Sign in to follow this  
Baxter Basics MP

Likes System

Would it be possible to have/enable a likes system on this board for indvidual posts? I'd like to 'Like' a post if I happen to like it, rather then post things like 'LOL', 'QFT' and/or '+1000'...etc.

Thanks

Baxter

SE10   

Would it be possible to have/enable a likes system on this board for indvidual posts? I'd like to 'Like' a post if I happen to like it, rather then post things like 'LOL', 'QFT' and/or '+1000'...etc.

Thanks

Baxter

+1... er, I mean like!

Ghostly   

I would like (see what I did there?) to see a like/dislike system too to get an idea of what other HPCers actually like to read on the forum. I suspect a lot of posts are just treated as background 'noise' despite appearing frequently.

Riedquat   

I would like (see what I did there?) to see a like/dislike system too to get an idea of what other HPCers actually like to read on the forum. I suspect a lot of posts are just treated as background 'noise' despite appearing frequently.

Having dislikes can mean things start to get unpleasant.

Having dislikes can mean things start to get unpleasant.

Good point and you've made my mind up. I'm strongly in favour of a dislike button. Less bothered about a like button though, to be honest.

Likes button please.

I feel inhibited from continually doing "+1" posts but there are many cracking posts that I would like to acknowledge.

The whole point of having 'likes' on sites like facebook and twitter is that they are used by the algorithm which determines how many people see a particular post in their timeline.

In a forum that doesnt really make sense, if a post is bad enough that it deserves to be hidden from a majority of visitors then it is probably bad enough that the mods will just delete it completely.

(Those algorithms are also why social sites seem to be full of viral Buzzfeed articles and cat videos, it's not that thats all that ever gets posted but the popular stuff gets pushed centre forward)

Ghostly   

Yes, but this isn't Facebook, it's a forum. Likes on a forum are useful for seeing what people like to read and tailoring your posts accordingly. I'd love to get more of a flavour of which posts people find useful.

Rave   

O.K. bumping this as I feel like I've had a brainwave...

Can we have a likes system where the likes are visible only to the person whose post has been liked? Then it doesn't become a competition, no forum members are artificially elevated in status because they have lots of likes under their profile, but people who consistently post useful/interesting/funny stuff get the dopamine hit of knowing their post was appreciated and are motivated to carry on interacting?

Dunno if that's even possible with the forum software, but IMO it should be.

mrtickle   

I would very much welcome a Like button too.

Often I agree with a post, but don't have anything very intelligent to add. I feel guilt just posting "yes" or "THIS!" or "+1". Also, I know it makes threads longer, harder to search, and wastes people's time reading my thanks-post.

A Like button would allow these to be recorded, without cluttering up the threads with "noise" posts like those.

Arpeggio   

On 5/14/2017 at 0:42 PM, mrtickle said:

I would very much welcome a Like button too.

Often I agree with a post, but don't have anything very intelligent to add. I feel guilt just posting "yes" or "THIS!" or "+1". Also, I know it makes threads longer, harder to search, and wastes people's time reading my thanks-post.

A Like button would allow these to be recorded, without cluttering up the threads with "noise" posts like those.

+1