House Price Crash Forum

Good Financial Videos

HOLA441

With the objective of trying to understand how the monetary system works, I've watched a few videos now the most memorable of which were "The Money Masters" and "The Creature from Jeklly Island - a Second Look..."

Both very informative (I'd recommend them, they're both on YouTube though the first of them was/is a commercial effort, I think, you can buy it, but then I doubt they're too bothered if they can get their message to a world audience, as it has never been taken down)

Can anyone recommend any others, preferably something free and on YouTube that I can download and write onto a DVD - what have you seen that has really "opened your eyes" on the subjects of money/democracy? Thanks.

HOLA442

With the objective of trying to understand how the monetary system works, I've watched a few videos now the most memorable of which were "The Money Masters" and "The Creature from Jeklly Island - a Second Look..."

Both very informative (I'd recommend them, they're both on YouTube though the first of them was/is a commercial effort, I think, you can buy it, but then I doubt they're too bothered if they can get their message to a world audience, as it has never been taken down)

Can anyone recommend any others, preferably something free and on YouTube that I can download and write onto a DVD - what have you seen that has really "opened your eyes" on the subjects of money/democracy? Thanks.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Been wanting to watch this for some time but never get time!!

http://oyc.yale.edu/economics/econ-252-08

HOLA445

That was quick!

Thanks - downloading now (something appears to have crippled the plugin for IE so when you click "Download Video" - I think I have the paid-for version of RealPlayer to get that - you just get 1.7MB of nothing, but it works in Firefox, just in case anyone else has this issue - this isn't a "here's how to get around copyright" tip, these aren't commercial blockbusters, the issue is tech not copyright here)

These are the two I mentioned, seems rude not to put them up when I'm asking for others' choices..

Great presenter, very clearly explained, I'd say this was pretty essential viewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt1cayx0hs

Long, interesting, IMO flawed in its bias (but that's why I want to watch more of these..)

HOLA446
HOLA447

That was quick!

Thanks - downloading now (something appears to have crippled the plugin for IE so when you click "Download Video" - I think I have the paid-for version of RealPlayer to get that - you just get 1.7MB of nothing, but it works in Firefox, just in case anyone else has this issue - this isn't a "here's how to get around copyright" tip, these aren't commercial blockbusters, the issue is tech not copyright here)

These are the two I mentioned, seems rude not to put them up when I'm asking for others' choices..

Great presenter, very clearly explained, I'd say this was pretty essential viewing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXt1cayx0hs

Long, interesting, IMO flawed in its bias (but that's why I want to watch more of these..)

Have you read this? Had it on my reading list for a while but not prioritised it yet so wondered as it is clearly linked to the video link you posted.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Creature-Jekyll-Island-Federal/dp/091298645X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1334437730&sr=1-1

51mCfqXHQuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Have you read this? Had it on my reading list for a while but not prioritised it yet so wondered as it is clearly linked to the video link you posted.

http://www.amazon.co...34437730&sr=1-1

51mCfqXHQuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The presenter in the video is the writer of that book. The presentation is basically an evening speech, I haven't read the book, but I'd imagine it explores the items in the presentation and expands on them.

HOLA4411

Seems to be the same presenter as "The Money Masters" - I had thought the Oz video was an updated version of the former but a quick scan through shows it is different

Right, I've downloaded the Enron and Austrian ones so far (there's 700MB of my data allowance gone already, the internet seems to be bizarrely fast tonight) with the Oz one queued behind. Will pop back and get the others later. Should keep me busy for a while :)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Seems to be the same presenter as "The Money Masters" - I had thought the Oz video was an updated version of the former but a quick scan through shows it is different

Right, I've downloaded the Enron and Austrian ones so far (there's 700MB of my data allowance gone already, the internet seems to be bizarrely fast tonight) with the Oz one queued behind. Will pop back and get the others later. Should keep me busy for a while :)

The secret of oz is just a condensed and a little updated version of the money masters same story but a hour or so shorter

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

toobs

Classic, I was about to post this as it seems the concept of money printing completely eludes the average person despite it being mentioned all the time. It's one of the better videos to show the less savvy people (the ones that give you "the gaze" when you mention the i word), at least if they actually care about what's going.

HOLA4418

Haven't got links, but suggest:

IOUSA

The Secret of Oz (already mentioned)

Debtocracy - very interesting insight into Greece's problems.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Looks like some classical economic theory and expounds ways of exiting a boom/bust. Which is an eye-opener when you contrast the "Necessary features of a BUST" - for everyone elses' benefit:

- Interest rates increase

- Liquidation

- Prices of LOCG rise..

- Reallocation of resources

and then goes on to cite "Appropriate Goverment Policy" with a list of things a Government absolutely should not do. And, we're doing just about all of them. (If you want to see quickly, just play the video and skip around 'til you can see that bit of the whiteboard)

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_xIO731MAO4

The Greed aspect of money.

Inside Job is excellent, and The Ascent Of Money (Niall Ferguson) is good, but no full version is available on youtube for free. 2nd best is this:

Have seen one of the Ascent of Money episodes - have added to Amazon wish list, thanks

I watched money master`s a few years ago and IMO it is a must watch and a real eye opener

Something I have never looked into is when it was made it looks like early 2000`s late 90`s ?

The amazing part for me is the cycle that was predicted in the film has/and is now happening

I think that both the Jekyll Island one, and the Money Masters one, date from the mid 1990s. Very profound, and spot on (especially the Jekyll one)

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Have seen one of the Ascent of Money episodes - have added to Amazon wish list, thanks

Niall Ferguson has written a couple of whiter than white biographies of the Rothschilds and, as I recall, kisses that dynasty's rear end in at least one episode of that series

Just saying...

HOLA4424
HOLA4425