House Price Crash Forum

My First Sov

HOLA441

I was wondering if you could help.

So i purchased my first sov. It was a new 2012 coin and came sealed in a royal mint seal.

I purchased the coin from a dealer I know many of you buy from on here.

I did notice however the coin was a little more red/copperish than i was expecting. This was comparing it to many pictures online.

But now having done a bit more searching and looking around I now notice the 2012 "real life pictures" on ebay of sovs tend to have a red tint (hence it being 1 part copper) and that a lot of pictures online of coins are photoshopped (being a more gold colour).

Is this correct?

Also, I noticed the coin isnt perfect with a slight scratch (really small). I take this happens as it is not a proof coin. is this correct?

Thank You

HOLA442

Don't worry so much I believe sovs are 22 part pure gold and 2 part mixed alloy.

In future you're better to invest in .999 Gold Maples or similar.

If you want peace of mind visit a Gold Shop for advice in your local town.

Fake sovs are very rare. And hard work.

HOLA443

And most my coins have imperfections, it's easy to get paranoid it's a fake. I even cut a Kilo Bar of Silver in 1/2 because I was Convinced it was a fake :)

Peace of mind visit a local shop.

If you bought it from coinsinvestdirect or Weighton don't worry :)

HOLA444

And most my coins have imperfections, it's easy to get paranoid it's a fake. I even cut a Kilo Bar of Silver in 1/2 because I was Convinced it was a fake :)

Peace of mind visit a local shop.

If you bought it from coinsinvestdirect or Weighton don't worry :)

Yes, thats exactly it. I used to buy bars but now im into coins its a different ball game.

But yes, I could always go to a coin shop to confirm it as I do plan to buy more coins from them.

Thanks for your response.

HOLA445

You can also buy digital scales and acid tests kits.

Don't buy a cheap scales because they give false readings and make you even more worried..

HOLA446
HOLA447

Yeah, that's normal.

If you plan on buying a lot of coins in the future and especially if trying to get "bargains" from coin fairs, etc it'd be worth getting a Fisch

It's a bit pricey, but if it saves you buying one fake it's paid for itself.

HOLA448

Yeah, that's normal.

If you plan on buying a lot of coins in the future and especially if trying to get "bargains" from coin fairs, etc it'd be worth getting a Fisch

It's a bit pricey, but if it saves you buying one fake it's paid for itself.

Thanks dude, i shall look into that.

Do u know much about calipers and scales? As ive started to get coins, I was thinking it would be a good idea. Could you recomend any? :)

HOLA449

I found this info about uncirculated vs proof.So my slight imperfections are normal.

Uncirculated

The word "uncirculated" means exactly what it says, the coin has not been in circulation, however "ordinary" uncirculated coins often have bagmarks, edge knocks and other small scuffs and imperfections. Uncirculated "specimen" coins issued specially for collectors are often more carefully produced and handled, so they may be better than ordinary coins mass produced for circulation, but may still have some small imperfections.

Taken from: http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/prooforuncirculated.html

HOLA4410

I also found this below:

My friend showed me two gold sovereigns, an 1918 King George sovereign and a brand new 2012 gold sovereign which is still sealed in royal mint plastic. I was just wondering why the 2012 gold sovereign had a much more copper tone then the older one which looked much more gold looking.

Btw they're both real so is it because of the age of the older coin which is still shiny and very clean.

Thanks in advance

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120120114758AAcZt94

Has anyone bought a 2012 sovereign here?