House Price Crash Forum

Next Box-Set Series

DTMark

HOLA441

The thing I remember from watching The 100 was some blonde girl saying Bellamy all the time and every time I'd get distracted from the plot pondering the unfairness of David Bellamy being ostracised for calling BS on climate change.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
6 hours ago, DTMark said:

OK, I know it's probably just me that's fascinated by these things, but someone has mixed together one of the very best opening sequences and the one from "The 100"..

At the end of Season 2 of "The 100" now and I'll nudge it up to an 8.5 out of 10.

A recommendation. It's worth seeing.

I found the opposite. First episode was great, and a great setup for a show. Went downhill from there. Gave up at about third to last episode of season 2, just didn't care enough to even see the season finale.

HOLA443
On 12/03/2017 at 10:38 PM, ccc said:

Bronson has some serious grunting too. 

It's funny, I don't pay much attention to actors, and after watching the Bronson film I've seen him in other stuff, and not even recognised that it's the same actor. I did however immediately spot him channeling the "Bronson menace" persona in this. It's a good series, and it'll be interesting to see where he takes it 

HOLA444
On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, ccc said:

Glad your enjoying !!

Just finished Gomorra S1. Will order the DVD or Blu-Ray set of S1 and S2 since you have to pay for S2 on Amazon Prime - I might as well get the hard-copy version.

It's one the best series I've seen.

Beautifully shot and directed, stunning attention to detail and imagery - everything is perfect, brilliant acting, superb music (that theme is haunting), brutal and tragic. Really ramps up towards the end of the season.

I wouldn't give a 10/10 to many things, but this is one of them.

HOLA445
HOLA446
3 hours ago, DTMark said:

Just finished Gomorra S1. Will order the DVD or Blu-Ray set of S1 and S2 since you have to pay for S2 on Amazon Prime - I might as well get the hard-copy version.

It's one the best series I've seen.

Beautifully shot and directed, stunning attention to detail and imagery - everything is perfect, brilliant acting, superb music (that theme is haunting), brutal and tragic. Really ramps up towards the end of the season.

I wouldn't give a 10/10 to many things, but this is one of them.

I've got the boxset but abandoned midway through season 1, I think where he gets left in the sea. I might give it another go if it builds to a good season finale. Didn't like Peaky Blinders or Sopranos so think maybe the gangster genre's just not my cup of tea.

HOLA447

Watched Gomorra, was blown away by it and my wife loved it too. If i was to be a bit picky, Season 2 just failed to hold the dramatic intensity of Season 1

One series i havent seen mentioned here is "Justified" (apologies if it has)

We're on Season 6, have watched it every night for weeks and would say that me and Mrs Raindog think its the best crime series ever...better even than Sopranos, Wire, etc..

A bold claim i know....

It starts a little slow but the writing, characters and plots are just fantastic. Dark humour. Crazy Kentucky accents. Based on an Elmore Leonard story.

Each season has one main story but they all intertwined with new and old characters throughout the series.

"Fire in the hole!"

10/10

HOLA448

Yes season 2 isn't quite as top notch but it's pretty difficult to follow season 1. 

So the question is - without any spoilers - do you like Ciro or not ? 

I'm not sure !!:blink:

HOLA449

Ciro is cool, he's a stone killer but follows the code. We found the whole Gomorra thing quiet moving, drama by the bucketful 

Season 1 had a lot of stand out episodes and it does have a few in 2 but seemed to slightly lose its steam....might be just us tho.

Will watch it again one day  :-)

HOLA4410

Quote from Justified...its funnier read out loud by Raylan:

“Dear Lord, before we eat this meal we ask forgiveness for our sins, especially Boyd — who blew up a black church with a rocket launcher — and afterwards he shot his associate Jared Hale in the back of the head out on Tate’s Creek Bridge. Let the image of Jared’s brain matter on that windshield not dampen our appetites, but may the knowledge of Boyd’s past sins help guide these men. May this food provide them with all the nourishment they need. But, if it does not, may they find comfort in knowing that the United States Marshal Service is offering $50,000 dollars to any individual providing information that will put Boyd back in prison. Cash or check, we can make it out to them. Or to Jesus. Whoever they want. In your name, we pray. Amen.”

HOLA4411
35 minutes ago, raindog said:

One series i havent seen mentioned here is "Justified" (apologies if it has)

We're on Season 6, have watched it every night for weeks and would say that me and Mrs Raindog think its the best crime series ever...better even than Sopranos, Wire, etc..

A bold claim i know....

It starts a little slow but the writing, characters and plots are just fantastic. Dark humour. Crazy Kentucky accents. Based on an Elmore Leonard story.

Each season has one main story but they all intertwined with new and old characters throughout the series.

"Fire in the hole!"

10/10

It's good but it always leaves me wanting fried chicken and whisky.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
17 hours ago, ccc said:

Yes season 2 isn't quite as top notch but it's pretty difficult to follow season 1. 

So the question is - without any spoilers - do you like Ciro or not ? 

I'm not sure !!:blink:

I don't think any of the characters are what I'd call "likeable". Most of them are fairly tragic.

Ciro is the smartest and most calculating and has - possibly apart from Don Pietro - the greatest grasp of human nature and psychology, is good at leading others, and plays his hand the best, knowing when to bide his time and when to strike.

Which are, I would guess, the credentials you need to survive and thrive in that world.

HOLA4414
On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 8:05 AM, Hail the Tripod said:

I found the opposite. First episode was great, and a great setup for a show. Went downhill from there. Gave up at about third to last episode of season 2, just didn't care enough to even see the season finale.

[The 100]

I thought S2 was fantastic and much better than S1.

The two have full continuity - S2 starting right where S1 left off. The story evolves as the various loose ends are tied up, S1 with a good finale, then building throughout S2 to where you know it's going. Keeps you interested. Or should I say kept me interested.

And now to S3.

This is set about 3 months later. We're only 3 episodes in but it seems to be suffering "The Walking Dead" syndrome. "Hmm. Where to take this now?"

Bizarre dialogue, actors struggling with it, little bits of sort-of-incidental but actually-explaining-the-plot-to-the-audience style scenes, not really believable..

I think it might be a 2-season show and we'll stop shortly unless it picks up quite rapidly. I fear it has become a soap-opera.

HOLA4415

Prompted by the discussion here, I watched the first episode of the 100. Didn't particularly grab me I'm afraid. Looks cheap, acting indifferent, premise is OK for a young adult series (Lost mixed with Hungergames) and the characters pretty identikit. 

Does it really get better? 

(I bailed from Walking Dead before the end of the first series). 

HOLA4416

S1 is "awkward", seems "rushed" in places, lacking anything particularly brilliant, misses opportunities to really shine and the characters are not really very engaging.

It does have that "Swallows and Amazons" angle of exploring somewhere new (I use the analogy because that involved children), but unlike "Lost", which seemed to involve setting up all manner of possibilities and mysteries which were never credibly resolved or were just left to fall away, this does have a sense of progression. But that doesn't really develop until the end of S1.

In S2 the characters develop, yes, Bellamy does become irritating but I didn't mind him so much as others, and I found it - if not exactly thrilling or a masterpiece - entertaining to watch.

Archived