87 replies to this topic

#16 Brian Potter

Brian Potter

HPC Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:20 AM

As someone who is not a techy (40's), I really only cared if a phone rang people and sent texts. That is until I got an iphone.
I absolutely love it. It's idiot proof and works great. Yes they are expensive.
I have to say I've spoken to other people I work with who have just done the same and they are equally smitten. All have said they can't imagine switching to another phone. How that works for Apple is questionable because you look after this phone more because it's an aspirational product - so they would need to significantly improve it before you would shell out again.
What it comes down to is it is the first phone I've actually got to really like and covet as opposed to being like a set of car keys.
This is why people buy apple.
I've seen the whole fanboy/Microsoft thing in forums and it does not interest me (nor many others). I might (probably) dont know what I'm on about from a techy view - but I am a fairly typical punter and think apple stuff is great.

#17 scrappycocco

scrappycocco

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

apple isn't finished because they get it, make it simple so anyone can use it old or young - they won't deviate from this.........

apple release one phone tablet every year so people can upgrade easily, a new android tablet or phone comes out every bloody week....

also when people have spent over a 100 quid in the app store etc the next product they are going to get is one compatible.....

i dont understand how apple can go down when the market is always watching for what they are going to do next........

i actually think android is the sega of the day and it will be microsoft and apple competing it out.....

i had a 7" galaxy tab and a htc phone, both nasty devices, never bought a single paid app for either......the windows tablet on the other hand, that looks intriguing.....

#18 Monkey

Monkey

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:26 AM

As someone who is not a techy (40's), I really only cared if a phone rang people and sent texts. That is until I got an iphone.
I absolutely love it. It's idiot proof and works great. Yes they are expensive.

and this is not a dig at you, but its what Apple has done well, and thats get its name/marketing out there.

you could have easily got a Samsung galaxy S or SII for a hell of alot less and it will do the exact same, if not more than your iPhone. but there is less advertising for those products. and they are idiot proof too.

#19 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,031 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

I've seen the whole fanboy/Microsoft thing in forums and it does not interest me (nor many others). I might (probably) dont know what I'm on about from a techy view - but I am a fairly typical punter and think apple stuff is great.

Yep - spot on. Most people want a flash phone that works and does cool things. They are status symbols and people tend to buy the ones that are in vogue or their friends have.

I suspect, like my friend that I mentioned above, lots of iphone users will move over to the HTCs and Samsungs when their phone contracts are up - not because of some geeky tech stuff but because they look glitzy and flash.

I looked at a friend's lumina windows phone last week and he raved about all the techy geek stuff - but the phone looked dull and boring. None of the sparkle of the Samsungs and HTCs. I cannot see people buying it.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#20 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,031 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

apple isn't finished because they get it, make it simple so anyone can use it old or young - they won't deviate from this.........

This is why people buy their laptops - they just work so you can concentrate on doing what you do and not trying to get drivers to work with it like on windows machines.

Geeks get too caught up in geekdom not realising that 90% of people do not give a toss - they just want something to work and look cool.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#21 symo

symo

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am going to be buying a new PC shortly and was sorely tempted by the mid model iMac. (already own a MacBook Pro and iPhone 4).

However; I can buy most of the parts of a Mac and using guides on the interweb, I can install the Mac OS on a Hackintosh.
Apple's OS is robust (linux based) and easy to use in comparison to Windows, however the cost of hardware is in excess of what the market allows, and with no 'game-changing' product on the horizon they need to convert windows users to Mac buyers asap.
Need to understand how it has come to this? Read this Click here!

Money saving tips from the ever brilliant lifehacker.

End the BBC license fee

#22 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,031 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

I am going to be buying a new PC shortly and was sorely tempted by the mid model iMac. (already own a MacBook Pro and iPhone 4).

However; I can buy most of the parts of a Mac and using guides on the interweb, I can install the Mac OS on a Hackintosh.
Apple's OS is robust (linux based) and easy to use in comparison to Windows, however the cost of hardware is in excess of what the market allows, and with no 'game-changing' product on the horizon they need to convert windows users to Mac buyers asap.

With all respect, this is just geek techie stuff. What you just wrote makes little sense to myself with 20 years experience in IT. Joe Public does not think in this way.

#23 koala_bear

koala_bear

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:59 AM

Is the issue now facing Apple that they have sold their iphones to all those who can afford them?

Sort of:
They need previous customers to keep replacing old apple products with new ones.
They have convinced all the people who had money and were easy to convince. The rest will be harder to attract as they don't like being ripped off (i.e. apple taking a big cut on app purchases etc.), so additional new customers are likely to be less profitable (this will take a while to show up in the accounts thought).

#24 homeless

homeless

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,932 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:01 PM

just stick a linux variant ie ubuntu or whatever on a ibm compatible, why the hell bother to build a mac outta parts?. at one time it was worth building a pc outta parts, and if your looking for something special or un-usual it still is. but its been years since ive done its just not worth it. The laptop killed the selfbuilder.

#25 Paddles

Paddles

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

The posters on this thread discussing the technical merits of the products are missing the point.

Look at AAPL on a two year timeline graph and tell me there's no speculative purchasing of stock.
"And thus the rule, supported by the experience of centuries; the speculative episode always ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."
J. K. Galbraith - A short history of financial euphoria

My blog from enemy territory

#26 Democorruptcy

Democorruptcy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:36 PM

Despite the enormous sales by Apple the use of smartphones in the US is still incredibly tiny - the vast majority still use what are called feature phones. The growth potential for smart phones is amazing.

Is the issue now facing Apple that they have sold their iphones to all those who can afford them?

If the market is so huge surely they can lower their price?

Chinese slave wages aren't that high yet.

Democorruptcy
If you say "Democorruptcy" quickly, it sounds a bit like "Democracy". In a "Democracy" people vote for politicians who represent their interests. In the UK's "Democorruptcy" people can only vote for expense fiddling thieving MPs who are in the hip pocket of big business and the finance sector.

Governbankment
A "Governbankment" is a Government that has no line between itself and banks. It diverts public money (our taxes) to private companies (banks). George Osborne's Help to Buy Bail Banks, will see our taxes go to bankers to cover their losses on mortgages that default. The UK's Governbankment will even pay bankers "reasonable repossession fees" on Help to Bail Bank mortgages that default.

The Funding for Lending Scheme (FLS) is stealing from savers to make them pay for crimes by bankers. Via lower interest on savings, all the bank fines for PPI, LIBOR, interest rates swaps, etc. are being paid by savers so that bankers can keep pocketing bonuses. 

"We need to make a really big change: from an economy built on debt to an economy built on savings" - David Camoron Jan 2009
"Printing money is the last resort of desperate governments when all other policies have failed" - George Osborne Jan 2009
- So what do Camoron & Osborne do? Print money and leave interest rates at 0.5% when inflation is over 5%

If it is asserted that civilization is a real advance in the condition of man -- and I think that it is, though only the wise improve their advantages -- it must be shown that it has produced better dwellings without making them more costly; and the cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.
http://classiclit.ab...en-Part-2_4.htm

I want to tell you my secret now.... I see debt people

#27 Sour Mash

Sour Mash

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,895 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

People are beginning to get wise to the fact that their products, all be it look nice and have great advertising, are just over priced versions of whats already on the market.

To be fair to Apple (and I'm no fan) what they do is take a good concept or idea which quite often maybe hasn't been successful due to poor implementation and make a product around it that is polished to perfection - then of course sell it at a ridiculous price.

They certainly weren't the first mp3 player manufacturer - but they made mp3 players mainstream.
Same goes for smartphones - Nokia and MS had a huuuuuuge lead but Apple came along and made the first 'proper' implementation.
Even with tablets, we had Windows Tablet computing years earlier but it just wasn't well enough implemented.

They have a hardcore fanbase that will buy their stuff at any price and loudly sing its praises, hence the brand becomes attractive to the masses like a designer label.

They've been able to do this because of the influence of Steve Jobs who drove the company with a singular vision to produce exceptionally well thought out products (with the odd turkey). Now he's gone, I'm not so sure that they can continue to turn out the same level of quality.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#28 happy_renting

happy_renting

Mildly Irritated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

Profit taking. Even I was tempted.

I reckon they plan products at least a few years into the future so Jobs' demise might not affect AAPL for a while if ever. Then again, what do I know except that people love their products when exposed to them.

Not in any great detail, and only in outline two or three years at the most. Some trends are predictable (processor power and memory capacity doubling every 18 months or so, etc) but beyond that, there will be a lot of speculative stuff, but nothing like a fixed, detailed product specification.

The reason for this is simple. To be competititive, manufacturers in this sort of market (effectively commoditised mass-market consumer products) have to have a very short development cycle, in order to be able to react quickly to market changes and competition. So, once you are able to produce new designs quickly, there is usually little reason to hold off launching new products which give you competitive advantage.

The difficult stuff to predict is the disruptive, game-changing innovations, where being first is (usually) the best strategy - as long as you get it right first time. Again, competitors have to react quickly to roll out similar products, and having development and planning cycles years long is not good enough.

#29 bendy

bendy

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,301 posts
  • About Me:You nosy bastards!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

:lol:

No chance - at a public sector organisation I contracted at they got all the managers the latest iPhone every year!

#30 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,031 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

If the market is so huge surely they can lower their price?

Chinese slave wages aren't that high yet.

Apple can't - won't - lower its price as its price is what gives it its kudos and exclusivity - people buy iphones and other Apple kit much in the same way that Brits buy houses.

(Did you see what I did there?)

There is this great belief in tech companies - I have witnessed it for 20 years now - that they see the entire 7 billion of us as purchasers of their kit. It has been said time and time before with all sorts of IT gadgets and IT services.

Those geeks in Silicon Valley - I was one - really do not understand the planet at all outside of California. They can't get it into their heads that billions of people are struggling each day for clean water and finding something to eat. Yet they include such people in their potential sales for iphones, window phones, android phones, etc.

Yes, some day in some Star Trek future every one will have a mobile device of some kind, but I think we need to think about hunger and thirst and poverty before we add those billions to future sales growth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users