Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Si1

Buying A House As A Cure For Clinical Depression

7 posts in this topic

I don't want to berate what an awful condition clinical depression is, however the following prose rather surprised me, i mean, how on earth...???:

http://www.guardian....bout-depression

This time round there was a lot of sleeping, very low mood and I didn't want to talk to anyone or see anyone. There was self-harm and cutting. That led to three years of not being able to work, being on benefits, constantly ill, four hospital admissions, an absolute three-year hell. Nothing seemed to work. I was tried on a million different medications. I had a therapist who was doing cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). It didn't work.

In 2006, I stabilised. The turning point was finding the right combination of medication to make me stable enough to do the things that are good for me. I bought my own place, cut down on drinking, started seeing people and not isolating myself so much, and making the decision that I wanted to get better.

I took on a part-time job in a bar, moved back to Mum and Dad's, then moved to Maidenhead in Berkshire. I found I could do it, quickly went full-time, started enjoying my life, went a bit crazy, did all the things I should have done when I was 18.

Edited by Si1

I don't want to berate what an awful condition clinical depression is, however the following prose rather surprised me, i mean, how on earth...???:

http://www.guardian....bout-depression

To be fair, the way I read that the turning point was right combo of meds.

Nice to know however that a chronic depressive with a part time bar job could afford to buy in 2006. That DLA payment really isn't to be sniffed at.

P

Lots of people need roots to feel happy and content. Buying a house helps people put those roots down. Allows them to settle.

Says they moved back to Mum and Dads in last paragraph. Maybe BTL cured their depression.

To be fair, the way I read that the turning point was right combo of meds.

Nice to know however that a chronic depressive with a part time bar job could afford to buy in 2006. That DLA payment really isn't to be sniffed at.

P

Could be more to do with sub-prime money lent into pork futures warehouse existence by Northern Rock or HBoS and subsequently queezed into partial existence.

Lots of people need roots to feel happy and content. Buying a house helps people put those roots down. Allows them to settle.

There is that, but the continual DIY can get you down! :huh:

I wonder how the MSM will handle the impact on mental health of the millions who at the mo can only just afford their housing.

The NHS will need to get ready for a tsunami of depression when rates nudge back up to more normal levels.