House Price Crash Forum

Warm Weather Stops People From Buying Winter Clothes

HOLA441

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-23/u-k-retail-sales-fall-more-than-forecast-as-clothing-drops.html

U.K. retail sales fell more than economists forecast in September as warm weather led shoppers to delay purchases of autumn and winter clothing.

The volume of sales including auto fuel fell 0.3 percent from August, with clothing and footwear sales dropping 7.8 percent, the most since April 2012, the Office for National Statistics said in London today. Economists forecast a 0.1 percent decline, according to the median of 18 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey. Sales excluding fuel also declined 0.3 percent.

While employment has increased, weak wage growth is limiting households’ spending power. As retailers compete for business, many are cutting prices, and today’s report showed that shop prices fell by 1.4 percent in September from a year earlier, the most since July 2009. Tesco Plc Chief Executive Office Dave Lewis said today that trading conditions are “tough.”

Hilarious, I haven't bought any winter clothing because what I've bought over the past couple of years is good enough and I don't need to buy anything. The weather is fecking irrelevant to my purchase decisions.

Perhaps the consumer economy is now just too sensitive?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Second-hand reused quality clothes look as good, feel as good, and keep you just as warm.....anyway layering is all the fashion, layer up to necessary tog level.....do people buy new clothes because they are cold?.....more like because fashion or fit.....if it all fits and individuality and novelty is the fashion, why waste money on what you don't need, when better spending limited resources on things you do need. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA444
HOLA445

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-10-23/u-k-retail-sales-fall-more-than-forecast-as-clothing-drops.html

Hilarious, I haven't bought any winter clothing because what I've bought over the past couple of years is good enough and I don't need to buy anything. The weather is fecking irrelevant to my purchase decisions.

Because you are a bloke. Ladies tend to pay more attention to these things.

Me? The goretex jacket I've been wearing for the last 20 years will do another winter.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Sooner or later you will either work in retail or talk to someone that does.

Yes, sales fall when it's windy, rainy and snowing, because people don't like walking around in crappy weather or driving to places that they don't have to. Hell, most people won't even go to work when there's an inch of snow on the ground, so what makes you think they would go shopping for non essential items in similar weather ?

Yes people are triggered to buy clothes by how they feel. So if they go outside and feel cold, that reminds them they need a winter coat, and if they haven't got one then they go out and buy one.

It's not hilarious. It's ******** obvious, unless you have a complete inability to figure out how normal people think.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Yes, sales fall when it's windy, rainy and snowing, because people don't like walking around in crappy weather or driving to places that they don't have to. Hell, most people won't even go to work when there's an inch of snow on the ground, so what makes you think they would go shopping for non essential items in similar weather ?

Yes people are triggered to buy clothes by how they feel. So if they go outside and feel cold, that reminds them they need a winter coat, and if they haven't got one then they go out and buy one.

It's not hilarious. It's ******** obvious, unless you have a complete inability to figure out how normal people think.

Have people only just started thinking like this? I don't recall ever reading stories from retailers in the depression of the 20's/30's that sales failed to happen because it was windy,rainy, too warm, too cold, help there's snow. Retailers are sounding like Goldilocks, but the porridge is never right.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I'm sure most people do keep winter coats for say, 5 years. I doubt everyone is on the same five year cycle though, therefore some coats are replenished each year by say 20% of the population. So yes, these things will have an impact but it wont be the only reason sales are down.

As above its quite funny that the weather seems to be the only reason for poor sales, and that everyone seems to want to avoid the fact that disposable incomes are down. way down.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They may have a small point, if now was the start of an ice age then people would be desperate for warmer cloths.

Breaking: U.K. retail sales fell more than economists forecast in December as cold weather kept shoppers away from the high street in the latest round of retail figures announced by the ONS this morning.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

So they don`t go shopping in bad weather but when the weather is compatible with shopping they are not spending because it`s to warm ?

I fully understand the connection between inclement weather and falling sales in the retail industry but from my experience warm/good weather usually leads to increased sales not a fall

HOLA4418

Second-hand reused quality clothes look as good, feel as good, and keep you just as warm.....anyway layering is all the fashion, layer up to necessary tog level.....do people buy new clothes because they are cold?.....more like because fashion or fit.....if it all fits and individuality and novelty is the fashion, why waste money on what you don't need, when better spending limited resources on things you do need. ;)

Dearie me, Winkie - what about the new season's 'must-have' coat, or a few 'statement' pieces to jazz up last year"s look?

HOLA4419

Dearie me, Winkie - what about the new season's 'must-have' coat, or a few 'statement' pieces to jazz up last year"s look?

.....I wouldn't know what this seasons 'must have' coat looked like if it walked out in front of me.....could think of some jazzy bits, something at the back of the drawer bought a number of years ago....too be honest so much almost new clothing is recycled some stuff has never been worn, can be purchased for a few pounds, so therefore lost for choice. Save the money for doing something far more worthwhile. :)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

.....I wouldn't know what this seasons 'must have' coat looked like if it walked out in front of me.....could think of some jazzy bits, something at the back of the drawer bought a number of years ago....too be honest so much almost new clothing is recycled some stuff has never been worn, can be purchased for a few pounds, so therefore lost for choice. Save the money for doing something far more worthwhile. :)

Did you ever see that programme about recycling? Fat woman on a bicycle going around chivvying people into not wasting stuff. There was a wonderful gay couple gaily chucking everything out - she retrieved from their bin a virtually new jacket and had a massive go at them.

'But it's just SO last season!' said one of the blokes. Nevertheless those two turned into enthusiastic converts.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Just to add, the young folk I know and the ones I am noticing around seem much more interested in being "alternative" now shopping in oxfam, etsy etc I think its the whole hipster look that is in at the moment. Its a bit of a punk style rebellion against pointless consumption. They are doing it in everything like a cultural shift away from just buying shit all the time. Even the boy racers I know have moved away from spunking loads of money on rims and spoilers and are going rat style or grandad style. It is very "cool " at the moment to not spend and not try.

The only people I know who buy designer clothes now are what I call tragic dads. Blokes in there 40s desperately trying to appear young by wearing moschino pants, gel in there hair and fake tan.

I really hope young folk are rebelling against a culture that throws out perfectly good stuff, gives me some faith.

HOLA4425

What we need is a coat scrappage scheme.

At the start of 2012 I bought a couple of expensive coats/jackets...a wool Frederik Anderson coat and a thick Quick silver leather jacket from TK Max at £45 and £100 respectively..though the RRP was three time that. Both still look hardly worn despite quite a bit of use.

For some unknown reason I went and bought a winter coat from Debenhams after Christmas last year at half price, £100 ...but the quality turned out to be appalling.

Quality wins over time.

Edited by crashmonitor