House Price Crash Forum

Cambridge Rents - Stone Me - Do You Have Solid Gold Plumbing There?

HOLA441

My daughter might be getting an NMW job (well, an apprenticeship[1]) in Cambridge so we've been looking to find a pad for her.

Stone me. Looks like I'll be subbing her for some time to come.

[1] Better to learn a trade than spend £50k getting a bit of paper, IMO.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

To be fair, it’s not just the government or local council in this case. The colleges/university own masses of land in and around Cambridge and they are the ultimate rent seekers.

That's what happens when the government restrict the supply of homes for people to live in.

HOLA445

To be fair, it’s not just the government or local council in this case. The colleges/university own masses of land in and around Cambridge and they are the ultimate rent seekers.

The artificial scarcity in Cambridge is obscene. Within 90 seconds of leaving the train station heading south you're surrounded by green fields!

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

That's what makes it a nice place to live ;)

I've lived in the area pretty much all my life, and it was a lot nicer, and more affordable, 15 years back. Just as middle class, just as safe, just as much cultural stuff and you didnt have to compete with all of China and the Arab world to put a roof over your head.

This growth at any price, grow or die ethos, with these constant calls for Cambridge to be the best of XX isnt without cost.

HOLA449

I spent the first 19 years of my life there. The answer would have been to direct development away from the city and surrounding areas.

I still have a house in a nearby village. Its going on the market in the next week or two coinciding with a visit to the UK.

High house prices, appreciating sterling - looks a good opportunity to bail out ;)

HOLA4410

They are indeed filthy rich, but the colleges acknowledge that Cambridge is overpriced and that potential students and staff are shocked by the cost of living there. This is why they are building 1500 homes in the "Cambridge North-West Development" to look after their own. The rental cost will be 30% of the person's net income, according to the article.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4411
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412

Once you go 10+ miles north of Cambridge the rents are perfectly reasonable. Unlike central London where you are having to go 50 miles + to find sane rental prices.

Ten miles north of Cambridge does however put you in the middle of soggy nowhere, with the A10 as your primary route...

Ely isn't bad, but neither is it that cheap, as it is now well and truly Cambridge commuter belt.

HOLA4413

I spent the first 19 years of my life there. The answer would have been to direct development away from the city and surrounding areas.

I still have a house in a nearby village. Its going on the market in the next week or two coinciding with a visit to the UK.

High house prices, appreciating sterling - looks a good opportunity to bail out ;)

eh?

That's ALL they've done over the past few decades. Ely, Huntingdon, St neots seen their populations double. Cambridge broadly the same. Up a couple of thousand since the 2001 census due to more students, but very few additional homes.

The result. Daily traffic chaos. Millions of gallons of fuel wasted and Millions of hours of time every month.

Unless you mean non-residential development. But businesses want that Cambridge address, not Chatteris.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414

eh?

That's ALL they've done over the past few decades. Ely, Huntingdon, St neots seen their populations double. Cambridge broadly the same. Up a couple of thousand since the 2001 census due to more students, but very few additional homes.

The result. Daily traffic chaos. Millions of gallons of fuel wasted and Millions of hours of time every month.

Unless you mean non-residential development. But businesses want that Cambridge address, not Chatteris.

It's well-known that there is a commercial snobbery about relocating to Cambridge to get that address. It would have been farsighted to have dispersed the science parks across the entire length of the A14 between Huntingdon and BSE and spread the wealth across the region and reduce the commuting focus on Cambridge. The tacit policy seems to be: "we're happy with the congestion as long as the city is wealthy".

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4416
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4417
Guest TheBlueCat

Why? Can you utilize those green fields?

I suspect the real reason it's a nice place to live is that the poor and underclasses can't afford to live there.

As others have said, it was actually nicer before the housing boom. It's not all one way for the colleges either, they have to recruit staff too.