• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm sure DE reading homeowners will be celebrating this news as they tuck into their meal of a Rice Krispies Bar.

Living the dream.

:lol:

Brilliant!!!!

petrol_prices_20042012.jpg

I guess you're highlighting high fuel prices and the cost of living as impacting on the affordability of everything else. As a side point, I can see these days diesel is dearer than petrol - that's a reversal from the old days

HOLA446
HOLA447

Is it possible that they keep running these house price ramping stories because on the days they do they see a spike in their sales?

If so, what does that say?

Presumably, HPCers are too tight to buy a newspaper so maybe lots of perhaps worried home-owners buy the paper when they see these stories?

HOLA448
HOLA449

I'm sure DE reading homeowners will be celebrating this news as they tuck into their meal of a Rice Krispies Bar.

Living the dream.

Quite

Why don't they tell it like it is - "the cost of housing is rising £64 a day" . Time for a celebration? - oh b**ger can't afford a drink ( of water even)and more housing costs

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

"And experts say prices will keep increasing for the rest of the year"

WTF? I would love to meet these experts. Oh it's the good olde ONS Office 'for' National Sadistic's

There are more housing experts on this site than the entire ONS ;)

There are more statistics experts on this site than the entire ONS too

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

That is fantastic news. But they could go with other really positive aspects like if your about to have grandchildren by the time they are old enough to buy a house there is no conceivable way they could possibly afford one (average house costing £800k by the time their 30 at £64 a day) so your grandchildren will be at best indentured servants of some wealthy landowner. Hooray :D:D:D it will be just like the middle ages again!

HOLA4415

That is fantastic news. But they could go with other really positive aspects like if your about to have grandchildren by the time they are old enough to buy a house there is no conceivable way they could possibly afford one (average house costing £800k by the time their 30 at £64 a day) so your grandchildren will be at best indentured servants of some wealthy landowner. Hooray :D:D:D it will be just like the middle ages again!

The majority couldn't give a crap. You only live once etc etc

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

my dad used to buy this, thought it was great and kept phoning me and telling me how house prices were allways going up and that property is the best bet ect.

i kinda hate my dad for that

I tell mine I will be VERY disappointed if they purchased an overpriced home now. ;)

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Here in France diesel is cheaper than petrol. I filled up today at €1.39 per litre, at current exchange rate that's £1.13 per litre :).

If shopping at Carrefour or Auchan or other supermarkets using a UK card, their EPOS may attempt to charge you in GBP. This is a new system they are implementing. If paying in Euro works out cheaper, press the red button and not the green when that option comes up. Where I am, if I pay in GBP it works out at about 4.5% more expensive than in the local currency

HOLA4420

If shopping at Carrefour or Auchan or other supermarkets using a UK card, their EPOS may attempt to charge you in GBP. This is a new system they are implementing. If paying in Euro works out cheaper, press the red button and not the green when that option comes up. Where I am, if I pay in GBP it works out at about 4.5% more expensive than in the local currency

Thanks for the tip, but I have a French card for use here, although I tend to use cash. I bought a homard on special offer €19.95 per kilo in Leclerc yesterday and the assistant rang it up as langoustine €29.95 per kilo, I wonder....

HOLA4421

I suspect by then, sales of houses will be banned in order to "lock in" the illusion and you will only be allowed to borrow against. tongue.gif

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Thanks for the tip, but I have a French card for use here, although I tend to use cash. I bought a homard on special offer €19.95 per kilo in Leclerc yesterday and the assistant rang it up as langoustine €29.95 per kilo, I wonder....

When at Auchan or Carrefour, you'll find me double checking everything at the barcode reader machine on the wall - sometimes I've saved myself time and money and discovered prices were fairly north - usually the lower price I'd seen was a promotion or for a slightly different product which I failed to notice. That said, did get some very trendy designer-alike jeans for just £1.80 last week at Carrefour - they must be slight seconds but no one here looks at me twice so doesn't matter at all :lol: Week before I got Italian-designer style shirts for a quid or two, perfect but being cleared. Actually they might have been proper quality, the packaging and brand ribbons in the pack didn't seem cheapo.

(I don't have a card here with their banks as they charge a monthly fee for it.)

HOLA4424

:rolleyes: That is very good advise, take note......if paying with a UK card pay in euros not sterling, works out much cheaper but the shops prefer you to pay in £ they then make out of the exchange rate, another middle man to feed. ;)

HOLA4425

:rolleyes: That is very good advise, take note......if paying with a UK card pay in euros not sterling, works out much cheaper but the shops prefer you to pay in £ they then make out of the exchange rate, another middle man to feed. ;)

Checkout op at one of the big chains moaned so much when I refused to enter my PIN after she pressed the green for the GBP that you'd have thought it was her own money we were talking about. She said "Sir, you are causing needless problems, the difference is so small...I have others to serve..." Eventually she reset the machine - very patronising of them to press the green without even asking, that option is for the customer to press not the cashier

Edited by inflating