House Price Crash Forum

Moving To Ireland

HOLA441

Nice thread, thanks. Am very envious as we would love to move from the UK to Galway, but there is not the job market for my skills. I had a couple of interviews in Dublin and one of them materialised into a job offer, but the salary was such that it would be too much of a drop in standards of living for the family. I think we'll be here a long time yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Quick update:

1, It hasn't rained for a few days :rolleyes: Actually it has been quite dry here this year.

2, We haven't bought a house yet.

3, Jobs is still going well.

4, Looks like the economy is about where it was a year back.

5, The new repossession (LAND AND CONVEYANCING LAW REFORM BILL 2013) should be enacted by the summer.

6, Looks like the banks will need more capital from the ESM fund.

7, Bank stress tests are happening soon.

HOLA443

For those that are interested, there are still some relatively £160,000 cheap family houses coming to market here:

€180,000

MmEwYzBjNTU5NWEzNGNiZTdhMmVmMTZhODVhYWE5ODiSJ55KYVGRAVdHA5RM-VhMaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmRhZnQuaWUvcHJvcGVydHktaW1hZ2UvWUxhc3d4dGJZMDBscXVnU1V3VjJKb2hrZlhtbUpyVTktQVFhaEp0cV9xbHNQVGd3TUE9PS5qcGd8NjA5fHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZz92PTF8fHw=.jpg

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=718106

€207,000

ODAwMTY3ZjM5NjlhNTJiOGY4MjMwYzEwOTA1OTY2NWFPQg7nQJJ90Q33d9oFsopEaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmRhZnQuaWUvcHJvcGVydHktaW1hZ2UvLVNLaUM2Z1lGNnl1OFBrMnc2N0dDMzBlRFRJc0pfVXBCS1lKUXp3emxuTnNQVGd3TUE9PS5qcGd8NjA5fHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZz92PTF8fHw=.jpg

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=718088

€199,000

ZGQ3MGIyNjQxNTZkNWFhYjdjZTFmODM5MGViYmIwMjGqJ2QWoOfhC4wgp13Sec99aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmRhZnQuaWUvcHJvcGVydHktaW1hZ2UvdEI5N1hOQzhWaEpBQnN3TUd4NmZPdVItZ00xb012bklQN2pleDJ2WWFseHNQVGd3TUE9PS5qcGd8NjA5fHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZz92PTF8fHw=.jpg

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=718504

€200,000

YjE2OGY0NDRmNmRiNGY2Y2UwNzQ1Y2QwNDM5ZDE3MDEvyBoGM9_BI8NRgwXiKWTaaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmRhZnQuaWUvcHJvcGVydHktaW1hZ2UvaGFFM21XXzVjZVRKN2RXTFhtdXVQd0tSYUxGMUhDR1RwcF9LQzRKM1lZWnNQVGd3TUE9PS5qcGd8NjA5fHx8fHx8aHR0cDovL3d3dy5kYWZ0LmllL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZz92PTF8fHw=.jpg

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=718499

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I think you would be fine over here in the West. The company I work at there is quite a big mix of people from different areas of the world.

There are some areas of the west that have interesting demographics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gort#Demographics

I do find the Irish rather less hostile than the neighbors in the UK who don't speak a word to you in 5 years :huh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway#Demographics

Approximately 78% of the population of Galway is white Irish, descended from native Gaelic peoples and Norman settlers. A further 5% are foreign-born Irish.[28] Following an influx of immigrants to Galway during the 2000s, approximately 17% of the population is non-Irish.[28] Slightly more than half of this group are white Europeans, coming from Poland and other Central European and Baltic States, such as Latvia and Lithuania. Smaller numbers of Asian and African immigrants come from East Africa, Nigeria, Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka. In the 2006 Census, 15.4% of the population were aged 0–14, 76.1% were aged 15–64, and 8.5% were aged over 65. 51.9% of the population were female and 48.1% were male.[29]

I think the Chinese are rather more respected here than in the UK where the popular belief if that 'there are millions pouring in'. I didn't think you would find any or many Chinese areas or communities here in the west are there really aren't that many here.

HOLA4411

I think you would be fine over here in the West. The company I work at there is quite a big mix of people from different areas of the world.

There are some areas of the west that have interesting demographics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gort#Demographics

I do find the Irish rather less hostile than the neighbors in the UK who don't speak a word to you in 5 years :huh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway#Demographics

I think the Chinese are rather more respected here than in the UK where the popular belief if that 'there are millions pouring in'. I didn't think you would find any or many Chinese areas or communities here in the west are there really aren't that many here.

:D

• 8 months later...
HOLA4412

About 9 months since your last update.......

How's it going in Ireland?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

About 9 months since your last update.......

How's it going in Ireland?

I was made redundant at the end of December and my wife was given notive for the end of March. We decided to move back near here 'home town' in Somerset. If we hadn't have both been made redundant we would still be living there and looking to settle down.

The decision came down to close family and friends meaning more than a cheap property. I suppose it's summed up by 'home is where the heart is', we are now happily renting in Somerset and both working is reasonable jobs.

On a personal level I am not so chuffed at moving back here, but all in all it was a valuable and worthwhile life experience I will not regret.

I have learnt that I have to change my game a little and play the system in the UK rather than live by it.

HOLA4415

I have learnt that I have to change my game a little and play the system in the UK rather than live by it.

You're working in wealth management for a bank?

Joking aside, I commiserate with you, Wurzel, you got pretty unlucky to both be made redundant just before becoming eligible for the unemployment benefits. I found your updates on Galway area interesting and am sorry we won't see them any more.

HOLA4416

You're working in wealth management for a bank?

Joking aside, I commiserate with you, Wurzel, you got pretty unlucky to both be made redundant just before becoming eligible for the unemployment benefits. I found your updates on Galway area interesting and am sorry we won't see them any more.

Yeah, like wot he said.

And good luck!

HOLA4417
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4418
  • 6 years later...
HOLA4419

Strange, I thought property prices were high in Ireland, but maybe that's just around Dublin.

Started to read a book by Tana French, published 2020, The Searcher, and came across this passage set in western rural Ireland:

"He picked it off a website, on the basis that it came with some land, there was good fishing nearby, the roof looked sound...  The estate agents were asking thirty-five K. Cal offered thirty, cash. They about bit his hand off."

Is the author being honest here, or possibly out-of-date? Seems a very low price even for a rural property.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420
On 21/04/2022 at 18:08, Trampa501 said:

Strange, I thought property prices were high in Ireland, but maybe that's just around Dublin.

Started to read a book by Tana French, published 2020, The Searcher, and came across this passage set in western rural Ireland:

"He picked it off a website, on the basis that it came with some land, there was good fishing nearby, the roof looked sound...  The estate agents were asking thirty-five K. Cal offered thirty, cash. They about bit his hand off."

Is the author being honest here, or possibly out-of-date? Seems a very low price even for a rural property.

for that price you would get a small cottage probably with no running water, no electricity,  no broadband and probably an unmade road.  Look on Daft.ie  and you will see plenty of these.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423