Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bendy

Foody Diet Types

30 posts in this topic

....what about some dark soy sauce...

Yeah, dark soy - would need less than a teaspoon at a guess. Quite often use it to darken gravy.

If you just want a richer red, then a smallish amount of paprika would do the job without affecting the heat or overall flavour balance too much (even hot paprika is more of a warm spice than hot like chilli.)

Some "toned-down" versions of notoriously hot recipes use a paprika/chilli mix to get depth, warmth and colour without the excessive burn.

Tamarind concentrate is very dark and gives a pleasant sourness, more gentle than vinegar or sour juices. One to add a little, taste, little bit more, taste, stop when happy.

When you at the starting from scratch stage, Sarah's onion darkening suggestion is good.

I do that with Burmese curries, slowly frying the pureed onion and spice mix until it turns into a kind of deep brick-red jam. They'll often get a little boost from tamarind at the end too.

thanks for the tips. sandwich pickle is today's challenge.

Used to be a no-brainer for me - Pan Yan. Was Branston Pickle's minority rival. Branston bought them out and, oddly enough, the Pan Yan factory got burned down, so you can't get it anymore.

A friend at work suggested using Patak's Brinjal pickle on cheese sandwiches. That was surprisingly good.

I'm using a lot of Rishta pickles and chutneys for my Indian food at the moment. I might well try those with cold-meat, cheese, sandwiches. Their Chili-carrot one could be sneaky way to get a chili hit and claim your cheese sandwich is one of your 5-a-day.

Baxters Albert's Victorian Chutney is pretty good too.

Used to be a no-brainer for me - Pan Yan. Was Branston Pickle's minority rival. Branston bought them out and, oddly enough, the Pan Yan factory got burned down, so you can't get it anymore.

A friend at work suggested using Patak's Brinjal pickle on cheese sandwiches. That was surprisingly good.

I'm using a lot of Rishta pickles and chutneys for my Indian food at the moment. I might well try those with cold-meat, cheese, sandwiches. Their Chili-carrot one could be sneaky way to get a chili hit and claim your cheese sandwich is one of your 5-a-day.

Baxters Albert's Victorian Chutney is pretty good too.

Chutney is one of the easiest things to make yourself......if you like it and use it often you should try making it, seriously. ;)