House Price Crash Forum

'and This Is Me In Egypt' By Woman In £37K Benefit Fraud

eric pebble

HOLA441

'And this is me in Egypt' by woman in £37k benefit fraud

A woman cheated taxpayers out of more than £37,000 so she could go on foreign holidays and fund two homes.

Andrea Raftis, 24, told Sutton council she was a single mother, living alone with her children, aged three and four. But she was claiming thousands in income support, housing and council tax benefits while living with her husband who was supporting her.

See all here: -- http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/crime/and-this-is-me-in-egypt-by-woman-in-37k-benefit-fraud-7684237.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Of course - this is just the tip of the iceberg... :rolleyes:

AND --- What are the odds that she & her multiple pwoperty/BTL owning husband told a whole load of porkies - and thus took out some

MASSIVE LIAR LOANS

to fund their BTL Empire...??

1,000's more will be doing the same.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HOLA442
HOLA443

Eric: LIAR LOANS!!!!

Nationalist: Deport the husband, he sounds foreign!

Goldbug: Dug up the garden! The 37K will be buried as sovereigns!

TMT: I'd do her!

Now that some representative HPC debate has been had, let's ask ourselves some questions.

Why does the wife of a reasonably successful businessman (assumption I know) feel the need to indulge in benefit fraud? Is there a widespread perception that;

Everyone's at it.

It's acceptable.

It's Government money.

If I don't do it, someone else will.

I pay enough, it's owed to me.

HOLA444
HOLA445

A woman cheated taxpayers out of more than £37,000 so she could go on foreign holidays and fund two homes.

Andrea Raftis, 24, told Sutton council she was a single mother, living alone with her children, aged three and four. But she was claiming thousands in income support, housing and council tax benefits while living with her husband who was supporting her.

See all here: -- http://www.thisislon...ud-7684237.html

Now this is what I like to see, but somehow I doubt the money will be restored:

"Raftis, now living in New Malden, will be forced to pay back the money she stole and the judge warned the couple face losing one of their properties under the Proceeds of Crime Act. "

My suspicion is that this kind of fraud is rife in London. How else can ordinary people foot the cost of living there?

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I think you are confusing me with other HPCers. I do not like the look of that.

I thought there was a bit of Louise Mensch ( whom you do like) about her.

On topic, why do people think that government money comes from some magical place as opposed to their **** pocket in the form of taxes?

For the sake of discussion, please exclude QE money because;

1. It's chump change relative to total govt spending.

2. Inconveniently, it does come from some magical place.

HOLA4411

On topic, why do people think that government money comes from some magical place as opposed to their **** pocket in the form of taxes?

Because it does. It is is borrowed. The idea is that it comes from their childrens' and grandchildrens' pockets so they (the Boomers) could care less.

HOLA4412

See all here: -- http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/crime/and-this-is-me-in-egypt-by-woman-in-37k-benefit-fraud-7684237.html

-----------------------------------------------------

Of course - this is just the tip of the iceberg... :rolleyes:

AND --- What are the odds that she & her multiple pwoperty/BTL owning husband told a whole load of porkies - and thus took out some

MASSIVE LIAR LOANS

to fund their BTL Empire...??

1,000's more will be doing the same.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

...ha ..ha ..read this in the Sun at the hairdressers yesterday....normally would not touch the paper with a barge pole ...but the queue was long and not much else to read....but they have this section 'Beat the Cheat'...where readers are encouraged to report their suspicions to the HMRC and Sun who run stories on the outcomes...ES must have picked it up from there......thought this was a good idea from the Sun ...and is helping the community who pay tax and hit hard on these cheats....apparently cheating is an industry ....so ...go get them....and going forward I'll be checking on a good column in the Sun ..'Beat the Cheat' ....more of this please..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4413

The comments on the article make pretty frustrating reading too... for example:

Come on be honest. If you could cheat the system and get away with £37K you would , wouldn't you? Why not, everyone is on the fiddle as best they can these days. Ten to one you are have some scam going , reading this. If you have not-hard luck! Her mistake was that if you are going to be "at it" you must be clever about it and not ask to get caught.

HOLA4414

Indeed. There are some horrible comments on there - as usual whenever there are comments on news stories. Where do these people come from? I genuinely don't know anyone that talks/thinks like these people. Are they just trolls? Or do I only associate with nice people?

HOLA4415

Tesco?

Maldon Salt Mines > Dried > Packaged > Tesco

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Whats is sick is that if she was entitled to all that, if living alone.

What is sick is that the state actively penalize's couples living together, but single parents (well, lets be honest, single mothers) get a free pass.

I know several young 'single mothers' who are actually living with their partners (who work) without telling the state they are living together. Why? because ALL their benefits get withdrawn if they tell SS. And while the male's do work, there's no way they can afford to house the missus and the kid with current house prices and rents. Thats the only reason i don't grass . Its wrong, yes, but bearing in mind the fact of the fraud in the housing and mortgage markets is designed to penalize people like them from making their way in life in favour of BTL SCUM, i dont begrudge low earning couples from doing this.

Make ABSENT FATHERS pay the equivalent child tax benefit, child tax credit, income support, housing benefit, council tax benefit. If they dont. Throw them in jail. Its simple. You either pay for your children, or you work it off in a labour camp. Thats the only way to fix it. Get rid of the damn benefits system in its entirety, not just for married/couples.

Instead we have a benefits system that does its darndest to break up families.

Admittedly this woman seems to have more than a breadline amount of payments coming her way, and it appears is BTL SCUM herself, so throw the book at her.

HOLA4418

In one respect the commentator is correct. If this woman hadn't been such an utter moron as to boast about her fraud on Twitter, she almost certainly would have got away with it. More to the point, there are probably at least tens, if not hundreds of thousands of other fraudsters who have got and are getting away with it, because they understand that if you're engaging in chronic criminality, keeping a low profile while doing so drastically increases your chance of evading detection. As you say, it's depressing: thanks to getting on for two decades of MPs' expense troughing and other examples of immoral behaviour in public life, a great swathe of the public has decided if that they can't beat them, they'll try to join them.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I know several young 'single mothers' who are actually living with their partners (who work) without telling the state they are living together. Why? because ALL their benefits get withdrawn if they tell SS. And while the male's do work, there's no way they can afford to house the missus and the kid with current house prices and rents. Thats the only reason i don't grass . Its wrong, yes, but bearing in mind the fact of the fraud in the housing and mortgage markets is designed to penalize people like them from making their way in life in favour of BTL SCUM, i dont begrudge low earning couples from doing this.

Make ABSENT FATHERS pay the equivalent child tax benefit, child tax credit, income support, housing benefit, council tax benefit. If they dont. Throw them in jail. Its simple. You either pay for your children, or you work it off in a labour camp. Thats the only way to fix it. Get rid of the damn benefits system in its entirety, not just for married/couples.

Instead we have a benefits system that does its darndest to break up families.

Admittedly this woman seems to have more than a breadline amount of payments coming her way, and it appears is BTL SCUM herself, so throw the book at her.

This is so true. And when the social turn up at 6am to check the bloke "just stayed the night" and certainly doesn't live there. The working class male is forced into a ghost existence - he must not appear on paperwork or his "baby-mother" and children will become his financial responsibility, which he cannot afford.

The best way to mend the system is to say: no benefits for children born out of wedlock, and husbands must support their wives and children.

(And the husband does sound foreign!)

HOLA4421

I don't condone people pretending to be split up, but the difference in income from the taxpayer if you do go down that route is probably considered by some people to be great enough to make the risk worthwhile. By the time you include your income support (which you wouldn't get if you lived with a working husband or wife), the higher child tax credits and the extra money towards the rent, you could be looking at as much as £200 a week extra income.

There are lots of ways to exploit our benefits system and stay within the law, and I would think many more people go down this route rather than the "pretending to be split up" saga. Things like restricting your working hours to ensure you maximise your benefits, even when full time work is available, milking an injury so as to get disability allowance, only working at things you enjoy doing, even if they pay paltry profits compared to what you could be doing, having more children than you would have had if you had had to pay for them yourself, so as to maximise not just child tax credits/benefit, but also housing allowance. Immoral? Possibly. Illegal? Not a chance.

Archived