House Price Crash Forum

Property Listed With Two Agents

HOLA441

My luck and patience are running out. After losing the first offer I made in a 6-bids war, here I am with making the 2nd offer, different flat obviously. It ticks all my boxes, location, long lease, service charges, affordability etc.

Flat was just listed on the market last Friday and I made the offer yesterday evening, very close to asking price, to make sure I get it (desirable area, good price etc). Agent said fantatstic, we'll get back to you tomorrow (this morning). They didn't have any other offers on the table, just some interested people.

This morning I check my email and surprise, the greedy owner just listed with another agent as well, although the flat is very sellable at his asking. Now, I don't really care about this, but I want the flat and although I would prefer not to, I'm willing to go and offer the asking price. However, I'm now concerned with the scenario where my offer gets accepted and I start the paperwork, then somebody else offers more through the other agency and I lose it.

What should I do? :(

Edited by anukis

HOLA442

Just quit moaning. Nothing sinister about two agents, it just means the second one took longer than yours to hit your information source after being instructed.

Having said that, if you find it so attractive then it's likely the price is right, which could mean enough people interested to spark further bidding. I was recently one of three bidders on a lovely little cottage, but pulled out rather than make a bidding war of it (rather someone else gets a bargain than that we bid the price up to where noone does).

HOLA443

Just quit moaning. Nothing sinister about two agents, it just means the second one took longer than yours to hit your information source after being instructed.

Having said that, if you find it so attractive then it's likely the price is right, which could mean enough people interested to spark further bidding. I was recently one of three bidders on a lovely little cottage, but pulled out rather than make a bidding war of it (rather someone else gets a bargain than that we bid the price up to where noone does).

The agents were completely unaware of each other, I told them myself this morning. I thought multi-listing had to be transparent and agents would know about eachother?!

Also just got my offer accepted and apparently the seller says will take it off the market and also says they won't release the keys to the 2nd agent, but how do I ensure that viewings won't happen with them?

Edited by anukis

HOLA444

There is nothing you can do. You have to take his word.

Edit to add.

I sold a property in 2002 on with two agents. First offer came in agent one, second better offer came in agent two, third offer came in with agent one but the agent requested permission from me to obtain the keys from agent two.

Edited by neil324

HOLA445
HOLA446

simple - get a friend to phone agent 2 and ask for a viewing - or phone them yourself and see what happens

We just did that this morning. The 2nd agent agreed to a viewing for next week and told my friend that there was an offer on the table for £xxxK and they'll take any higher offers. The first agent told us yesterday that the seller said they won't release the keys to the 2nd agent. All of them are probably lying.

Beautiful.

ps. first agent took the listing off the website. 2nd agent didn't, and it's on their website and findaproperty site.

Edited by anukis

HOLA447
HOLA448

[quote name=Oh Well :(' timestamp='1333545937' post='909006688]

Get in quick before the big rise in prices predicted in the spring. ;)

thank you for the irony but we have our own life schedule we go by :-)

HOLA449

My luck and patience are running out. After losing the first offer I made in a 6-bids war, here I am with making the 2nd offer, different flat obviously. It ticks all my boxes, location, long lease, service charges, affordability etc.

Flat was just listed on the market last Friday and I made the offer yesterday evening, very close to asking price, to make sure I get it (desirable area, good price etc). Agent said fantatstic, we'll get back to you tomorrow (this morning). They didn't have any other offers on the table, just some interested people.

This morning I check my email and surprise, the greedy owner just listed with another agent as well,

why is the owner "greedy" for wanting to sell at the best price, yet buyers aren't "greedy" for wanting to bag a bargain?

tim

HOLA4410

why is the owner "greedy" for wanting to sell at the best price, yet buyers aren't "greedy" for wanting to bag a bargain?

tim

multiple listing, to the best of my knowledge, is supposed to happen with all EAs knowing about eachother and there are different fees and certain agreements taking place. when the offer is accepted under the condition 'take it off the market', all EAs should stop viewings.

in my case the seller accepted my offer with agency 1 and continued to show the property with agency 2 hoping to get a better offer. it was only for several days but still..

anyways, it's all history now... hopefully I'll get to the contract exchange phase sooner rather than later.

thanks all!

HOLA4411

This morning I check my email and surprise, the greedy owner just listed with another agent as well, although the flat is very sellable at his asking. Now, I don't really care about this, but I want the flat and although I would prefer not to, I'm willing to go and offer the asking price. However, I'm now concerned with the scenario where my offer gets accepted and I start the paperwork, then somebody else offers more through the other agency and I lose it.

What should I do? :(

If you're serious about it, and have funding in place, then make your offer conditional on the flat being taken off the market, to show good faith.

It's not an unusual thing to ask.

However, you may need to check that they've actually done it.

It's not unusual to ask, but you need to check that they've actually done it.