hotairmail

Do You Believe Aliens Live Amongst Us?

54 posts in this topic

I don't but do you think it's beyond the realms of possibility?

I'm genuinely interested in the David Icke type stuff, I'd like to go along with it but can't honestly see it.

I do now. I voted 'I am one' and it came up with 'No' :blink:

EDIT: I've entered another dimension - my vote has not counted at all.

Edited by hotairmail

i dont beleive aliens are living amongst us in a V or MIB way. but i do beleive that there are other intelligent life beyond our Solar System. have they visited Earth? probably not. But its a statistical impossibility that there wont be other planets inhabited by inteligent life.

I reckon they're under rather amongst us so technically I guess that's a no

You only have to look at the House of Lords to be certain. :)

Edit: typo.

Edited by Bossybabe

I do now. I voted 'I am one' and it came up with 'No' :blink:

EDIT: I've entered another dimension - my vote has not counted at all.

That's democracy for you.

Well we know that there are spies of other nations living among us without our knowledge, and our spies with them. So there is a purpose to be living among another faction. Plus it is a statistical likelihood of life being somewhere else in the universe. So then it comes down to believing a) do they carry out the same sort of reconnaissance that humans do and b ) is their technology able to sustain a journey here + support their living on our planet for extended periods of time.

Edited by Britney's Piers

I'm just interested.

BULLLLLL-SHIT!

You're just worried that we've sussed you out! :ph34r:

I'm not sure why they would need to.

Unless they are pratically omnipotent, the dangers of being discovered would probably be pretty serious (for them and for us).

If you wished to understand humans, you can orbit the earth in a cloaked satellite and tap the internet (or even do it remotely via some sort of spy satellite that beams data back to your home planet).

Earths gravity, atmosphere, biology is unlikely to be compatible with alien requirements. They are much more likely to interact with us from the comfort of their tentacle chairs than live amongst us.

They are much more likely to interact with us from the comfort of their tentacle chairs than live amongst us.

They have chairs for their balls???? Whoops! Should've gone to Specsavers!

They have chairs for their balls???? Whoops! Should've gone to Specsavers!

I hope you get the thrust of the argument though.

Why would they actually need to be here to get what they want from us ?

The question is a distraction. It's the way HAM and his fellow alien intelligences distract us from the real issues.

If you wished to understand humans, you can orbit the earth in a cloaked satellite and tap the internet

If you adjust for the lack of a cloaked satellite, you'll find I'm pretty much living proof of the contrary.

Assuming they could travel the vast distances involved, there's possibly an even bigger stumbling block, that they would look enough like us to blend in, or be able to eat our food, breath our air, etc.

The probability that life on another planet would have developed DNA, RNA, or our kinds of complex biological molecules is so small that we can simply forget it. They would have developed from a different origin, and have discovered different biological solutions to being alive. Their protein-like molecules, not our proteins. Their genetic code, not ours.

That means that whatever it looked like on the surface, what an alien was made of would be fundamentally different from what we are made of.

You couldn't cook up a thing that looked like a chicken and expect to eat it. Its meat would not be made of proteins like ours.

And of course, vice versa.

The vast majority of reported "Aliens" have a humanoid shape that is characterized by two legs, two arms and a head supporting the same organs of perception we have, in the same number and general appearance. Their speech uses the same frequency range as ours and their eyes are adapted to the same general segment of the electromagnetic spectrum. This indicates a genetic formulation that does not appear to differ from the human genome by more than a few percent.

Such an observation, if the entities were in fact the product of independent evolution on another planetary body as stated by the ETH, would stretch our understanding of biology. Humans share the unique combination of gravity, solar radiation, atmospheric density and chemical composition known on earth with an array of creatures closely related to us through evolution, yet deprived of legs and arms like the dolphins or endowed with multiple eyes like the spiders.

How, then, can we expect that extraterrestrial visitors from a completely different planetary environment would not only resemble us but breathe our air and walk normally on the earth?

So I vote no.

We're used to aliens in films and TV shows that look mostly human. This is more of a practical consideration than anything else. Not only are aliens unlikely to be members of Equity, but the studio canteen would not be set up for their special requirements.

I hope you get the thrust of the argument though.

Why would they actually need to be here to get what they want from us ?

The question is a distraction. It's the way HAM and his fellow alien intelligences distract us from the real issues.

Sorry for my flippancy.

Any alien intelligent enough to make craft that can cross light years of space would surely be advanced enough to conceal their existence on earth from its inhabitants.

Sorry for my flippancy.

Any alien intelligent enough to make craft that can cross light years of space would surely be advanced enough to conceal their existence on earth from its inhabitants.

Why ?

In terms of technology what is easy to do and what isn't ? You can't answer that until you've done it. Try asking someone in the middle ages, what is easier, to send a spaceraft to saturn to record photgraphs or to invent a transistor ? What sort of response would you get ?

And if their technology is so advanced, why would they need to be "here" ? Why not have a human like robot, or a human with its mind wiped and controlled by the alien from a different planet ? Would that classify as being here ?

And why would they want to be here ? One would hope with advanced technology you can come up with some pretty good ways of entertaining yourself. Why would you want to restrict yourself here when you could be playing alien games somewhere else ?

It's kind of a bit arrogant to assume that if aliens did exist they would be in any way interested in spending time here. Personally if I had a choice between flipping backwards in time to any point from now I probably would do occasionally for the novelty value. But I would spend most of my time here. Because it's nicer. And I'd probably prefer to have a kind of time control telly, so that if I wanted I could turn it on, and see say the Norman Conquest as it really was as an evenings entertainment. But actually being there ? Probably noisy, smelly, unpleasant and above all quite dangerous. Probably what most aliens would think about us.

It's kind of a bit arrogant to assume that if aliens did exist they would be in any way interested in spending time here.

They might be interested in us in the same way we might find a lost tribe in the Amazon interesting, or microbes on Mars.

Although that in itself is ascribing human motivations to beings that might think and act very differently to us.

I think earth history has shown that "advanced" civilisations meeting/mixing with the not so advanced ,doesn't end well for the latter. Also in a universe which is more or less infinite and from what we can tell so far is sparcely populated (if at all) I can't think what they would want from us, except perhaps to study us, in the same way we study animals and sea creatures.

They might be interested in us in the same way we might find a lost tribe in the Amazon interesting, or microbes on Mars.

Although that in itself is ascribing human motivations to beings that might think and act very differently to us.

I think any civilisation that has mastered a certain level of technology is likely to find us relatively uninteresting for the following reasons :

i) If there is anything interesting here then they can replicate it fairly easily.

ii) If the copernican principle holds then the solar system is not a special place. In fact there will be other places in the universe that have more resources than us. So they ain't going to come here to steal the gold.

iii) if there are two civilisations then there are more. What's the probability that we are the most interesting ones and the ones they want to spend time with ?

iv) They would proably be interested in looking at some things like music, art ways of thinking, maths etc. Even if they are far in advance, a new way of thinking could open up avenues they have overlooked. But all this stuff is downloadable over the net. They don't need to be here to get that.

Edit : In fact if they are going to go and seek people out, it will probably be people closer or ahead of them in terms of technology. Because they would have more in common and be more interesting.

Edited by Gigantic Purple Slug

I think earth history has shown that "advanced" civilisations meeting/mixing with the not so advanced ,doesn't end well for the latter. Also in a universe which is more or less infinite and from what we can tell so far is sparcely populated (if at all) I can't think what they would want from us, except perhaps to study us, in the same way we study animals and sea creatures.

I think though there is a bit of difference between earth civilisations meeting up when one is a few hundred years in advance and others meeting up when one is tens of thousands of years in advance as an alien civilisation may well be.

One would hope that by then they have learnt to ensure encounters are "successful".

One would hope that by then they have learnt to ensure encounters are "successful".

Getting to third base?

Kirk_and_shahna.jpg

"Now that's what I call a close encounter".

If any aliens think they can see intelligent life down here, well, I would call them optimistic, at best! :lol::blink: