House Price Crash Forum

Rail Price Hikes For Olympics

HOLA441

Who are all these people that have all this money to come to London to watch sports most people have never heard of? Most of the venues are tiny.

Like so many things in the past, people think they can make a fast buck, but the reality will be a fairly busy London summer.

Check the hotel bookings for the Olympic period!!

I've heard shows and tour booking are way down on normal.

London is a very expensive holiday destination - not a good fit for these recessionary times. I'm not really noticing any 'Olympic Fever' building either. The local shop had some 'Cadburys Medals' today, a large circular piece of chocolate on a tacky ribbon. This is all I've seen to date.

After the 'freestuff riots' I'd be a bit concerned about security too . . . but of course, if anything does happen, it can be seen on CCTV afterwards.

HOLA442

Going back to the original post.

Buying that far ahead does not get you the best price. Buying about a fortnight ahead on East Coast is about the sweet spot.

Often 1st class is cheaper than standard at that point.

You're missing the point.

People are not willing or able to tolerate having to play those sorts of games just for having to travel relatively short distances within their own country. If, at the time I decide I'm going to travel (which, in the case of a York-London weekend trip to visit my relatives, is usually on the Tuesday or Wednesday beforehand), I can't buy a ticket that is cheaper enough than driving to make it worth putting up with the unpleasantness and unreliability of public transport, then I'm just going to drive - it's as simple as that.

HOLA443

I was booking my advance train tickets today and for the week around the 11th of July East Coast trains have nigh on doubled (and in some cases trebled) their prices to London. Now I notice that most seats are occupied by suits who are not paying themselves in all likelihood but this really is takimng the piss. I would have to spend 750 pounds to go from Newark to Kings Cross for that week.

I hope this isn't just a lead into 75 each way becoming the norm else I will be joining the dole queue.

Where are you looking? They don't normally release the cheap tickets until about 3 months ahead. On the East Coast website you can get the Super Off Peak return for £59 but no Advance tickets yet. The Olympics doesn't even start until another two weeks after the 11th July!

Who knows with all this teleworking during the games, a lot of people may realise come August that they don't need to go to London that often - Olympics or not.

HOLA444
HOLA445

You're missing the point.

People are not willing or able to tolerate having to play those sorts of games just for having to travel relatively short distances within their own country. If, at the time I decide I'm going to travel (which, in the case of a York-London weekend trip to visit my relatives, is usually on the Tuesday or Wednesday beforehand), I can't buy a ticket that is cheaper enough than driving to make it worth putting up with the unpleasantness and unreliability of public transport, then I'm just going to drive - it's as simple as that.

The whole point of cheap tickets is so they can say "from £20" when in fact the median ticket price is far higher. I agree I don't have time for this kind of crap and find the lack of transparency most annoying. Wanting to travel but not spending ages finding out when the "sweet spot" is should not make you the sucker.