Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Habeas Domus

New Police Strategy In New York

A few weeks ago I was with a few companions from Occupy Wall Street in Union Square when an old friend — I’ll call her Eileen — passed through, her hand in a cast.

“What happened to you?” I asked.

“Oh, this?” she held it up. “I was in Liberty Park on the 17th [the Six Month Anniversary of the Occupation]. When the cops were pushing us out the park, one of them yanked at my breast.

“Again?” someone said.

We had all been hearing stories like this. In fact, there had been continual reports of police officers groping women during the nightly evictions from Union Square itself over the previous two weeks.

“Yeah so I screamed at the guy, I said, ‘you grabbed my boob! what are you, some kind of ******ing pervert?’ So they took me behind the lines and broke my wrists.”

Arbitrary violence is nothing new. The apparently systematic use of sexual assault against women protestors is new. I’m not aware of any reports of police intentionally grabbing women’s breasts before March 17, but on March 17 there were numerous reported cases, and in later nightly evictions from Union Square, the practice became so systematic that at least one woman told me her breasts were grabbed by five different police officers on a single night (in one case, while another one was blowing kisses.) The tactic appeared so abruptly, is so obviously a violation of any sort of police protocol or standard of legality, that it is hard to imagine it is anything but an intentional policy.

For obvious reasons, most of the women who have been victims of such assaults have been hesitant to come forward. Suing the city is a miserable and time-consuming task and if a woman brings any charge involving sexual misconduct, they can expect to have their own history and reputations—no matter how obviously irrelevant—raked over the coals, usually causing immense damage to their personal and professional life.

Full article:

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2012/05/david-graeber-new-police-strategy-in-new-york-sexual-assault-against-peaceful-protestors.html

Video - Police Brutality by Zuccotti Park

So they took me behind the lines and broke my wrists.”

That's just sick, what kind of sadist phsycos does the NYPD employ? :angry:

AteMoose   

Its such a daft thing to do, politically its stupid. IMHO it sounds like a concerted effort by the campaigners to get media coverage. If you sex it up more people will be outraged/notice, wouldn't be difficult to arrange either. Get a number of women complaining at the same time. and you get into the media.

thod   

How do you push a woman back without touching her breast? I think we should see the size of her breasts before passing judgement.

I don't think the OWS protestors are just looking to get a bit of quick publicity and then hope everything will go 'back to normal', they see it as more of a long haul thing like greenham common.

The police are probably starting to realise this and are looking for ways to prevent it becoming a long term drain on police resources.

OWS seems to be extremely law abiding and peaceful (given the chance), quite a contrast with the protests in this country last year which just seemed to be a load of teenagers setting fire to stuff and nicking shoes out of JD Sports.