compkete with igloos.

And an owl story which is very confusing as it has a clearly diurnal owl (eye colour) referred to as the ''little owl" used to assert that owls are exclusively nocturnal animals. Of the native UK species most are active during the daytime, including the Little Owl. Pouring rubish into children's heads from the word go.

Edited by Joan of The Tower

MrPin   

poor lane discipline on roundabouts

One for me too! I'm surprised people drive like that! How hard is it to activate the turn signal to give others a slight clue?

The main Sainsburys in Swansea has double doors but the managment seem to delight in locking one. This leaves one entrance / exit about 6 feet wide by which you have to enter or leave a major supermarket. But this, in itself, is not my gripe.

It seems to be a Swansea thing for people to stop exactly in the middle of this entrance to either rummage in their bags or, more often thsn not, to strike up a conversation. When you ask them politely to move aside they look at you as if you had told them you are about to stick a large knobbly vegetable up their bottom.

Headphones being yanked out of my ears when I'm not expecting it (by objects not people)

I once smashed up an mp3 player when that happened as I was throwing a bloody heavy log into a skip :/

Bluetooth headphones are the major game changer here. They will change your life.

I had exactly the same problem as you. Most earphones wouldn't stay in my ears anyhow - and the few that would or that clipped over your ear - were always getting snagged on tree branches, my hands, rucksack, bike handlebars etc.

I was lucky to get more than six months out of a pair regardless of whether they were £1 cheapies or £20 branded ones.

I had a set of tangle-free earphones and they were actually worse!

Bluetooth headphones will pair with most smartphones. Ahh....bliss.

These are reasonable ones for the price:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Wireless-Headphones-Headset-Cancellation/dp/B008NMWBBS/

They do make you look slightly like a cyborg though.

My first pair is over a year and half old and while the microphone seems to have gone (I do a lot of running in wet weather), the battery life and headphone bit is still good.

Edited by StainlessSteelCat

Dorkins   

1. Driving along a long emtpy road being the only car on the road. Up ahead someone operates a pedestrian crossing despite lookig at you and seeing that if they waited 5 seconds they could cross the road safely without the need for the car to stop.

just selfish and inconsiderate IMPO. Let the cars go past

You want pedestrians to gamble with their soft bodies full of breakable bones and puncturable organs so as not to inconvenience you for a few seconds?

The pedestrian is not the one being inconsiderate in this situation, you are by expecting the world to get out of your way as you zoom around in your big metal box.

winkie   

People who say they will do something then don't....not got the guts to say no, or not got the guts to say sorry I thought I could, but realise now I can't in good time.

Anyone who says or does almost anything to anybody to get what they want.

Edit to add....I do understand there are a few that do have problems with both these areas.

Edited by winkie

You want pedestrians to gamble with their soft bodies full of breakable bones and puncturable organs so as not to inconvenience you for a few seconds?

The pedestrian is not the one being inconsiderate in this situation, you are by expecting the world to get out of your way as you zoom around in your big metal box.

Those who take pleasure in inconveniencing others because they are "in the right".

http://www.ericberne.com/games-people-play/now-ive-got-you-you-son-of-a-bitch-nigysob/

Queue jumping....

Wetherspoons is chaotic but the guy who turns up to the crowded bar and gets served after you have been waiting five minutes.

You have been in a supermarket queue for five minutes, a new till opens and the bloody queue gets inverted. The new queue forms back first.

Edited by crashmonitor

Waiting at a bank, a queue is forming and the customer keeps asking the most stupid questions and the interview goes on and on. In other words the professional queue blocker.

Could I ask you what the ISA rates are?

How much do I have in my account?

It should be more than that, has the council tax gone out?

By the way what is an ISA?

While I am thinking about it can I transfer six pounds to my joint account.

What's that ISA rate again?

Hm not sure what to do, what do you think about that ISA?

Edited by crashmonitor

People (vested interest scientists + Beeb) going on about man made global warming as if it is a fact.

They have been very quiet lately with the old oil price drop. Probably in some bunker dreaming up new ideas (taxes) to extract more money from Joe public.

Sorry I missed the "Inconsequential" in the title so MMGW is not so inconsequential as we are all currently paying taxes for this lie.

I'm with TMT on the driving things. So I will through in people chatting beside a pedestrian crossing. Will they are won't they used it.

Actually read what I wrote - only car on any empty road. The pedestrian can wait moments for the car to pass - mere seconds.

I do it when I am crossing the road using a pedestrian crossing - I check the road and if only one or two cars coming I simply wait for, oh, a few seconds until they have passed and then I cross - so I see no reason why other pedestrians cannot also take a moment to look before automatically pushing the pedestrian crossing button like some mindless idiot.

Oh, forgot to say - tosser.

Queue jumping....

Wetherspoons is chaotic but the guy who turns up to the crowded bar and gets served after you have been waiting five minutes.

You have been in a supermarket queue for five minutes, a new till opens and the bloody queue gets inverted. The new queue forms back first.

One of the qualities of a good bar man/woman is knowing who is has been in the queue longest and who has just arrived an serving the longest waiting customer first. Doubt if you will get a good bar man/woman in wetherspoons.

ntb   

Cyclists who don't indicate. Vehicles that don't indicate. Cyclists at night with no lights on. Pushchair wielding women bulldozing three abreast down the pavement.

People who stop suddenly when I'm walking behind them. People walking towards me, but looking over their shoulder. People who gather in doorways when it's raining. People basically.

On pedestrians ethics.

The person who makes you step into the road blind, despite the fact that they face the oncoming traffic.

Inconsiderate, selfish and actully endangering the lives of others. Would never make an oncoming pedestrian blindly step into oncoming cars if the pavement is too narrow. As the one facing the traffic you have to police the situation, you step into the road or halt/warn the oncoming pedestrian if necessary.

Edited by crashmonitor