House Price Crash Forum

Buying Or Renting Land For Self Build- Any Tips ?

HOLA441

As per title.

My brief web searches to find land for rent or sale have been futile.

As mentioned elsewhere on the SB forum, I can afford more for the land, when saving on the build, but hardly any land appears for sale, not even at a silly price.

Any ideas ?

I'm wondering if land banks owned by big corps / orgs, that is waiting for planning permission / finance, would be leased out for temp live / work buildings.

These could be removed when they want to build

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

• 4 months later...
HOLA442

I am a self builder who finshed building on their plot last year.

I just had a look on rightmove for my county and there are loads of sites. As I live in the north I thought to be fair I would try Surrey too and there seems to be lots and lots there too. Supermarkets hold quite a bit and builders hold a land bank of 3 - 4 years worth which is sensible as if they run out of land their business falls over. However they tend to be very large sites rather than single or double plots and they don't really impact the self builder as far as I can see.

In my experience 45% on the land 55% on the build - that is in the north - it is probably more like 50 50 in the south east.

If you are looking in London then you need to be very creative - or move away from London - I cannot stand the place.

Another thing to do is look at run down or derilict property - the cost of clearing the sight will be mostly offset by the savings on utilities and access - its all there already which is a significant saving and removal of worry.

60's bungalows are great as they tend to be on larger plots and can be in a dreadful state where someone has had them since the 70's and has not carried out much work since.

Top tip - don't buy the land cash and then try and get the mortgage for the build. Lenders don't seem to understand the concept that you own the site and their starting point is you have a low or no deposit for the build. Get the mortgage to cover the site and the build.

Edited by AndyAndy

• 4 months later...
HOLA443

I am a self builder who finshed building on their plot last year.

I just had a look on rightmove for my county and there are loads of sites. As I live in the north I thought to be fair I would try Surrey too and there seems to be lots and lots there too. Supermarkets hold quite a bit and builders hold a land bank of 3 - 4 years worth which is sensible as if they run out of land their business falls over. However they tend to be very large sites rather than single or double plots and they don't really impact the self builder as far as I can see.

In my experience 45% on the land 55% on the build - that is in the north - it is probably more like 50 50 in the south east.

If you are looking in London then you need to be very creative - or move away from London - I cannot stand the place.

Another thing to do is look at run down or derilict property - the cost of clearing the sight will be mostly offset by the savings on utilities and access - its all there already which is a significant saving and removal of worry.

60's bungalows are great as they tend to be on larger plots and can be in a dreadful state where someone has had them since the 70's and has not carried out much work since.

Top tip - don't buy the land cash and then try and get the mortgage for the build. Lenders don't seem to understand the concept that you own the site and their starting point is you have a low or no deposit for the build. Get the mortgage to cover the site and the build.

Thanks for the reply & info Andy, sorry for not replying earlier.

I've decided its not worth attempting to get into debt, to pay for what is most likely still over priced land.

Instead, I have decided to research renting land to self build a single storey, converted shipping container building.

I've come back to a container as it avoids a lot of structural / design issues with building a wood framed building, that I considered earlier. Sips panels came a close second , but the movability of a container if I want a change in location wins out.

Unfortunately , there appears virtually nothing on advice for renting land. In fact, one of the highest results in a google search for "renting land for self build" is this very thread!

Just a thought, but while land for sale for self building, such as advertised here .

Presumably, this may take months or years to sell, so why not put a temporary container home or tiny home on wheels ? it can easily be moved if land sells within 2 months, which is no worse than renting.

Perhaps a try before you buy system could be introduced, as after trying you may not want to buy, alternatively while renting , others may visit, like it & buy

HOLA444

I would personally look at land with no planing permission with it but research very carefully the possibility of obtaining planing permission

Your interest in container homes is a bonus when looking in to the likelihood of obtaining planing permission as there are many floor plans/ designs on the web that you could submit/inquirer about the possibility of off gaining planing permission on the plot of land that you may be interested in before committing to the purchase of the plot

Also i have read for the second time planing permission may not be required,the first time i came across this statement was on the build a container home for $2000 thread on here ,the link in the OP has a comments section where a guy called Alan from Shefield claimed it was the case, but i found similar here (half way down the front page) http://www.container-housing.co.uk/ but there`s no context to whether this is just for temporary accommodation

Edited by long time lurking

• 1 year later...
HOLA445

I bought a cottage in a very nice East Suffolk village. The owners had died and it was being sold by the family. He had run a car repair business in a very substantial double garage bedside the cottage that effectively occupied around twelve metres of the frontage. I have now gained consent for a 3 bed detached chalet style cottage on the plot that measures about 14m x 23m, it has cost me £2000 for architect and application fees.

• 1 month later...
HOLA446

I bought a cottage in a very nice East Suffolk village. The owners had died and it was being sold by the family. He had run a car repair business in a very substantial double garage bedside the cottage that effectively occupied around twelve metres of the frontage. I have now gained consent for a 3 bed detached chalet style cottage on the plot that measures about 14m x 23m, it has cost me £2000 for architect and application fees.

Cheers for the info. £2k seems cheap for the fees

HOLA447

If you can set up a CLT or community land Trust then you can approach the local council to ask for land to the council own and put a case for it being put to self-build use. You can also go to owners of land which is greenbelt and will never get planning permission which is called a rural exception site and put a case for that to be given planning permission on the basis of a self build or affordable housing allocation. this is what I am doing in Hampshire. 11 people are looking to build on greenbelt land with the council's permission to allow planning

HOLA448
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA449

hi Hp72.... I'd be very interested to join or hear about your group, I've been trying to find a plot for literally years!

Thanks.

If you can set up a CLT or community land Trust then you can approach the local council to ask for land to the council own and put a case for it being put to self-build use. You can also go to owners of land which is greenbelt and will never get planning permission which is called a rural exception site and put a case for that to be given planning permission on the basis of a self build or affordable housing allocation. this is what I am doing in Hampshire. 11 people are looking to build on greenbelt land with the council's permission to allow planning

may be of interest

The Community Land Trust Handbook pdf

http://www.carnegieuktrust.org.uk/getattachment/36205120-cb79-4fbc-847a-cb07f7830f1e/Community-Land-Trust-Handbook.aspx

HOLA4410

Sorry for not replying earlier.

CLTs are generally set up in your local area.

If you can keep your eyes open while travelling around your area and you can identify disused council land or maybe church land then the clt can approach the council to ask for assessment 4 permission to use it for local housing.

There are several hundred CLTs around the UK.

The project we are involved in is for affordable homes for people with local connections to prevent the Londoners from coming down and snapping up the homes with hpi gains.

Still very early days for us yet. We are finding our feet but as we learn more I'll see what I can feed back to the forums.

P.m. me with your rough geographical location.

Hp

HOLA4411

Hi the clt formation in our example is very early days so I can't really give you more details as we are finding our way. In our case (and with the many other CLTs) the CLT plots ( and subsequent new home) are covenanted to be only purchasable by people who are local to prevent outsiders fuelled by HPI coming from London and snapping up the properties.

That's what typically happens around here hence a 5 bed house typically being more than £850k.

P.m. me your rough location and I will let you know the area.

• 5 months later...
HOLA4412
On 15/04/2016 at 9:13 AM, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Updated link to The Community Land Trust Handbook pdf

http://www.carnegieuktrust.org.uk/carnegieuktrust/wp-content/uploads/sites/64/2016/02/pub1455011611.pdf

HOLA4413
On 18/04/2016 at 6:22 AM, hp72 said:

Sorry for not replying earlier.

CLTs are generally set up in your local area.

If you can keep your eyes open while travelling around your area and you can identify disused council land or maybe church land then the clt can approach the council to ask for assessment 4 permission to use it for local housing.

There are several hundred CLTs around the UK.

The project we are involved in is for affordable homes for people with local connections to prevent the Londoners from coming down and snapping up the homes with hpi gains.

Still very early days for us yet. We are finding our feet but as we learn more I'll see what I can feed back to the forums.

P.m. me with your rough geographical location.

Hp

Cheers, will do