House Price Crash Forum

Alex Hope, Arrested In Fsa Probe And Raj Shastri Bankrupt And Jailed Merged Thread

HOLA441
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

but, he was a god...he was on the telly, he was a god...a god I tell you.

Where iz the Assetz guyz in all thiz?

HPC gets them all, eventually. (Him at around 0.25)

HOLA443

Each trying to blame the other.

Hope:

Speaking in mitigation, he blamed his co-defendant for leading him into the fraud.

He said: "The scheme was relatively unsophisticated.

"The prosecution said the scheme had complexity and cleverness, but I don't think these elements existed.

"My age demonstrates lack of experience that would explain my naiveté in this case. I was enthralled to my co-defendant.

"The scheme began with good intentions and became overwhelming and out of control. Prior to my co-defendant being involved it was a small scheme among my friends.

"My co-defendant brought in the lion's share of investors to the scheme.

"I am deeply and truly sorry to the investors. My intention was never to defraud people.

"The fraud conviction against my name will affect me for the rest of my life."

(Final line: that's the point, you frickin' pillock)

Shastri/von Badlo:

Bernard Tetlow, representing Von Badlo, said his client was deceived by Hope's "charm" and lies into thinking he was a genuine trader.

He said: "This has had a devastating effect on my client's personal and business life.

"He joined the scheme in good faith and with the best intentions. He feels a great responsibility and remorse to those, many his friends, he persuaded to enter the scheme. He himself invested £165,000.

"He genuinely believed in Hope. He was naïve and gullible to do so.

"Hope told detailed and persistent lies about himself and his abilities as a trader. He looked and sounded like a financial whizz kid, the genuine article. He was duped by him.

"Sophisticated investors were taken in by the persistent lies and frauds Hope carried out."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11380872/Fraudster-who-passed-himself-off-as-City-playboy-jailed.html

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA444
HOLA445

Masked Tulip:

Hope’s co-defendant Raj Von Badlo, also known as Raj Shastri, pleaded guilty to an offence of recklessly making false representations to investors and a further offence of promoting a collective investment scheme without authorisation at a hearing on 22 July 2014. He was sentenced to two years and 12 months, which he will also serve concurrently.

How much of that two year sentence will Shastri actually serve? Twelve months, a bit more?

Not much of a deterrent.

So for someone like Shastri the life options are; A, live 50 years in marginal poverty, or B, live 44 years in marginal poverty, 1 year in a low security prison, and 5 years in jaw dropping luxury being fawned over by beautiful TV presenters and hailed as a commercial titan.

We're frequently told the secret of happiness is building up a rich store of amazing memories, if that's true then maybe Shastri made the right call? All in all, a five year tariff might have been a better judgement.

HOLA446

How much of that two year sentence will Shastri actually serve? Twelve months, a bit more?

Not much of a deterrent.

So for someone like Shastri the life options are; A, live 50 years in marginal poverty, or B, live 44 years in marginal poverty, 1 year in a low security prison, and 5 years in jaw dropping luxury being fawned over by beautiful TV presenters and hailed as a commercial titan.

We're frequently told the secret of happiness is building up a rich store of amazing memories, if that's true then maybe Shastri made the right call? All in all, a five year tariff might have been a better judgement.

He could be out on a tag after 6 months (if he has a secure address to go to), and as its a white colar crime will more than likely get shipped out to a CAT C or D jail fairly quickly... they're still full of murderers and horrid cnts but your not banged up for 23.5 hours a day.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Not much of a deterrent.

Depends on your mind-set. Wouldn't work for me - in no way whatsoever - netting a fortune in some fraud or deliberate deception from a group of investors. I would be riddled with guilt, feelings of no-self worth; regardless of ability to have a mansion/luxury this and that, from the proceeds. You need a really callous streak to do it, and not to be affected from such feelings. Although I am fully aware such people exist; too many of them. At the same time against this ponzi, I do have occasional moment of questioning if I'm too honest for my own good; that's because even very humble house around here costs a bloody fortune, under 0.5%, UK/Global QE $multi-trillions/FLS etc - question if HPI galore/protection last forever... risk of savings/income collapse and possible future real poverty into old age...but then I shake it off.

You might have great memories of your Porsche... I have great memories of cars bought from auction for a few hundred pounds, family, friends and other non-expensive life experiences or budgeted ones. Although it does grate the complacency and sometimes whine of so many (not you), market participants who had astonishing opportunity in the market of their day; and house prices as they are still today, and still all the MSM / general love of HPI growth.

One hope I do have is some reports from a relative (female hpcer in her early 30s) who attends many social sports activities - claims she's seeing more humbleness / politeness among many 16-19 year olds she encounters; less of the 'big I am' and not as affected by consumerism.

Anyway this guy Shastri now has opportunity to make new amazing memories; in gaol. And we can't know if he had luxury to return to (yes, technically bankrupt, but still may have lots of assets - may face claims by creditors or legal claims)...

Bankruptcy https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-60486-1808836

Side info https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-60546-1846668

Side info more https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2145544

.. there's a few more

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/1/weir-house/riversdale/bourne-end/sl8-5eb/21815702

I bought my first house in the very early 1980's. It was three bedroomed terraced house in a decent part of Sheffield, it cost about £10,500 and my pay was about £5,750.

After a couple of years my job took me to London, in price terms I virtually swapped my Sheffield house for a one bedroom flat with an SW1 post code, Sloane Square was less than a five minute walk away and the nearest "off licence" was Berry Brothers & Rudd.

A couple of years after that I paid about £22,000 for a two bedroom flat in Fulham, I think at the time my wages had topped £10,000. Property costs can't have been too much of a burden because soon after I bought a Porsche.

Incidentally, I had no student debts and a rock solid final salary pension that subsequently allowed me to retire at 55.

Absolutely none of this is available to my children. They're fortunate in that I can afford to match for them the benefits that I was lucky enough to enjoy, but anyone from my generation who thinks their own hard work and industry were the keys to their good fortune is just taking nonsense. We were the most privileged generation that has ever lived.

Edited by Venger

HOLA449

Depends on your mind-set. Wouldn't work for me - in no way whatsoever - netting a fortune in some fraud or deliberate deception from a group of investors. I would be riddled with guilt, feelings of no-self worth; regardless of ability to have a mansion/luxury this and that, from the proceeds. You need a really callous streak to do it, and not to be affected from such feelings.

I couldn't agree more.

But someone as loathsome as Shastri clearly dances to a different tune, I doubt all the would be Shastri's out there will be much deterred by this sentence.

HOLA4410

Anyway this guy Shastri now has opportunity to make new amazing memories; in gaol. And we can't know if he had luxury to return to (yes, technically bankrupt, but still may have lots of assets - may face claims by creditors or legal claims)...

Bankruptcy https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-60486-1808836

Side info https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/L-60546-1846668

Side info more https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2145544

.. there's a few more

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/1/weir-house/riversdale/bourne-end/sl8-5eb/21815702

Thanks for posting those links

HOLA4411

Not much of a deterrent.

Some of the folks he ripped off, might decide to take the law into their own hands when he comes out

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Are these people actually for real in these videos? Some spiv has just knocked at your door, clutching a piece of badly printed A4 paper and the second woman would consider selling her house to him, at around 70% of the market price, because it says the word 'quickly' on it?!

Are people actually so willing to give them a sound bite?

HOLA4419

Are these people actually for real in these videos? Some spiv has just knocked at your door, clutching a piece of badly printed A4 paper and the second woman would consider selling her house to him, at around 70% of the market price, because it says the word 'quickly' on it?!

Are people actually so willing to give them a sound bite?

Bit of "caught in the spotlight" going on there I think. It's probably easier for most people to say "Yes, I'd consider it" rather than say "Not in a million years" and then be asked to explain why not. Which in most people would lead to a bit of a Homer Simpson empty headed moment, more so under the pressure of the camera and microphone being shoved in your face.

I think they're just trying to not look like a twit on national TV.

HOLA4420
  • 4 months later...
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423