House Price Crash Forum

Death Duty Of 15% For Everbody To Pay Care Home Fees

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10998994/Labour-resurrects-plans-for-a-death-tax.html

I like this. The cheek of middle class families who expect to inherit estates tax free (currently £650,000) knows no bounds.

We have a two trillion deficit, each departing soul has taken on average a quarter of a million in excess welfare over their lifetime tax contributions. The average octogenarian costs the country £30,000 to support over their tax contributions. Yet when they die the estate all belongs to the family.

Ok it is meant as an insurance policy to pay for care and eliminates the lottery element. But death duties for everybody, about bloody time. why should we leave our grandkids burdened, except the fortunate few who inherit of course.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Hmm...so Gertrude dies in her £200k 2 up/2 down...and the family have to pay £30k tax on the estate. Does that mean they'll be forced to sell?

If so, would the legislation force up transaction volumes and force people to discount sharply instead of clinging on for "what it's worth"? Unintended consequences and all that...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Deeply regressive.

Wealth taxes need to be progressive and hit the weathly.

It's the Torygraph, and there's an election coming up so it's probably garbage anyway.

In any event 'care home fees' is a synonym for 'landlordism' since the vast bulk of the fees aren't for care but for the rent of the room/facilities.

Edited by R K

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

In principle, inheritance tax encourages older wealthy people to blow their money on frivolous entertainment, think hookers and blow. Without inheritance tax wealthy people will keep some money aside for their children. People primarily work for their families, not just themselves. If we had a free market economy then this inherited wealth will find it's way back into the economy as productive investment, new businesses, machines, factories, capital, that sort of thing.

Unfortunately, we don't have a free market economy. I know of a guy with three sons my age who sold his business for a pretty penny. To avoid death taxes, he quickly wrote out large cheques for all three. As you can imagine, all three are now heavily into buy to let.

personally I would like to see IHT at 100% and income tax at 0%.

But not until I inherit of course.

Maybe you mean't this as a joke, I'm not sure, but 100% inheritance tax would essentially force people to spend their money on useless c**p, shrinking the economy.

HOLA4420

How about scrap tax credits,scrap HB,scrap DLA and PIP and provide free care for everyone at the end of their lives.

Once again a smokescreen is used because no government dare tackle the mass working age welfare scam.Means testing got us here yet the left want more of it.Im left leaning but havent voted left for a long time.Not until they see that working age welfare is destroying this country.Pensions pushed back and all other efforts are because they darent tackle the real problem,mass working age handouts.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

As another poster said, there is almost no situation that is genuinely improved by increases in tax. The (properly) wealthy will avoid this and the large part of the burden will fall on normal people. The collected money will then be spunked up the wall. No-one wins, but some hard-of-thinkers are pleased that someone else appears to be getting hit for tax.

PAYE are the ones who should be rioting in the streets. If you weren't hit for tax, NI (both sides), VAT, excises, etc so hard during your working life it may be possible to save for your retirement and care.

I presume there will be the usual exemption for farms as if there isnt it is impossible for a farmer to leave a working farm to his son. This is the usual trick to avoid inheritance tax, just buy some forestry or farm land

HOLA4423

Yes give the government more money. Excellent idea!

How about the state stops providing care in old age and leave it upto the family to arrange care for their own, whether that be doing it themselves or paying some one else.

I take it you've never had to look after anyone with dementia.

We've had 3 people in care homes in this family - my FIL, an aunt and my mother - still in a CH at 96. All with dementia, all totally self funded, and far from resenting it, we have only been extremely thankful that we did not have to depend on social services, who typically will refuse 24/7 care even when family carers are desperate, close to collapse with stress and exhaustion.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's a fact that more and more people are living longer - too long in many cases - and cases of dementia are going to rise. Yet plenty of people who are in a pitiful, utterly undignified state of advanced dementia are still given umpteen pills and tablets daily - to keep them 'healthy' - to keep them going a bit longer, just because it's possible to do so. But for what, FGS?

HOLA4424

I take it you've never had to look after anyone with dementia.

We've had 3 people in care homes in this family - my FIL, an aunt and my mother - still in a CH at 96. All with dementia, all totally self funded, and far from resenting it, we have only been extremely thankful that we did not have to depend on social services, who typically will refuse 24/7 care even when family carers are desperate, close to collapse with stress and exhaustion.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's a fact that more and more people are living longer - too long in many cases - and cases of dementia are going to rise. Yet plenty of people who are in a pitiful, utterly undignified state of advanced dementia are still given umpteen pills and tablets daily - to keep them 'healthy' - to keep them going a bit longer, just because it's possible to do so. But for what, FGS?

Yes you do, living wills.

HOLA4425