DTMark

Next Box-Set Series

DTMark   

We'll need something to watch soon.

We tend to buy box-sets and work through them.

We had a thing for crime dramas so did "Marple" (9/10), "Poirot" (10/10), "Cracker" (9/10 only because the last couple of episodes were weak) and "Morse" (7.5/10). All very good.

Tried "The Sopranos" and gave up after the first episode. Just not me, no interest.

"Breaking Bad" - very entertaining, 9/10.

"The X Files" - absolutely superb. (Has same creative director/writer as The X Files, Vince Gilligan) - 10/10

"Game of Thrones" - got as far as episode 4. I expected it to be lavishly shot and lovely to look at and it is those things. But my God, it's boring. It's like reading something by Jane Austen. I'm sure it eventually shapes up into something epic but my attention span won't stretch to it.

We're near to finishing "Fringe" which is the current one, basically JJ Abrams' take on "The X Files" and a very pale imitation - sorry, the show invites that inevitable comparison - actually in its own right it's mostly competent, but also a very mixed bag. Picks up in Season 4 (of 5) which is where we are now.

What's next?

House of Cards - both British and US versions would be a good choice.

If you like those then perhaps The West Wing, or even Boss.

If you've not tried The Wire then that might be worth a go (although it's a fairly slow burner). As might be the first five seasons or so of CSI or Dexter.

The Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes also have to worth trying too.

Ghostly   

Don't know if you've been watching Fargo on channel 4 but that might be worth catching up on. People have been saying on Twitter that it's a bit like 'breaking bad' in terms of tone (not seen it myself).

Heard good things about True Detective but also haven't seen it myself.

I agree with The Killing and if you like Scandinavian detective series there's also The Bridge series 1 and 2 which I thought was better, as it seemed less drawn out. I've also really enjoyed the last few series of Justified which are based off Elmore Leonard's Raylan GIvens books.

DTMark   

Thanks for the tips - when lots of people recommend the same thing(s) you know you're onto a winner.

buckers, so sorry to hear that news. You may have mentioned it before, but I missed it. My best wishes and thoughts for both of you at this time, and I'm glad she's loving that series - it was superb.

DTMark   

I knew from the outset that "The Sopranos" wasn't for me - just not really into gangster/mob type things, I remember a film called "Analyse This" from years back which was not dissimilar and not liking that much while all my mates thought it was great.

"Game of Thrones" does have an absolutely stunning title sequence. I'm sure it does "go somewhere" and it takes a while to build up to that, and I know I'm in a minority here since everyone raves about it. But then I've never been into "fantasy" very much, and find the "Lord of the Rings" films - highly acclaimed - even more boring to watch than Harry Potter. It all *looks* nice but needs shortening drastically so that the narrative and plot aren't lost.

I seem to recall that "The Sopranos" is one of if not the highest rated TV series of all time.

Darkman   

Tinker tailor

If there's anyone who hasn't seen the BBC adaptions of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People, then they have to do so immediately :)

ccc   

If there's anyone who hasn't seen the BBC adaptions of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Smiley's People, then they have to do so immediately :)

Watched it again recently - top quality.

Is Smiley's people as good ?

ccc   

Check out Saxondale (comedy, but not a sitcom) - probably need to be a coogan fan. Worth it just for the opening scene of each episode at the Adult Education Centre.

House of Cards (both original and the excellent US adaptation)

Breaking Bad (still ploughing through them, keeps getting better and better). These are so good my terminally ill wife is worried that she won't get to see the S7 finale (I kid you not)

I am not a doctor - however I do have good news for you. There are only 5 series :)

Not mentioned yet (I don’t think!)

• Rome
  • Spartacus
  • Homeland
  • Generation Kill
  • Dexter

Already mentioned:

• The Wire
  • True Detective
  • House of Cards
  • Breaking Bad

I agree with you on GoT – in so much as it is slow. But it is worth sticking with. As for LOTR – that is slow and super boring. A GoT season usually has 4 or 5 plot setters then 4 or 5 epic hours, well worth the discipline. With Soprano’s I couldn’t get past season 2… Looks and feels old and slow now against the competition mentioned above.

No excuse for not liking the Sopranos or Game of Thrones. There really isn't.

Loved the first two series of the Sopranos, down hill rapidly after that.

Have never seen anything of Game of Thrones, but everything that I hear about it, tells me that I would hate it, so not going to even bother :lol:

MrPin   

Loved the first two series of the Sopranos, down hill rapidly after that.

Have never seen anything of Game of Thrones, but everything that I hear about it, tells me that I would hate it, so not going to even bother :lol:

The early series of the Sopranos were the best! I have the whole boxed set! Also have a car like Pauli Walnuts had! Except it's not beige!

Game of Thrones might be another whole boxed set purchase! What I've seen so far was better than I thought it would be!

Tankus   

Fargo is good , very funny and dark in places

Band of brothers

Spielburgs taken

Battlestar Galactica.. all of it

SNACR   

Game of Thrones is seriously good - it's the only telly series I watch without simultaneously doing something on a computer, and that's not just because there's a lot of characters and plotlines to keep track of. I would say GOT and Breaking Bad overshadow any Hollywood movie output of the last ten years, although movies seem to be in a woeful slump of universal awfulness. I even think people are starting to finally realise Christopher Nolan's stuff is in fact bolllocks.

The most recent GOT did slip into using elephants in pitched battles which post LOTR seems to be a fantasy genre cliche (GOT is much less Pixie based than LOTR and I also think it's very slyly allegorical.)

Only two standout must see boxset type things I've abandoned/not got into have been Sopranos, The Wire & CSI. Controversially I prefer the US version of The Killing.

Other things worth a try are The Good Wife and, if you liked the Terminator films, The Sarah Connor chronicles.

Edited by SNACR