Latest Changes To Mortgage Rate Deals

HOLA441
  • Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Another added mortgage cost being introduced from January is the compulsory charging for all mortgage advice.

So when you walk into your high street bank and ask for the mortgage you've seen on the price comparison site, you will soon have to pay an additional mandatory charge for the "advice" you receive.

Bought to you by your best buddies at the FSA..

Linky

Edited by libspero

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

The BoE has updated its database with quoted market interest rates for October 2012.

This is the chart I last posted three months ago. It shows that fixed 2-yr and 5-yr rates have come down recently (presumably due to FLS), but the average SVR continues to creep upwards, now standing at 4.35%.

MortgageRatesOct2012.gif

HOLA4410

Thanks FT - is that exactly 75% LTV, or 75% and below?

Do you have a link to the source of the data's methodology?

The BoE has updated its database with quoted market interest rates for October 2012.

This is the chart I last posted three months ago. It shows that fixed 2-yr and 5-yr rates have come down recently (presumably due to FLS), but the average SVR continues to creep upwards, now standing at 4.35%.

MortgageRatesOct2012.gif

HOLA4411

MortgageRatesOct2012.gif

Presumably 10 year fixed are still too rare to be charted, and the FLS is not motivating banks to offer them, at similarly low rates.

Do you think the FLS will eventually incentivise banks to offer more and cheaper 10 year fixed? Or the FLS' design is tilted to the short term? Weird if it is, as IIRC some time ago Mervyn seemed keen on longer term fixed mortgages, as they offer greater stability, for both sides, lenders and borrowers, and consequently for the wider economy as well.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Presumably 10 year fixed are still too rare to be charted, and the FLS is not motivating banks to offer them, at similarly low rates.

Do you think the FLS will eventually incentivise banks to offer more and cheaper 10 year fixed? Or the FLS' design is tilted to the short term? Weird if it is, as IIRC some time ago Mervyn seemed keen on longer term fixed mortgages, as they offer greater stability, for both sides, lenders and borrowers, and consequently for the wider economy as well.

The BoE has a 10-year fixed 75% LTV series in its database, but it stopped updating it August 2009.

The FLS has to be short-term by design. This is because the method used to reduce banks' funding costs puts the government on very thin ice. The Treasury Bills loaned to the banks don't actually form part of official public debt - so we have these billions in govt promises being used as collateral in the wholesale markets, but they're not classed as state liabilities.

The European Commission came very close to insisting that we add the T-Bills to public debt when the Special Liquidity Scheme was operative (which worked in a similar manner to FLS), but the Commission backed off when a similar scheme was used in Greece (and Portugal as well IIRC).

It's the short-term nature of this liquidity support that allows the govt to get away with this. A ten-year facility (or beyond) would quite likely have to be consolidated into the public accounts.

I suppose one possibility would be to allow banks to securitise 10-year or 25-year fixed-rate mortgages (say) and the BoE would then buy them instead of gilts under QE. Who knows, maybe we'll see that in due course – nothing would really surprise me these days.

HOLA4414

The BoE has a 10-year fixed 75% LTV series in its database, but it stopped updating it August 2009.

The FLS has to be short-term by design. This is because the method used to reduce banks' funding costs puts the government on very thin ice. The Treasury Bills loaned to the banks don't actually form part of official public debt - so we have these billions in govt promises being used as collateral in the wholesale markets, but they're not classed as state liabilities.

The European Commission came very close to insisting that we add the T-Bills to public debt when the Special Liquidity Scheme was operative (which worked in a similar manner to FLS), but the Commission backed off when a similar scheme was used in Greece (and Portugal as well IIRC).

It's the short-term nature of this liquidity support that allows the govt to get away with this. A ten-year facility (or beyond) would quite likely have to be consolidated into the public accounts.

I suppose one possibility would be to allow banks to securitise 10-year or 25-year fixed-rate mortgages (say) and the BoE would then buy them instead of gilts under QE. Who knows, maybe we'll see that in due course – nothing would really surprise me these days.

Thank you again FT - impressive reply, very knowledgeable and clear. " Respec " ! :)

HOLA4415

That's got to come but Merv might be hoping he can slip away before then. I think it's what Turner was alluding to when it was reported as him suggesting a helicopter drop.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Direct securitisation.

You were describing the other day how you thought they would take a course of action and at that point you jump in too.

Can you remember which thread? Was it the OBR forecasts of HPI from 2014-2017?

I don't recall saying I would be jumping in to anything, though I do admit I had some 7.4% beer this week. (Shut up Winkie)

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Natwest now offering a 2.29% 60% LTV for existing customers moving home.

Fancy trading down to improve their books?

http://themortgagemeter.com/#/latest_changes

Meanwhile, 10 year fixed are still expensive. The best 75% LTV has an APR of 5.3%.

http://www.money.co.uk/mortgages/10-year-fixed-rate-mortgages.htm

Funding for lending is not helping here.

And since we can't know what will happen with inflation and IRs between 5 and 10 years time, I think it is very risky to buy without a 10 year fixed.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

HSBC now offering a 1.99% two year fix at 60%LTV. That's down 0.4%!

That and other changes here:

http://themortgageme.../latest_changes

lending is the answer to everything.

Greek Debt, Euro imbalance, house buying, paying for your food, bonuses and Government largess..

Its all possible with lending.