House Price Crash Forum

One In 10 Council Houses Is Occupied By A Foreigner

Sancho Panza

HOLA441

Telegraph 16/12/14

'Nearly one in 10 council houses is occupied by a foreigner, according to official figures.

The proportion of council houses occupied by British tenants has now fallen from 94 per cent in the final year of the last Labour Government to just 91 per cent.

The figures mean that occupation of council houses by foreigners in England is now at its highest level since at least 2006/7, with 27,000 homes lived in by foreigners.

The figures also show that the number of homes occupied by Eastern Europeans had doubled since the Coalition was formed in 2010 to four percent.

The department said: “A factor in this could be that since 2008/9, the list of A8 countries has expanded to include Bulgaria and Romania.”

The way subsidised homes have been going to foreign citizens and not to families with long-standing local connections has become politically sensitive as immigration hits record levels.

Frank Field MP and Sir Nicholas Soames MP, co-chairmen of the Cross-Party Group on Balanced Migration, said the council house: “The proportion of social housing going to non-British nationals continues to increase.

“This nationwide figure of one in ten disguises local variations where the impact has been much higher. A stronger priority for social housing should be given to long-standing local residents.”

A Local Government Association spokesman said: “It is in everyone’s interest to remove unnecessary barriers which prevent homes being made available to those people who desperately need them.

“Councils are keen to play their part in this and could go further and faster to support the development of badly needed new homes if Government gave councils greater financial flexibility.”

Housing Minister Brandon Lewis said that the figures would fall next year after new measures introduced by the Government.

He said: “These figures do not take account of the new guidance we’ve put in place to ensure councils are completely clear about who they have given social homes to, so communities can be confident they are not losing out.

“For years families suffered the blatant unfairness of watching as people with no job or connection to the local area were given council homes. Under this Government new rules make crystal clear that local people and members of the Armed Forces are at the front of the queue for council homes in their area.

“As a result, I expect next year’s figures to change as councils put these rules into practice.”

Anyone with direct experience of this?

HOLA442
HOLA443

“As a result, I expect next year’s figures to change as councils put these rules into practice.”

"Next year's figures to change" - so that'll be the year after the general election. Not so long ago they would have said anything like that was contrary to eu law - it might well still be if they get re-elected.

Housing Minister Brandon Lewis said that the figures would fall next year after new measures introduced by the Government.

He said: “These figures do not take account of the new guidance we’ve put in place to ensure councils are completely clear about who they have given social homes to, so communities can be confident they are not losing out.

“For years families suffered the blatant unfairness of watching as people with no job or connection to the local area were given council homes. Under this Government new rules make crystal clear that local people and members of the Armed Forces are at the front of the queue for council homes in their area.

You would think they only got back into power a couple of months ago. They must think people were born yesterday.

HOLA444
HOLA445

If 27000 is 1 in 10, does that really mean we only have 270000 council houses left?

Incredibly depressing.

The real story here is "foreign landlords pocket billions in housing benefit after government sell off of housing stock".

Saw this and did question whether we had council housing anymore. What is left has been transferred to Housing Associations.

The real scandal is housing benefit. What has been gained by the Council House sell off? What has been gained by so much immigration?

HOLA446
HOLA447

Vote UKIP...it's the only option. Any other vote and you may as well kiss this country goodbye.

Oddly I was thinking something similar. If everyone votes for UKIP we can kiss the country goodbye. One of two seats fine, a government majority.. eep. I should add that the lib/lab/con isn't really a great choice either at the moment.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yes I'm looking forward to the prospect of a drunken racist being PM.

I don't see any indication that Farage is a drunk.

As for racism, if you pop along to the Harvard University website linked to below, and take the test, you'll find that you are just as racist as those who openly say so, but are simply better at disguising it. Racism is a perfectly natural reaction, whether we find it acceptable to admit or not.

What is becoming increasing irritating, though, is the constant portrayal of Farage, by the MSM and others, as something that he is not. It is not racist to be concerned about immigration.

It's also irritating to see him constantly accused of trying to sell off the NHS, despite his MP voting against this measure, because of an idea he once had. Harriet Harperson once had an idea that paedophilia should be encouraged. Yet we don't hear the entire Labour party whitewashed by this, do we?

I shan't be voting UKIP. However, i am absolutely sick of the circus. It is, frankly, not like the early rise of the Nazi Party, where misinformation was spread to target groups who were undesirable.

Anyway, here is the test. Be assured that if you claim to not be a racist, you are very probably lying, since research to date shows that the vast majority of people are. My sister, for example, who is one of those irritating guardianistas who would seriously accuse of racism if you bought white bread, refuses to share her result.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/uk/selectatest.jsp

HOLA4411

Yes I'm looking forward to the prospect of a drunken racist being PM.

I'd say your wrong on this, just look at his party...also he does NOT allow anyone from the BDP (a breakaway group from the National Front)

Folks are sick with whats going on in the UK, emigration needs to be controlled and it is NOT being implemented by these PRI*KS in power, thats why Farage is so popular...AND you can forget the MEGA DI*Khead Miliband - it was under his postion during last labour that you have the current mess!

HOLA4412

Telegraph 16/12/14

'Nearly one in 10 council houses is occupied by a foreigner, according to official figures.

The proportion of council houses occupied by British tenants has now fallen from 94 per cent in the final year of the last Labour Government to just 91 per cent.

The figures mean that occupation of council houses by foreigners in England is now at its highest level since at least 2006/7, with 27,000 homes lived in by foreigners.

The figures also show that the number of homes occupied by Eastern Europeans had doubled since the Coalition was formed in 2010 to four percent.

The department said: “A factor in this could be that since 2008/9, the list of A8 countries has expanded to include Bulgaria and Romania.”

The way subsidised homes have been going to foreign citizens and not to families with long-standing local connections has become politically sensitive as immigration hits record levels.

Frank Field MP and Sir Nicholas Soames MP, co-chairmen of the Cross-Party Group on Balanced Migration, said the council house: “The proportion of social housing going to non-British nationals continues to increase.

“This nationwide figure of one in ten disguises local variations where the impact has been much higher. A stronger priority for social housing should be given to long-standing local residents.”

A Local Government Association spokesman said: “It is in everyone’s interest to remove unnecessary barriers which prevent homes being made available to those people who desperately need them.

“Councils are keen to play their part in this and could go further and faster to support the development of badly needed new homes if Government gave councils greater financial flexibility.”

Anyone with direct experience of this?

Yes I know loads of immigrants who have got council housing. To be fair immigrants I know who work don't claim benefits etc seem to have the same amount of problems getting a council house as if they were British. It is only the lazy ones who get given free housing.

BTW when they say foreigner do they mean someone who doesn't have British citizenship or someone who was born a foreign citizen and now may or may not have British citizenship - there would a big difference in the figures depending on the definition. I would guess that if the second then the figures would be a lot higher. It is quite easy to get British citizenship here.

HOLA4413

Anyway, here is the test. Be assured that if you claim to not be a racist, you are very probably lying, since research to date shows that the vast majority of people are. My sister, for example, who is one of those irritating guardianistas who would seriously accuse of racism if you bought white bread, refuses to share her result.

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/uk/selectatest.jsp

I looked at the test but the questions seemed biased.

HOLA4414

when they say foreigner do they mean someone who doesn't have British citizenship

They will mean people who do not have British citizenship.

I wonder how easy it would be for a Brit to get a council house in Bucharest or Berlin, say?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

So, in this area there are 120 houses, one black family and one Indian woman. The rest are chancers and white van men.....and white people. (and the wife who`s a north east Asian)

Btw I`m a council dweller.

I support UKIP and would like to see the UK population kept at 63 million or less.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

So, in this area there are 120 houses, one black family and one Indian woman. The rest are chancers and white van men.....and white people. (and the wife who`s a north east Asian)

Btw I`m a council dweller.

I support UKIP and would like to see the UK population kept at 63 million or less.

43 million would be even nicer.

Archived