Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
juvenal

Olympics Opening Ceremony

38 posts in this topic

[quote name='hotairmail' timestamp='1334838487' post='909017549']
I don't suppose half the planet (India and China) have even heard of them. So it won't be very interesting for them.

I think they would be more impressed by lots of people dancing and fireworks. The Chinese use the Red Army, the Indians its railway workers....perhaps we could mobilise the entire NHS.
[/quote]

Rehearsals are underway for a troop of 600 dancers on a fast food burger set - half will be in hoodies and half dressed as single mums with pushchairs as props. Of course, all pushchairs will be covered in a suitably spangly fabric in benefit book colours

... Edited by inflating

[quote name='buckers' timestamp='1334841672' post='909017636']
I can't work this olympic thing out - I have no intention of watching any of it myself, most people I speak to are (at best) ambivalent or just totally uninterested.

[b]Yet the tickets have all sold out :blink: [/b]
It's like I'm living in some sort of parallel UK.......

Buckers
[/quote]

Corporate jolly brigade? Foreign tourists? 1 out of every 10,000 people bought one? I wouldn't go unless I had a free seat and a decent buffet/booze plus a TV and DVD player with something interesting to watch

There's something around 8 million tickets sold which works out at around 12k per session/event.

Despite what everyone's trying to claim, I can't see this making much of dent to normal London life.

It's under 500k people per day, which is probably about the number of children that won't be going to school?

[quote name='Spot' timestamp='1334839326' post='909017582']
I'm sure you will be proved correct and i'm sure we'll be looking at it thinking "where did the money go? This is sh1t".
[/quote]

So this decade's version of the Millennium Dome.

[quote name='buckers' timestamp='1334841672' post='909017636']
I can't work this olympic thing out - I have no intention of watching any of it myself, most people I speak to are (at best) ambivalent or just totally uninterested.

Yet the tickets have all sold out :blink:

It's like I'm living in some sort of parallel UK.......

Buckers
[/quote]

What he said.

The few people I know who are expressing an interest are doing that for their children as they feel they ought to be involving them in some way.

Maybe they will just have a screening of "The Battle of Britain".

A story of how The Few, against all odds, gave a damn and bought a ticket in the face of a nasty regime of jackbooted Olympic Committee members who did their best to invade our Capital with Olympic lanes and German Hire cars.

[quote name='Frank Hovis' timestamp='1334851930' post='909017839']
The few people I know who are expressing an interest are doing that for their children as they feel they ought to be involving them in some way.
[/quote]
Probably a sense of something "historic" that must be commemorated.

I guess it all depends on how you look at it.

Not being a TV watcher or newspaper reader, I'm hoping for a relatively Olympics free time between 27 July-12 Aug 2012.

[quote name='Rare Bear' timestamp='1334851656' post='909017834']
As long as everyone remembers that it was inflicted on us by RedKen and TonyB.
[/quote]

That possibly explains my seemingly innate loathing of it.

I can see it happening already...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wcyLrPqC4[/media] Edited by LiveAndLetBuy

[quote name='Scary' timestamp='1334839356' post='909017584']
Counting on Al Qaeda to provide the fireworks?
[/quote]

well you need to listen to the subliminals in the london new years firework extravaganza from this last new years..

Maybe someone with a bit of time and inclination could do a spot of editing more to HPC/conspiracy theorist/TFH liking.
just to show them that we aren't overly keen on their playlist...so made up another one,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMpfC6-oVfg&feature=related Edited by oracle

[quote name=''Bart'' timestamp='1334842338' post='909017651']
Watched live they can be quite entertaining.

The opening ceremony for the 1991 World Student Games in Sheffield was surprisingly enjoyable.

I wouldn't have watched it on TV though.
[/quote]
Your council tax is still paying for that, isn't it?

I recollect singing in a concert commissioned by the games as part of their ceremonies. But the rest of it passed me by: it never even occurred to me to find out whereabouts any other events were being held.

Just seen Redgrave on the telly.

He looked so so old there. I suppose he must think the bit medals were worth it but it's all obviously taken a lot out of him. Edited by billybong