Why Country Life Costs You £264 More A Week Than A City Dweller

40 posts in this topic

I'm not seeing it.

I live in the countryside now and only yesterday had a tanker deliver me 500litres of energy dense oil. £335 is all it cost me to get through our cold spell and I doubt we will use much now until December.

We used/spent way more on mains gas when we were townies. Now calor gas f*** me that is expensive. A neighbour up the road converted to this before it became really expensive and pays out £3k a year to heat his similarly sized 3 bed property to ours.

Three good towns within 10miles of me so get the best of both worlds. I wake up to the smell of cow manure and can shop til I drop from home bargains and the like offsetting the 2litres of fuel I need to get me there.

Edited by longtomsilver

And water. And minerals. And timber. And electricity production..!

Someone mentioned the school run... thing is, as I keep mentioning, there's 1) living in the middle of frickin' nowhere and 2) living in a small town. In my town, population 3000 and surrounded by miles and miles of countryside, there's a primary school and a secondary school. Indeed apart from those who come in from surrounding villages, almost all pupils walk or cycle to school as it's near and safe to do so. For those in nearby villages there are dedicated school buses.

I do live "rural" but not ridiculously rural. There are shops, a supermarket, even a swimming pool.. and decent broadband.

That's the thing, I don't think you could describe most places as being definitely 'City' or 'Country'. I don't think there is a definition.

I live in a suburban area on the edge of London, which would fall into the 'City' definition, given that you can walk to everything within a few minutes (station, parks, large town centre etc). It is quite built up.

A few miles away, there is the commuter belt, a 'posher' area which is much less urban, but is still definitely suburban rather than rural (I am sure most of the residents would mutter about how 'countryfied' it is, though!). People who live here will generally drive their kids to school, drive to the supermarket/station/restaurants, compared to a lot of people who live in proper rural towns who have those facilities right on their doorsteps.

It would still cost vastly more to live in this type of area because the increased house prices would outweigh any other savings made.

I'm struggling to believe this. I think what they've done to get to this figure of £13,740 is to take the worst case of every town/country comparison they make. The one that jumps out is the insurance costs:

Some of these homeowners face excesses of £10,000. This is because insurers are increasingly wary about offering flood insurance because a government agreement to boost flood defences is about to run out. Excesses this high can make it difficult for people to get a mortgage.

I think the majority of the countryside does not count as high flood risk, so wouldn't suffer these excesses on their insurance - and £10,000 is the extreme example...so, yes, it's a little more expensive to live in the countryside, but not as much as they are saying for most people.

However, this was the passage that got me:

‘People in the countryside are being clobbered with rising insurance, lower wages and the gradual disappearance of rural shops, forcing them to travel further for even simple items,’ says Barney White-Spunner, executive chairman of campaign group the Countryside Alliance.

‘The countryside isn’t all Downton Abbey — many people are really struggling to get by, yet get little or no relief from the Government.’

So they seem to want their lives subsidised by central government, but when the majority of the nation disapproves of them setting packs of dogs on small animals for fun, they tell us we're ignorant townies who should stay in our towns and mind our own business.

Edited by acer

I'm not sure whether I am in the "country" or not! :blink:

What is the definition on which this article is based?

I'm struggling to believe this.......... figure of £13,740.....

That's because it is nonsense. It's a stupid and annoying article not worth entertaining.

1334496283[/url]' post='909014161']

I'm not sure whether I am in the "country" or not! :blink:

What is the definition on which this article is based?

Basically if ur not in London zone 1 then ur in da country innit!

Basically if ur not in London zone 1 then ur in da country innit!

Interesting comment! I was quite serious about asking the question! :blink:

I'm near Bristol, but still outside it! We have streetlights and telephones, and all that!

I only have to walk half a mile to see a horse or two!

Where IS the "country"? And where does it stop! :o

Actually, what I am trying to get at, is the very precise figure of £264, when the "country" has not been defined! :blink:

Bad article! :ph34r:

Actually, what I am trying to get at, is the very precise figure of £264, when the "country" has not been defined! :blink:

Bad article! :ph34r:

...Town, when you are within walking distance of a train station, maybe.....costs £264 more a week living in the country is rubbish, I know of many that have less than that a week in total to live on, a fairy tale. ;)

I live in rural north Herefordshire (moved up from S/E a few years back). My thoughts :

- Heating oil has gone up 100% in the last few years, and if you have an old stone cottage (or similar vintage property) then it's going to cost some oil to keep warm. My 4 bed place uses 2000 litres a year - this winter has been less due to mild weather, and upgrading loft insulation and fitting some secondary glazing. We spend about £120 on logs (open fire in a central location in the house).

- You could not live where I live and not have a car, unless you're a hermit. Public transport starts in the village 1.25miles away, there's nowhere to leave a bicycle and the services are so irregular as to be unusable. The service to Hereford takes nearly 1 hour (costs £4.50 return) , a journey that can be done in a car in 15 minutes (about £3 of diesel return trip)

- Petrol and Diesel costs more than other parts of the country (we currently have 144.9p Petrol and 149.9p Diesel per litre)

- Car and house insurance is cheaper. (low crime levels)

- There is plenty of free parking in the nearby villages and towns, even Hereford city has plenty of free parking, or short stop free spaces.

- I never visit a bank, I've not used a cashpoint machine since the days when they were free.

- I get 6Mb internet connection, plus good Orange coverage (not quite constant 3G), we use Lovefilm (postal) for movies, or the broadband can stream (even BBC HD).

The biggest savings of a move to the country come from a change of life to a less 'consumer' lifestyle. I can go for a whole month without visiting a city or town - when you don't regularly go to the shops you simply get out of the habit of spending money. You are not (generally) amongst people who notice what you drive, or your make of watch, etc - so there's no real pressure to 'keep up'.

Lastly, as another poster said - I would not be surprised to find that many people in the villages around here do not earn £13740 in a whole year.

This article looks to be nonsense to me, looks like the authour has an agenda of some sort.

Buckers

I don't understand. It's all b*ll*cks. Country Lifecosts £170 for a year's issues, or £110.50 if you subscribe.

True, but perhaps 'A City Dweller' annual susbcription comes with a free 4 door saloon?

I don't understand. It's all b*ll*cks. Country Lifecosts £170 for a year's issues, or £110.50 if you subscribe.

You can read it for free at the doctors surgery. ;)

Noticed little jobs that need doing, such as plumbing, building etc far cheaper than the labour costs in London....and they give the manure for the garden away for free, all you can carry. :)