House Price Crash Forum

Could U.k. House Prices Fall Again By Another 20%?

tio

HOLA441

Nope. Last time house fell back to a ratio of 2.5 earnings - 1996ish.

Not going all chartist is that the bust tends to be proportional to the boom. Mainly due to the boom dragging speding in years earlier then the person having to pay interest.

Best example of that this time has been new cars.

+100 on the demographics. Although the age cohort is 1950->1965. This is a huge bulge of people.

I would wager that the bulk of these are in the public sector - not playing to the crowd here but the early 90s recession gutted out the seat warmers of this generation in the private sector. Anecdotally, when interact with any public body the bulk of the people are late 40s upwards. Just as well we've got such a booming economy and surplus to hale 3m as they switch from (I hesitate from saying working) paying tax to drawing a pension.

Havn't you heard, they are not retiring anymore, they are taking all the jobs away from school leavers.

Edited by campervanman

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

They could... but so could the currency. The only reason property prices aren't 50% of peak is the currency crashed 30%, property prices are 30% lower than you think they are.

But how many people does this affect? It's mostly rich people who have their money in non-property assets like gold. Why should a currency devaluation affect property prices outside London? If anything, prices should drop further as people have to use more of their income to pay for increasing costs on food, energy, etc.

HOLA443

Nope. Last time house fell back to a ratio of 2.5 earnings - 1996ish.

Not going all chartist is that the bust tends to be proportional to the boom. Mainly due to the boom dragging speding in years earlier then the person having to pay interest.

Best example of that this time has been new cars.

House prices will fall back to those levels only if interest rates get as high as they were in the 90s. Ultimately the equlibrium price for houses is the point where mortgage rates are affordable and relatively cheap compared to renting.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Havn't you heard, they are not retiring anymore, they are taking all the jobs away from school leavers.

Defined contribution pensioners (outside the public sector) are staying in work because 30 year retirement never adds up.

Defined benefit get theirs paid by people working today (who are not allowed to join these schemes) so they are not staying in the labour market.

HOLA446

House prices will fall back to those levels only if interest rates get as high as they were in the 90s. Ultimately the equlibrium price for houses is the point where mortgage rates are affordable and relatively cheap compared to renting.

Because strict planning means prices bear no relation to cost to build. They are instead a function of the maximum mortgage available at the time. So people always pay the most possible for their house, even if the mortgage is smaller and the interest rates are higher.

What a great system. Let's also tie milk and bread to average wages instead of the cost to produce them.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Because strict planning means prices bear no relation to cost to build. They are instead a function of the maximum mortgage available at the time. So people always pay the most possible for their house, even if the mortgage is smaller and the interest rates are higher.

What a great system. Let's also tie milk and bread to average wages instead of the cost to produce them.

Not all people are stupid.

HOLA449

It's going to take a 2008 style "event" to make any difference as far as I can see.

Since that drop we've seen volumes in house sales stagnate resulting in small to middling drops. Personally, I have been surprised at how resilient the market has been bearing in mind the complete calamity that has befallen the country. I'm also rather surprised that the value of the GBP hasn't plummeted further - instead it seems to have perked up a bit as hilariously it's seen as a much safer bet than the cluster that is the Euro.

I guess at the end of the day, if you're paying interest of 1.5% on your mortgage (as I am on the £500 I have remaining of it), why bother selling up and losing a fortune?

I'm currently looking for a house to buy. Easy to spot the repos (no carpets, taped up sinks/toilets etc) but even these are going for relatively good prices (Rightmove helpfully posts public notices of the offers).

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

What are the volumes currently?

Low - because banks turned off the money. My son has stopped eating chocolate this easter. No voluntarily. I put the eggs in a cupboard he can't reach.

My point was that mortgages are quoted as a multiple of wages. Nobody ever questions this. What other product not tied to the cost to produce? If you quote in wage multiples even if we lived 2000 years later in a world of unimaginable productivity, you would still have to save the equivalent of 3.5 years wages to buy a house. This is yet another aspect of house prices that bears no relation to underlying realities that is unseen by 95% of people. Just like inflation and the true worth of money it is unquestioned.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Really? I see it questioned frequently on this site.

Many here, myself included, may consider buying when mortgage multiples return to about three times salary. Until then we sit and wait.

Bruce - are you being deliberately argumentative? :-)

I did qualify my prior comments with "most" and specifically talked about a minority not being able to influence the system. Gotta get on with my Sunday.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I could ask the same question.

Bruce you replied to my post with a question that was not directly related then did that again and now you are just being silly. It came from you saying "not all people are stupid" when I had not said this. I'm not sure what your original point was or where you want this to go other than in circles.

HOLA4417

Bruce you replied to my post with a question that was not directly related then did that again and now you are just being silly. It came from you saying "not all people are stupid" when I had not said this. I'm not sure what your original point was or where you want this to go other than in circles.

You seem determined to argue that house prices will not fall. I happen to disagree.

HOLA4418

You seem determined to argue that house prices will not fall. I happen to disagree.

No I think they will fall but as I said people will pay the most possible under the available credit so long as strict planning remains and prices are quoted in multiple of wages.

Applying the above given the reduction in credit prices will fall. However I think this is missing a bigger trick.

HOLA4419

No I think they will fall but as I said people will pay the most possible under the available credit so long as strict planning remains and prices are quoted in multiple of wages.

Applying the above given the reduction in credit prices will fall. However I think this is missing a bigger trick.

Not when sentiment changes.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Not when sentiment changes.

No that's correct. I believe the British are mental when it comes to houses and a change in sentiment will require some kind of epic change that would be so disruptive I would simply leave the country, or will take so long I'll be dead.

HOLA4423

No that's correct. I believe the British are mental when it comes to houses and a change in sentiment will require some kind of epic change that would be so disruptive I would simply leave the country, or will take so long I'll be dead.

Sentiment changes like the wind direction, you'll see.

HOLA4424

I could, but that would mean revealing my exact location and I'm not prepared to do that.

I don't see why it has to be your exact location.

You say you have been watching the market and seen prices are 20% down, it should be easy. You can prove it and silence the doubters. If you don't you are going to add to the doubt.

HOLA4425

I could, but that would mean revealing my exact location and I'm not prepared to do that.

That's fair enough. However as I've said time and again on this forum I really could not care less about anecdotal evidence of one street. I'm interested in the UK as a whole as I would like to see our country get back on it's feet. I would not be happy if I could buy a house cheaply whilst the rest of the UK continues in a crap situation. Hence my other post, that clearly got you excited, about prices in Hampshire. The data shows prices have not fallen (albeit repos excluded). Even if you bought somewhere at 25% of the peak the average person is still screwed. That's a very sad situation IMHO.